Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

If your Walmart has a fabric department

TxMarti
12 years ago

Check to see when they are having their fabric sale. I was in the local store today, browsing the fabric, and the lady who works there told me that they are having their big fabric sale next week, Thursday through Saturday.

The last time I went to one of those it was NOT their better fabric. It was more like the stuff on the $2 a yard table, but lots of it. I can't remember what it was priced last year to know if it was a bargain or just the usual $2.

Comments (11)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I didn't know Walmart had fabric sales except on Holiday fabric. Guess I'll ask the next time I'm there. Thanks for the info. Doesn't hurt to look and see if it's some of their better fabric.

SharonG/FL-IN

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went to Wally again today & asked the lady if it was just going to be the $2 fabric and she said mostly, but there will also be some of the good fabrics.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

My Wally is too far of a drive to check it out!!! I did find out something interesting the last time I was there. I usually look in the bin where they have the small left over fabric (usually less than 1/2 yd) at a reduced price. I had already looked at the bolts and a small piece was in the reduced bin for 20% off. I recognized it from a bolt I had looked at. I went back to check the bolt price and they had marked up the price on the remnant before reducing it, so it was the exact same price. There was no one around to ask about it to see if it was a mistake. I get really annoyed at some of the stores attempts at deception.
    Rosa

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

At our Walmart, the remnants are never cheaper than the bolt price per yard. Seems like it should be. Why buy a remnant if it's the same price?

• lisamay
    12 years ago

Be thankful if you have a fabric department "YET" at your Walmart store. Fabric departments are going to be phased out to make room for who knows what. They got rid of the departments here in Green Bay to rearrange and make room for the smaller craft department, groceries, and the bigger electronic department... IMHO
    Despite complaints from the community.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought I'd update & let all of you who don't have a Walmart with fabric department know that you didn't miss a thing. It was a big disappointment as there were NO quality fabrics, just the typical bolts from the $2 rack. A few of those were priced at $1.50. I bought a few yards so I can practice on some clothing patterns. Luckily I prewash because they ALL bled, some of them really bad. I'm soaking some in vinegar & water as that's all I have. Probably worth it for what I am doing, at $1.50 a yard it's cheaper than muslin for trying out patterns, but sheesh! Another incident on the same trip has made me swear off buying at Walmart again too.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

We lost our Walmart fabric dept a couple years ago when they first started phasing them out. It had been a while since I shopped there much but in the beginning of my quilting life I did buy fabrics and thread there because it was so much cheaper. I still have some of those earlier quilts and the fabric held up OK.

• patti60
    12 years ago

we have a nice fabric dept. they always have the $2 fabric. i do buy there even if the price per yd has gone up. but if your careful in what you get they do have some nice stuff. best when i need back fabric. just did a shop hop and fabric was $9 and up a yd not always in my budget. sorry for those who have or will lose there fabric dept. if ours goes have no need for wally world.

• equilter
    12 years ago

Hi, All,
    I was told the other day in my WalMart fabric dept. that they were remaining in place and those that lost their depts were having them put back in. Supposedly, this was due to the public e-mail, letter writing campaign. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Eileen

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

There was an article in the business section of the newspaper recently that Walmart is re-thinking some of its latest decisions on cutting out some of the merchandise. They are beginning to realize that customers are unhappy and shopping elsewhere. It mentioned that some of the dropped items might be returning to get shoppers back, so maybe the fabric will return. I know that a lot of it is cheap quality, but I've also bought fabric there that was just as good as Joann's, and many of us just can't afford the high-quality stuff that the LQS carries.

• anitastitch
    12 years ago

My Walmart no longer has fabric, but I hope it's one of the ones that decides to bring it back. It was by no means the best fabric, but it's a great option when having to buy fabric for making teaching samples.