Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charming whirligig quilt

Posted by new2quilting (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 15:06

I made this baby-sized whirligig quilt with the Charmed whirligig tutorial. I used seven 1/8th yard pieces of "Rhythm & Blues" fabric I'd bought and was in need of a project! The blocks went together fast and I ended up squaring up the block some.

Excuse the lumpy towels under the quilt. The quilt has been washed, the floor have not!

Charmed whirligig

Here is a link that might be useful: Charming Whirligig Tutorial

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charming whirligig quilt

Cute, cute, cute! What a cheery quilt for a little one - you did a nice job!
Sue

o

Your quilt is adorable! Thanks for the tutorial. Nice to know you can use 1/8 yard pieces to make this.

o

Love the colors. I really like this quilt.

o

Gosh, what a great job, this quilt is SO MUCH FUN! I'm sure helped by the fact that I love turquoise. Just terrific, makes me want to try to make this one too!!

o

Thanks everyone! I just loved that fabric line the first time I saw it and knew I had to do something with it. This is the perfect one. And the blocks went together really fast. I've seen so many pretty turquoise & red fabrics that I'd like to try that at sometime as well.

o

How did you quilt it?
I have mine sitting here and the more I stare at it, the harder it is to decide what to do with it.
Love the colours too!

o

Great quilt. I love the colors. You did a good job.
I'm also interested in how you quilted it. Did you quilt around each whirligig? Is there a tutorial for this pattern somewhere on the web?

~Geraldine

o

I really like this pattern and like the colors you used, too.

I realize if using a charm pack you need to trim 1/2" off, but when I made mine I didn't have charms so when cutting strips of fabric, I cut 5" strips and then subcut 4 1/2" saving 1/2" of fabric per strip.

SharonG/FL-IN (just back from Ohio)

o

I quilted down one side of the whirligig "row" (zigging down and over, if that makes sense) and then up the other, so it was a continuous line and I didn't have to move the quilt around (or freemotion). I did a zigzag in the border. I saw one that had been quilted with diagonal lines all in one direction to look like "movement" and thought that was neat.

I did the same, Sharon, and cut 5" x 4.5" with the colors, just as the tutorial says for the white.

Geraldine, I linked the pattern up there.

o

I love it!! It has a way of "moving" when I scroll the picture up and down on my screen, too.

Robbi

o

Beautiful quilt great job. Love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here