Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

My Harbor Freight Blade Evaluation

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

In a few words - you get what you pay for! I should know better, as I believe in buying the best tools you can afford, and I can afford more than $1.49 for 2 blades.

I was trying to steal some time to work on a quilt- blades in both sizes of rotary cutters were skipping - needing to be changed, as did the needle - if only I could get thru about 30 mins! Nope - changed the needle....okay ....quick change on the blade - try the Harbor Freight blade- couldn't get the package open,then the blade was gunked with what appeared to be construction glue - cleaned that with alcohol, as best I could (what am I thinking???)- blade skips and doesn't roll straight. Reclean, still bad - put in another HF blade - still skips, and cuts jaggered on one layer - I clean an area of the mat to make sure it isn't all the cutting slivers & debris - still skips, and I have to press really hard - Stop-put in an Olfa blade...ahhh

like cutting thru butter. This took all my time - big sigh.

The blades are junk for cutting fabric - in my opinion - I know people love them....But if you like sharp, clean, precise cuts....save your money and buy the name brands.

Anyone want my other packs of blades to try?? An old dull Olfa is better than a new, sharp HF-they are meant for cutting carpet. Maybe someone else will like them :-)

Comments (9)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Wow, how frustrating! I wait too long to change blades and needles, too. Then when I do I wonder why I waited! And you're right...it's not that big an expense, especially compared to fabric and patterns.

I'm glad you had an Olfa on hand and didn't have to make a special trip!

Donna

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

No, thank you very much! LOL..I learned that lesson a long time ago. Not with HF blades, but just in general.

Using the correct tool for the job won't guarantee success, but it certainly helps.

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Donna, I SO hear you! :) I wait to change blades thinking "I'll just cut a little longer, or finish this project - then change" I figure I'm saving a little $$ that way. But when I do finally put in a new blade, I wonder why I didnt do it sooner! Cuts like a dream! What was I waiting for?? I'm worth a new blade! I'll save $$ somewhere else - LOL - just NOT in my quilting room!

~Cindy

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Remember quilters!!!

Blades are meant to be consumable, disposable. Cutting mats are meant to last for years. Keep cutting with dull blades and you will shorten the life of the mat - would you rather replace that?

Dull blades are also more dangerous. If you have to use more pressure to make the cut, you have to use more pressure to hold the ruler down. Then you are in danger of having the blade slip or jump the ruler.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Don't bad mouth my Harbor Freight Tools. I spend most of my allowance there - but not on anything for quilting including the blades. LOL Thank you HFT for my new compressor and finish nailer!! Now, I'm off to the quilt shop tomorrow to spend the rest of my allowance.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

DH and I both own many Harbor Freight Tools, and I certainly wasn't badmouthing them.

But as far as I know the blades they sell are not for use on a rotary cutting mat.

• magothyrivergirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spent almost $100.00 at HF - fortunately not on blades-lol- it is a place where you have to be careful and a wise consumer. It is located in a scary neighborhood, so I won't be going often, but they had some interesting things. The pack of asst bent handle tweezers I bought for thread,etc were the same price as I paid for 1, and they work just fine.

I've heard rave reviews on the blades, so thought I would try them. I would have been surprised if I loved them!
    I couldn't even use them for any cuts. Cheap lesson learned.

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

I bought a package of HF blades too but haven't opened them yet. I do love my finger light though. They sell them in the quilt shops for $6 and I bought mine at HF for 2.69. The other thing I love is my mechanics bowl for my pins. It is what mechanics use to hold the nuts and bolts when working on engines. It is magnetic but much better than the magnetgic pin holders made for sewers.

The blades may be put into my scrapbooking box and used for paper!

Mary

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Good information! I haven't bought HF blades yet but was planning to get some. Now I think I'll pass on that purchase.

Kate