Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Triangles don't match up, need help!

Posted by meowcatninja (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 16:54

I have never worked with triangles before so I don't know if I'm doing this wrong.

I cut everything to the directions but the pieces don't match up.

Please view images here....
http://imgur.com/kjQwQDD

Do I trim the extra off? Am I doing this wrong? Are the sizes wrong?

Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of triangles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Triangles don't match up, need help!

I'm not sure I'm understanding the pictures, but if you are ending up with 1/2" extra at one end I think you may have lines up the leading edges when you sewed the triangles together. You may have to offset the leading edges by 1/4" for the seam allowance - so that when you open and press the two pieces, the edges line up. I'm not sure how to explain that any better. Maybe someone else here can...

Kate

o

"lined up", not lines up.

o

Does your pattern tell you how to line up the edges when sewing together? What's the name of the block? We might be able to give greater insight if we could see a picture of the completed block, too.

SharonG/FL

o

The way I look at this pattern is that the diagonal of the 4 7/8" block E needs to be the same measurement as the outside edge of the 5 1/4" block A (give or take the seam allowances) so that they can be joined. Well, the diagonal of the 4 7/8" block is 6 7/8", way too long to fit together as the picture shows. My guess is that the measurements are wrong. Just by looking at their diagram, I think that the difference between the two block sizes A and E looks like much more than 3/8".

I know this is very helpful, but I couldn't get it to work either. Sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here