Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Minky Baby Quilt & Patchwork Puppy

solstice98
13 years ago

Here's a simple baby quilt I made recently using one of those 1/2 jelly rolls (20 strips, not 40), plus 3 or 4 fqs. It's not a complicated design but I really like the way it turned out. I used Minky on the back of the quilt and had enough fabric left over for a patchwork puppy.

I loved working with these colors!

Kate

Comments (14)

• gerizone5
    13 years ago

That is so cute and I love the colors. Is the minky had to work with and did you use batting as well?

Geri

• solstice98
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Minky always feels like it's going to be a challenge but it isn't at all. I use a thin batting - on this I used bamboo, but on others I've used an old flannel sheet. I wouldn't try free motion quilting on it, but with a walking foot it doesn't stretch at all.

This is my third Minky backed quilt and I am beginning to suspect I'm addicted to it. No, really, I can stop any time I want!

• gerizone5
    13 years ago

I really want to try Minky some day.

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

That is adoreable. I love Minky but haven't tried it yets. Have used fleece which is soft but not as nice as Minky. Is this a gift? Love the added puppy. TFS Jayne

• day2day
    13 years ago

I like those colors...I've always been a fan of the blue/green combo. And the little doggy is adorable.
    Thanks for sharing.

~Geraldine

• solstice98
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it's a gift. A good friend of my husband's just had his first baby. I'm not real close to the family so I admit I hadn't keep track of the due date. Two weeks ago DH said "Were you going to make a baby quilt for J's little one? It's due next week." Yikes! Of course, it doesn't take long to make a baby quilt and this simple pattern went together quickly. We'll be visiting one evening this week to see the baby and deliver the quilt.

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

I want minky pajamas.

Rebecca

• solstice98
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rebecca, I made a minky nightshirt and I love it! I took my favorite, comfy nightshirt and just laid it out on the minky to cut out the pattern. It's got cap sleeves and I would recommend you not make something with much of a sleeve - stick to sleeveless or cap sleeves - because the fabric is warm. Probably not the right thing for the hot flash crowd! LOL But very cozy, soft and snuggly.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Cute quilt, Kate. (try saying that 5 times) Really like the colors.

SharonG/FL

• itsmesuzq
    13 years ago

What a darling quilt. And I love the colors as well. You have inspired me to try a minky quilt; I've wanted to do one but I've heard its really hard to work with. Thanks so much for sharing.

Susan

• solstice98
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just use a walking foot and you shouldn't have any problems with it, at least not on a smallish quilt. The other one I made was 4'x6' and even that worked without bunching or stretching. I thought I was making that one for me, but it turns out I was making it for the cats. I can't keep them off of it. Cats and babies like minky as much as I do.

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Really cute and I love the idea of the matching puppy!!! I love th4 look and feel of minky but I haven't tried it yet.
    Rosa

• fran1523
    13 years ago

That is adorable.

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I love those colors!! What a cute quilt! My dd would be all over that puppy, too. What a luck baby!!