Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

My bella bella quilt...

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

Status hasn't changed on this; It's still awaiting a quilter/quilting.

But last night, Sharon was up late and sent me a link to a site that hosts a weekly contest. You can post a quilt (even an unfinished one!) that fits that week's criteria. Others can vote for their favorite, and then a winner is chosen based on votes.

This isn't something I generally do, but this week's theme was paper pieced quilt! Sharon thought it was right up my alley, so I submitted my bella bella quilt. Voting starts tomorrow and runs through the weekend.

I'm listed as 'Busybees2' on there with my quilt... if you'd care to look around ;) Look for the Quilting Show & Tell section... I'm not sure where the contest quilts will show up, but tomorrow I'll try to help point you in the right direction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilting Show & Tell

Comments (36)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Well, I've seen it in person and I'd vote on it in a minute!

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

I don't think we can view the quilts that have been entered for the week until voting is opened up. I will take a look and vote tomorrow.

Good luck Jennifer!

Maryv

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

There is no more impressive quilt than Bella Bella! I'll be happy to vote for you!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

It appears we can't vote till friday...agree w/ K8, you'll have my vote for a bella bella...wow! can't wait to see it!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Just tried but voting not open yet. Should be soon?

Jen, did you use one of the patterns from the book? Any tips, tricks, recommendations or 'lessons learned' from making Bella Bella? I really want to try one of these but I'm intimidated by it!

Kate

This post was edited by k8orlando on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 9:14

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Just check the site...but either I'm not seeing where to vote is or it's not open yet?
    Any directions?

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I can't figure it out either!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think the quilts are posted yet for voting. But if you go to this link, and scroll down to June 24, you should be able to click on the theme name, and then see the quilts. Hopefully.

Kate,
    I did follow a pattern in the book. These quilts look so much more intimidating than they really are! Truly! If you understand paper piecing then the wedges are not hard to make... takes some organization. One thing she told us was to use paper plates for each individually cut section (there are lefts and rights), then you can move the plates around to keep things in order.

Other than that, the most challenging was sewing on the curved sashing. But there are instructions are there for that!

I encourage everyone to give this a try. It really looks worse than it is! I would say this is good for an intermediate quilter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weekly schedule for quilts

This post was edited by jennifer_in_va on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 13:12

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

I believe voting opens at midnight. They don't show the quilts until entries are closed and voting begins.
    Can't wait to see Bella Bella!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was able to briefly see the quilts, and saw the ballot. You can vote for 4 different quilts.

I have to try the link again, because my browser wouldn't reload the page, but I'm heading back there now.

There are a bunch of lovely quilts!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm currently tied for first place....but then the voting has just begun.

correction, I'm in first by 1 vote (thanks, DH!)

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

By 2 votes now. :) (you're very welcome)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Voted....
    Jen, Your bella bella is stunning! Love the colors, you definitely got my vote!
    V.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Jen, I love your bella quilt, too. I have that book - one of these days I'll get around to making one of them. :)

Donna

• day2day
    10 years ago

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't see the quilts or where to vote.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I finally found where to vote ~ they don't make it easy!
    Good Luck Jen!
    Someone post the link or how to get to the page to vote - I can't seem to get back to it -- and I found it by accident.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Go to this link, and click 'continue reading'
    Scroll down about halfway and you'll see the quilts pictured and below that you should see check boxes next to each quilt name.

Hope that helps

Here is a link that might be useful: hope this helps

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the improved link, and yes I voted. You are quite a bit ahead of the second place quilt!

That site is a pain in you-know-what to navigate. Not a place I will choose to visit.

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

I agree with Mary. The website is ridiculously hard to move around in. I won't visit it either.

Jennifer-you have 83 votes! Wow! Gorgeous quilt.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

And one more vote
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Just added my vote for your quilt. Good Luck!
    Linda OH

• day2day
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link.
    Just voted for you.
    It's a beautiful quilt.
    I hope you win.

~Geraldine

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Bumping.....Bella Bella is in first place by only 2 votes
    Get everyone you know to vote for Jennifer's beautiful quilt!

Maryv

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Voted. Looking good! Hope you win.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I certainly don't want to encourage anyone to cheat by voting more than once, but if you have friends or family members with smart phones, they can vote using the smart phone and you can vote using your desktop computer.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I agree that it isn't an easy site to get to where you want to be, but have found it easier the more I go back. I like to see what quilts have been entered and vote, especially if I know someone who has entered. Hopefully, some of you will think about entering.

Good luck, Jennifer!

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Just voted. Bella Bella is ahead by 11 votes. Good luck, Jennifer. It's a fantastic quilt!

• lola99
    10 years ago

Just got my vote in. There is still time if you have not voted yet!

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Darn, I was out of town all weekend and didn't see that I needed to vote :-( I hope you won!

Robbi

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robbi, there's still time to vote, all the way up til 11pm tonight. But I don't think it's going to help at this point. I'm in 2nd place by 70+ votes...presumably due to the other person's facebook/twitter connections (I don't post this stuff on those sites)

But it was fun watching the race over the weekend...I was in the lead for quite awhile!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

It's still the winner in my book!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Just back on line today...for the moment...bad service! Can't reach a place that shows me your quilt. Did they remove it after the voting?
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think you can see any quilt except the winner after voting ends.

But here is what I entered...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

The winning quilt was the Harry Potter bookcase. In my opinion, it doesn't look all that impressive as most of it could have been done by regular piecing. I did look up the pattern and site that was mentioned, and there were PP pattern blocks for it. However, apparently the guest judge wasn't impressed either as she awarded her 100 points as follows: 35 points ��" Bella Bella ��" 35 + 155 = 190 points
    35 points ��" Explorations ��" 35 + 63 = 98 points
    30 points ��" Feathered Peacock Star ��" 20 + 96 = 116 points

So, Jennifer ended up with 190 points. I think true quilters recognize expertise when they see it! I've seen people give the link to this site to vote and I have always voted for what I liked, whether it was theirs or not. And, I rarely vote for more than one if I really think that person deserves the win. When the points are as lopsided as this weeks ended up being, everyone knows how it happened.

LindaB, All the quilts are still showing. Scroll down the page and click on the quilt to make them larger.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: PP

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sadly, I just can't compete with social media... nor do I really want to.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

You don't need to, Jennifer. We know you're the real winner and other quilters will take note. Thanks for entering!

SharonG/FL