Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

June, 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

My mind seems to be in a fog.......I think I have a lot to get done within the next 3 weeks, but can't for the life of me, get a grip on it! Actually, 3 weeks from today I better be all packed up and ready to go! DH is doing well with his knee but still cannot kneel on it. At least 12 members of the Northern family plan to be here for the wedding on June 21st.....some staying here and some at Holly's. I have one more quilt I want to finish up before then and a couple tops to take and finish up north....maybe. My June goal is mainly to get through the month and still be coherent. :-)

1. Sandwich and quilt the Wonky Pinwheel
2. Sew R/W/B squares together for a top

Anyone else have something to do this month?

T'is the season.....kids out of school, vacations, gardens, flowers, beach, window washing.....oops, let's not go there.

SharonG/FL

Comments (17)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I haven't felt like sewing this weekend, so I didn't finish the contrary wife quilt. It's quilted, just needs binding.

My Sundays this month are booked up with church things. Hopefully I can get a couple of things accomplished this month:

Finish the contrary wife quilt
    Make a valance for a friend
    Maybe one or two miniatures for the guild

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I doubt I will get any quilting done this month.
    It will be our 60th anniversary at the end of June and our children, all of whom live out of town, are arranging for an Open House here at home.
    So my mission this month is to clean, clean, clean. I have a painter coming in to freshen up the main floor but there is still lots of piddly jobs to do. Plus, I want to get some baking done.
    Maybe I will sneak in some time at the machine, just to de-stress.
    Theresa

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Well,I now have four quilt tops that need to be quilted and bound. So, I'd better get learning on my Tiara. That will be my goal for the month... practice, practice. I'm also going to Madison, WI, to visit my sis and choose fabric for a quilt I will be making for my nephew and his wife. I'll be working on my nieces wedding quilt. I also need to make the lotto blocks that are due this month. That's probably plenty.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I have a short list for June.

1) get Sharon's quilt in the frame and start quilting
    2) make more blocks for the forest service quilt

beverly

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

We just enjoyed our 15th wedding anniversary last month. I know hubby wants to go RVing some more this month. So I will keep my list simple:

1. Finish hand-quilting rows 4, 5, & 6 on my parents' Card Tricks Quilt
    2. Hand-piece some more blocks for my cousin's baby quilt
    3. Finish knitting my sister's red scarf
    4. Start cross-stitching a bookmark for a friend's upcoming b-day
    5. work on quilts for me to keep: Granny Square queensize Quilt, Kaleidoscope Quilt, and Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Quilt.
    6. And work on machine sewing some Crazy Quilt blocks and study some embroidery stitches that I want to embellish the blocks with.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 16:37

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have the two things done that I have listed. Am now making Split Nine Patches.

I resist change but have changed the way I do HST's simply because I can save 1/2 inch of fabric when making the strip. It was Valarie's post on the Tricks for working with HSTs thread Lois started that finally had me checking it out. And, it really does come out perfect every time (if there is no operator error). I also think this will work for making the star points which will in turn save fabric. But, I need to try that idea to make sure. Although, there will still be the background corner that will need to be trimmed off, this might be my next top. Looks like I better start laying in a supply of white fabric. :-)
    SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Tricks for working with HSTs

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Sharon I like the quilt pic and how the blocks are laid out, TFS!

So far this month I have gotten rows 4 & 5 hand-quilted on my parents' quilt, and I have completed my sister's Rosario Red Multi yarn with ribbon scarf.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• day2day
    9 years ago

Sharon...love your quilt! The stars sparkle against the white.
    No sewing so far this month...machine in the shop.
    Need to get caught up on my BOMs and a small baby quilt.
    I cut out all the pieces for the baby quilt blocks so that it will be ready when the machine returns home....hopefully that will be on Monday.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Sharon! I like using the Easy Angle ruler for HSTs, too.

Sadly, I haven't made progress on anything on my list. I'm really busy at work, so in the evenings I just want to relax and veg out. I've been participating in 3 worship services each Sunday, so when I get home Sundays I just want to veg out, too. I guess both of those factors are keeping me from wanting to get started on anything in the sewing room on Saturdays.

I have the first week of July off - hopefully by then I'll be ready to jump into sewing things!

Donna

• calliope
    9 years ago

I really only have a few hours work on the puff quilt to finish knotting it, but with temps forecast to low nineties and rain possible every day for a week, I need to be in the garden to tweek it so weed free it won't run away with itself if I can't hoe for a week. I still have my New Year's mystery quilt top next in the cue, with batting and backing at hand. I may set the puff quilt as the goal for June.

• redmary
    9 years ago

Easy angle is the only way to go! Sharon, your quilt to is really nice--- the stars really pop against the white. June goal was to finish a memory quilt & complete the July lotto. One down, one to go &. One weekend at the beach! Summer is here yea!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My plan is to get the white squares cut and the bright triangles and take them with me. I have a jelly roll of brights so I can use some of those. Then, I'll have to keep a look out for some bright fat quarter TOT's for the middle of the star.

If any of you ever want a lap size or small quilt top for a charity, give me a shout and maybe we can work something out. Will probably need to wait until I get back though.....sorry.

WooooHoooooo....great-granddaughter Jaycie and her mom will be here tonight and the fun begins!

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Hope you have a wonderful wedding! And a visit with family
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Sharon... I really like your star pattern...the colors against the white are perfect. I'm glad the easy angle works for you...I can't figure out any other way to make those HST.

Theresa...Congratulations on 60 years! Awesome....you had to be a child bride!!!

Donna....I get wanting to veg during the week...but I do go to my sewing room just about every day...if only to fold some wayward fabric in the stash!

Sandra....your June goals ....now that's a long list!

My goal this month are/were a bust. I started and finished a quilt top for my niece. She picked out the fabric and I started sewing from there...it's just so darn UGLY I can't give it to her with a straight face. Luckily, there is enough fabric remaining to make another lap size quilt (coupled with some fabric from the stash), so my 4th of July weekend will be sewing another top. Learned my lesson...going with a tried and true pattern that I know will work!

Happy sewing everyone!
    V.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Woohoo, I finished my goals and it's still June! LOL

Finish the contrary wife quilt - finished today!

Make a valance for a friend - made last Saturday

Maybe one or two miniatures for the guild - finished one today.

I am on vacation this week...I have some non-sewing projects that need to be done, but am hoping to get several more days of sewing in. Not sure what the next project will be yet!

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Donna, you are making me feel very unproductive. I'm afraid I didn't do very well on my June goals. I did get one top quilted and bound, and the second one should be quilted by tonight. Maybe I can even get the binding on. I got only the June lotto block finished, not the special birdhouse lotto. I bought fabric for my nephew's quilt, but didn't work much on my niece's wedding quilt. I think I'll just carry these goals into July.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You girls did awesome this month! I didn't even realize July is tomorrow! Pretty sneaky!!!

I'm in Indiana and they cannot find my sewing machine! I had all my tools and thread, etc in the box. Julie brought me her machine but now I need to get a few tools, wide fab and batting for the quilt top I brought to finish for my SIL.

SharonG/FL