Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

July 2010 Monthly Block Lotto

User
13 years ago

Here's how the monthly lotto works...

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Please note the following guidelines:

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month.

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

The winner is to choose a block and/or colors for a future lotto that will be added to the list.

July's block is Buckeye Beauty, chosen by Kate, and makes a 12" finished block. We'll be doing it in beige-on-beige for the light colored pieces, and purple or lavenders for the dark pieces. The pattern is available on Quilter's Cache. When you go to the pattern, look at the link to "Ruthie's". It's done in purple & white, but I love the idea of the purple & beiges. Instant aging to a beautiful heirloom look!

Another link to this block, the lotto guidelines and other information are also on our Google Docs page at:

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1Ewo2_i9Iep-US2Kvp7rGxl0vbysLoTf5ktE3kdqctZs&hl=en

I do wish the Google docs addresses weren't so long! Please bookmark this one. It takes you to the directory & once there you should be able to access all our pages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buckeye Beauty

Comments (88)

• calliope
    13 years ago

I've been participating in the lottos now for about three years, and only once have I seen one get so big that there were enough for more than one full or queen sized quilt and the winner used the extras for a charity. A very generous and appropriate destination.

I wouldn't want to see less than needed for a full-sized quilt split. How wonderful it would be to win enough to just sit down and make a quilt without having to make more. I have lost count of the number of blocks I've sent in, but it's substantial. I won one lotto and got back eight blocks in addition to the three I sent in. I was thrilled with just having eleven blocks, and it saved me a good deal of time......but we never know how many blocks any potential winner has sent in over the years, and they may have really earned the priveledge of getting a lot of them back and using them to their discretion.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with Calliope. But wouldn't it be nice if we could continue this level of participation? Wow, what a bonanza for someone each month!

Also, I'm asking for 2 volunteers to help do the winner choosing, one to receive the list of names and the other to choose a number. Once I've received the mail on the last day of the month, I'll email the names & numbers so they can be announced on the first.

Thanks for understanding my dilemma... I just keep drooling over these squares... maybe I'd better wash them before sending them on!

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Kat & Calliope you both made valid points. I tend to agree more w/Calliope tho, that one winner regardless of the # of blocks is still the best way. What # would be selected as the 'magic' one that is large enough to split?? If the winner has so many that there are blocks left over after making a queen sized quilt, all the better! Make a king:) or give the extras to charity, make a charity quilt...
    I've not been on the forum for as long as most of you, but as the winner twice - once winning 16 blocks, 3 of which were mine --- & last month winning 5 blocks, 3 of which were mine*! So my view is if there are a lot in a given month, let the winner get them all & rejoice!!

*I did later receive 2 more blocks from a dear quilter!! Thank YOU!

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Good idea with extra blocks to be used for a charity quilt if the winner so desires!! I work full time and have small children so I never think bigger than a lap size quilt. I think if I did nothing would ever get done!!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I think your proposed method of choosing sounds fine and fair. I can't volunteer this month because of traveling but another month I will.

I also think that the winner takes all! Let it be a feast if there are a lot of blocks. It makes it all the more exciting!

Kate

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Kay I'd be happy to help you any way I can.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, quiltpartner! Just need one more volunteer to help with the choosing next Saturday.

As we now stand:

Kate 3 - Received
    Kay 3 - Done
    Sue 3 - Received
    Cziga - 3
    Lafonda ranch - 2
    jck 1210 - 3
    quiltpartner - 3
    patti60 - 2
    Susan - 2 Received
    calliope - 3

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I finished mine yesterday and should get them in the mail this afternoon. Wow! I can't believe the number of blocks in this one. Good luck everyone!!

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

kay,

I just sent you an email because Google Docs is down and I can't get to your snail mail address. Help!!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

This lotto is so exciting! It's been a long time since we've had this many blocks involved!

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Whew!! Finally finished!! Didn't take much time but I kept procrastinating. Then when I set aside the time to do them this past weekend I've been getting interrupted since friday!!! Finally finished and I love the color combo, can't wait to see all the blocks laid out together when the winner gets them!!

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Just dropped them off in a fedex envelope so they should be there tomorrow!!

• calliope
    13 years ago

Mine were sent out Friday, so should be there now or very shortly. I also can't wait to see everyone's finished blocks. Whomever wins them BETTER TAKE A PICTURE!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jck 1210, Fedex just came knocking on my door.
    Wow, love those fabrics!
    OH, my, oh, my.. it's getting close!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Calliope, yours are here, too!

I can just picture the winner, lying back in bed, tossing them in the air and wallowing in the beauty!!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

The first year I participated in the lotto - 2007 or 2008 - one of the blocks was a scrappy Buckeye Beauty. There were lots of blocks involved and I wanted them so bad I could hardly stand it! I compulsively checked the website each day to see how many more there were and then held my breath on the day of the drawing. (no, I didn't win). Hate to admit it, but it's almost that bad this time too. I LOVE this block and think it will make a stunning quilt. I'm truly excited for whoever wins these beauties!

(BTW, have you seen the purple and lavender Minky fabrics on sale at fabrics.com? Either color would make a great backing for these!)

Kate

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Kate, after our conversation the other day I was thinking the same thing!!! I have five yards of minky on its way but i might have to order some lavender too. Whether I win or not, I'll be making this quilt!!!

Kat

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Be careful, Kat! Once you start with the Minky you won't want to stop. But I agree that lavender would be perfect!

• cziga
    13 years ago

Well, mine were sent out ages ago but (silly me) when I wrote the address, I was sending 2 envelopes on the same day and wrote half of each address so ... the envelope just came back to me yesterday. It being so late, I didn't want to pull out (blocks were already made, packaged and everything) so I send them UPS and hopefully will get to you in time :)

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

With that much effort I think cziga's blocks should be counted even if they aren't there on the 1st.

Kate

• jck1210
    13 years ago

I agree, I think Cziga's blocks should be counted also. I'm so excited to hear the winner announced (tomorrow?)and see a pic of all the blocks!!!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're almost there!

Lafonda Ranch, your blocks came yesterday, so here's where we are:
    Kate 3 - Received
    Kay 3 - Done
    polardream 3 - Received
    Cziga - 3 On their way
    Lafonda ranch - 2 Received
    jck 1210 - 3 Received
    quiltpartner - 3 Received
    patti60 - 2
    itsmesuzq - 2 Received
    calliope - 3 Received

We're still missing squares from another person. I've emailed to see if they're also en route.

Does everyone want to wait until Monday for Cziga's to arrive or do the drawing this evening? It's up to you, I'll be here all day today, but not on Monday.

Quiltpartner has volunteered to help with the drawing, so I'll be emailing her a name code. Then whoever is online this evening (would love an email ahead of time to know who that might be) can draw the number.

Let me tell you.. the winner is going to be one happy quilter! These squares are gorgeous. Hubby has camera with him for work, but has PROMISED me he'll do more pics tomorrow!

• calliope
    13 years ago

If you are going to accept Cziga's blocks late (and I don't have a problem with that either), it should only possibly delay sending the blocks. Why would it delay pulling the winner out on time?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, just wanted some feedback that it wasn't going to be a problem. In that case, we're ready to roll.
    The other quilter whose blocks weren't received won't be participating due to health problems.. hope she feels better soon.

And other than Cziga's, all blocks are here.

So we're ready to choose as soon as I have 2 volunteers to help draw the name!

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I'll be home tonight and can help if you don't have anyone.

Email = gwsolstice@gmail.com

Kate

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay everyone, I'll check the computer at 7 pm EDT and see if we have a couple of people on to draw the lucky name!

• calliope
    13 years ago

I'm online too Kay.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Me too

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I'm going to send Kate the list and calliope, when she posts that she has it, you pick a number between 1 and 25.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I've got the list of names... ready to shout out an answer as soon as Calliope give me a number!

• calliope
    13 years ago

Gotcha

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Calliope? The number?

• calliope
    13 years ago

Kate................the lucky winner shall be.........(drum rolls and a trumpet blast or two)

Number nine

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Congratulations to:

9 polardream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whooo.hoooooo.... you're gonna love this batch!
    I'll send them as soon as I receive cziga'a blocks!

• calliope
    13 years ago

Whooeeee what a jackpot! Congratulations to Sue.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

(Sorry that took so long! My message kept getting rejected because I had the same subject line. Had to change it every time! arrrgghhhh!)

Congrats to the winner. On this one I have to admit I'm quite jealous! But I'm sincerely happy for you and can hardly wait to see what you do with these blocks!

Woo hoo for YOU!

Kate

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you ladies for helping with the drawing a winner process!

• jck1210
    13 years ago

Congratulations!!!!! I cant wait to see all the blocks laid out!!!

Kat

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Congratulations Sue!! You are the envy of most everyone on the QF!:) Enjoy!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cziga your lovely blocks arrived yesterday! Polardream, they'll be on their way shortly!

What an incredible month!

• cziga
    13 years ago

Ah, I'm glad they got there at least close to the deadline :)

Congratulations Polardream/Sue ... that is going to be one beautiful quilt!!! I'd love to see the photo of all those blocks all together :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are the pictures of the finished blocks!

Just beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished quilt, not to put any pressure on the winner, of course!

Here is a link that might be useful: July 2010 Buckeye Beauty Blocks

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Ugh!!! When you laid them out, I see that I have one curner flipped!!! (how embarrassing....) And I did it twice! I'm sorry Sue, I hope it's not much trouble to flip that one corner.

Congratulations!!!! Please show us how you put it together. So many options.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

And then I can't spell. curner? You can tell I've been away for a few days. It feels like a Monday.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Does Sue know yet that she won? I dont' think I've seen her post about it.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I think she'll get a pretty good clue when a box full of lovelies shows up on her doorstep in a couple of days!

Lucky lady!

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

They are very lovely indeed! This is a great block. She will be thrilled.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

She's been on the road travelling so she'll be excited when she logs in.

• polardream
    13 years ago

OH MY GOSH! I am so thrilled! I didn't know I had won - we just returned about 3 hours ago (after 5 weeks) of travel and found a box full of BEAUTIFUL quilt squares in my mail. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I am going to be so excited playing with all these squares and deciding how to arrange them. Everyone did a beautiful job.
    Sue/polardream