Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

Finished the quilt for Jen! 3 pics

mary_c_gw
16 years ago

And here it is! This is the quilt for my son's girlfriend. She turns 21 on the 4th of July. I'm not sure I want to let it go, LOL.

Mary

Comments (29)

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

That's absolutely stunning! And the quilting pattern is so right for the design.

• juju56
    16 years ago

Just Beautiful!!
    Juju

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, biwako and juju. I think my deck needs a pressure wash, it's looking so dingy next to the quilt, LOL.

Mary

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Nice one, Mary! Great quilting!!!!!!

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    16 years ago

That's beautiful Mary. There's is something so striking about that block and your color choices are fabulous. What a wonderful 21st birthday present.

• coalaska
    16 years ago

What beautiful quilting! Great job, Mary.

:) Cheryl

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

That is just gorgeous. LOVE that blue, and so sharp against the white. And the quilting is amazing! The whole things is a beauty. I'd be hard pressed to part with it too!!!! (Tell you son he'd better be serious about this girl, LOL!)

How did you do the quilting?

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all!

The quilting was actually pretty easy. It's a pantograph pattern, but I think I followed it pretty well, and it suited the quilt.

Mary

• redpenny
    16 years ago

That's absolutely gorgeous!Beautiful quilting!
    Red

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Actually, I think the deck makes the beautiful blue stand out more!!!!
    I love the quilt.
    Rosa

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

That's beautiful!! Don't lmow if i'd part with that til she had a ring on her finger.LOL
    Kathi

• ironkit
    16 years ago

Fantastic. Is that the snail's trail block?

I love how my eyes just don't stop moving. It's a great combination of colors!

~ Kit

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Beautiful! But I learned the hard way about sons' girlfriends - I didn't even get a thank you for the jewelry I gave as a Christmas gift. I won't be making any quilts until I give the newlyweds a wedding quilt.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Kit,
    I found 2 names for the block - Snail's Trail and Virginia Reel. I called it Virgina Reel - just because dancing seems more enjoyable than slimy snails,LOL.

Kathi, ring or no, I simply adore this young woman. Even if she didn't think my son hung the moon, I'd like her enough to make a quilt for her.

I confess, I keep going into the dining room to "pet" the quilt. I am so happy with it, and proud to brag.

• grammyp
    16 years ago

My favorite color! What a great quilt, love the pattern, love the color, realllllly love the quilting. And the deck looks fine, nice contrast to the quilt.

beverly

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

What a nice quilt. You must have a longarm. You did a fantastic job on the quilting. That is the perfect stitching for that pattern. I agree with some of the others about the ring, but it must be a wonderful thing to love the girlfriend enough without it. It will be all the sweeter if she ever gets the ring!

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well,
    Seriously, they are 21(Jen) and 20 (Paul). PLEASE no rings just yet!!

But Jen has visited my studio and admired my quilts. I passed that off as "polite", until Paul said' on his next solo visit, "Hey Mom, Jen really liked your quilts! She asked all sorts of questions - you need to talk to her, because I don't know how to answer."

They are both such great people. They met last year on the Texas 4000 Ride. This was a bicycle ride from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AL to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society.

Two groups of 20 traveled 2 different routes from Austin to Anchorage. 4500 miles, 70 days. Each participant had to raise $4000 or more to be able to ride. They stopped and gave talks in local hospitals, and visited with cancer patients.

Yeah, even if Jen and Paul never marry - this amazing young woman gets a quilt!! Just the fact that she quizzed my almost-clueless son would do it, LOL

Mary

• kelly4905
    16 years ago

Mary, what a gorgeous quilt! Jen's a lucky recipient, and sounds like she'll love it. She and your son are great people to have done such a bike ride. Wow! I'm impressed with both of them!

Kelly (Nebraska)

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Mary,

For the quilting -- I mean do you have a long arm and frame or was that free motion on a little machine? I assume when you said "studio" and "pantograph" that you have a quilting frame? Either way I'm VERY IMPRESSED but if you actually made those swirls with free motion then I'm like -- blown away!

PS -- isn't it rewarding that she liked you quilts so much and was interested? She does sound like a nice girl!

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

That's a great quilt and the quilting is fab. She sounds very deserving of such a quilt! LOL

• User
    16 years ago

What a sharp lookingquilt. I love the color combination AND the quilting. Is that a longarm pattern?

Dianne

• dmsgal
    16 years ago

OMG what a stunning piece of work !!! I just love that color combination . The quilting is beautful also.Paul and Jen sound like wonderful people. You are very lucky.Mary in Va

• createandsew
    16 years ago

Great quilt! Sounds like she's "committed" to the value of a quilt - time will tell about the relationship. Keep the pictures, the quilt will have a good home.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,

Yes, I do have a longarm machine. No, that is not freehand! I'm not that good, LOL. It's a template, just follow the lines with a stylus.

Mary

• sunnycentralfl
    16 years ago

Congratulations on such a beautiful quilt! It is a real winner! You did such a nice job! You're a real artist!

Gwen

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Love the quilt. I think the deck frames the quilt very nicely. I don't think it would stand out as well if it were against 'clean/raw' wood color.

• csackett
    16 years ago

Very beautiful. Jenn is a very lucky woman. I love the quilting. What type of longarm do you use?
    Carolyn

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have an APQS Millennium. I love it!
    Mary

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

Mary,
    I went to the APQS website and I am DROOLING! I love how the picture on their home page shows the setup in the living room. (Is that so wrong????!!!!) I see now that I too, need a "studio" some day.