Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? June 13-15

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

I won't be near my machine this weekend. We are house hunting and are going to see a house for the 2nd time today. It has a bonus room that would be perfect for my quilting frame and machines. The only negative is the small backyard.
The house is 3 years old and much more open than our present home. Just not sure if it is what we want.
Lots of decisions to make!
Linda OH

Comments (21)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Linda, don't rush into a decision!

Probably no sewing for me (again). Tonight we're having dinner w/ DH's sister & BIL, tomorrow we're going to visit parents, and Sunday I am singing at 3 worship services. So Sunday afternoon will be laundry in between naps.

Maybe next weekend, though I am playing clarinet in 3 worship services that Sunday.

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Linda, good luck with your house search.

Although I have basically all of my planting left to do, I don't know if it will happen, because it's supposed to rain most of the weekend. On the bright note, if it's raining, then I get to set up and practice on my Tiara. I brought her home Tuesday evening, but I have had commitments Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings this week. She's still in her box. That will be my "quilting" for this weekend. Maybe I can even start quilting a small child's quilt. I have it sandwiched and pinned, but I bought some 505 spray and some Elmer's School Glue, so I'm going to unpin it and use one of the adhesives. I'm so anxious to get going.

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I hope to get some sewing done. I have a gazillion HSTs to get together for 2 quilts. I also have a quilt about half quilted on the frame. I also have 170 string blocks to remove paper from. AND my husband and I are building a screened patio. We have to get the rest of the posts up so that we can have concrete poured next week. Hopefully it will quit raining long enough to get it done.

This post was edited by jackier123 on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 16:04

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I might get a little done. I started a red and light tan (unbleached muslin) Bear's Paw. I have most of the pieces cut, but boy-Howdie, do I ever have a butt-load of HST's to sew now. I've been studying and studying trying to figure out a way to production-line piece, but with some of them going one direction and some the other, my dysfunctional brain doesn't want to concentrate on the process. I know I'll chain-sew all the HST's first and slice them diagonally, but after that I'm stuck. I did one test block and it came out right, but it took a lot of careful thought and twisting and turning of each element of the block and double-checking the direction to do it correctly. UGH!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Linda OH, Isn't there a Connecting Threads Distribution Center in your new town? I've known of quilters getting tons of fabric odds and ends with some good sized yardages all for free from them because of using it for charity. Check it out!

I'm almost finished making split 9-patches and I hope I have enough time to sew them together into a top before all the hoopla begins. DGD, Danielle, is getting married next Saturday afternoon and the up north family start coming in Wednesday night, another group on Thursday, a few more on Friday and a lone soul Saturday morning. I cannot wait to see all of them. I have a few quilt tops I want to take up north and finish there so I might try and get them sandwiched before leaving. Good thing there's a van to haul it all to Indiana with me. lol

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I did not get much hand-quilting done on my parents' quilt today. My husband's very large family was visiting today, and I am quite exhausted, and the great-niece and many great-nephews are now getting their 2nd wind, toys are chaos throughout the house ......... and they will all be back tomorrow....... so not sure how much quilting I will get done this weekend.

Good luck with your house hunting Linda.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 12:07

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I don't think I'll get any sewing done. We're going to travel a couple hours tomorrow to Archer Florida to meet a collie in need of a new home! I'm very excited! I'm also wondering how our king size bed is going to accommodate another large dog. It's barely big enough for DH Jim, me and big collie Scout and a couple cats. One more dog could push us over the edge. My brother will be here tomorrow night with his dog too so it will be a houseful.

Good luck Linda on the househunting!

Kate

• polardream
    9 years ago

we are nearing the end of our Europe trip so still now sewing here. This afternoon we attended the wedding of our first exchange student here in Hamburg, Germany. We have a short break before we change into our "formal" clothes for the dinner reception and dance. Tomorrow back to Frankfurt and fly home on Monday. I have been missing my machine!

• bev2009
    9 years ago

My garden walk is two weeks from today. (I'm not on it, just the co-chair.) So I am busy with all the details for that. So far ,,, so good. But I feel like I am holding my breath...which I actually have caught myself doing. I'm going to take a break and go play in the garden now.

Linda, a smaller backyard might not be a bad thing.

Sharon, don't forget me when you come north. I would love to get together.

Sue, my daughter plays Whisk with a group of more elderly people who quilt. (DD is only 32.) My daughter told them I converse with you online, and they were disappointed they didn't know you from the quilting community they hang out with.

Sandra, with no grandchildren of my own, I love to get to spend time with my great nieces and nephews. It just doesn't happen enough since we moved 40 miles a few years ago.

Ritaweeda, I love the different sayings people use. I've never heard boy-Howdie before.LOL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Bev2009, My daughter plans to take me to West Chicago to stay with my sister sometime around July 14th....I'm not real sure of the date yet, so maybe we'll be driving close by on the way there or when coming back a week later if that works for you. At least we have a time frame.....sort of. lol

SharonG/FL

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Bev, believe me, better the old hokey sayings here than what I normally color my sentences with!

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

We had a good visit with hubby's family, but am now glad after 3 days of a very full house of people that everyone has gone home. It's gonna' take us several days to get all these toys picked up, but it's not gonna' be today cause I am gonna' quilt and do my hobby stuff and since it's Father's Day let hubby have the remote all day. And my son, after 2 days of a toy destroying & biting toddler being in his room, said that he is happy he is an only child - LOL. :-) Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Kate, have fun with the new adoption...

Sharon, you're going to be gone for a really long time, right? I don't think we're ever going to get this FL bunch together for meetup/lunch! I do hope you have a fun and safe trip though...

I've been working on my puff quilt today... I've made 101 puff squares over the last few weeks, so I worked on sewing them into rows... I sewed for 15 minutes and picked up the mass of chain pieced rows to see how it was looking... half of my work fluttered to the floor and I realized that I was out of bobbin thread... story of my life! I wish someone would invent an add on bobbin sensor for vintage machines! I know they usually sound different or feel different when they run out, but mine didn't this time...

We've been getting serious weather here in FL all week... It's storming badly here now, so no sewing... if I use the vintage metal machine, I might get zapped... If I use the computerized ones, they might... I don't want either of those things to happen...

The walking foot I ordered from Ebay for the Bernina still hasn't come... the seller ignored my requests for a tracking number and didn't respond until I left negative feedback... that got her attention pretty quickly and she called with some excuses and said I should have it by tomorrow... From now on I'll pay twice the price and just get stuff from the dealer... it hasn't been worth the time, energy, and disappointment just to save 100 dollars... Every day that it was supposed to arrive and I walked down to an empty mail box... ugh! Lesson learned!

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend...

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Yes, it's stormy here tonight! Just got back inside from walking the dogs and we kept one eye on the dark clouds the whole time. Looks like it's going to hit again any minute.

I've had a full weekend but managed to find some time to sew tonight. Began working on the signature quilt I agreed to make for a friend's wedding. I have 90 days to get it done so thought I better get started! It should go pretty quick because it's a simple pattern.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Bobby, I plan to only be gone a couple of months. I've stayed 3 months before, but that's just too long right now.

I did get all the 9-patches made but have put them all away and won't be sewing them together. I'm a bit confused on how I want the layout to be, so will just wait. I'm thinking we're going to have to bribe Jaycie with making her a superhero cape so she'll be a willing Flower Girl. No being a princess for her! If I can find some Wonder Woman fabric for the backing, you think this would work? It's only about 32" square.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Sharon that's a cool quilt top and love the scrappy center star!

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thank you, Sandra. I had fun making it. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now.....guess I could make it into a wall hanging. Or maybe a really small baby quilt. I decided not to use it for the super hero cape. It was easier to buy a Batman hooded wrap towel. lol

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

My 16 year old GS thinks it would be "cool" to have a Batman quilt.
    We'll see.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Sharon I think it would be lovely as a baby quilt. Well my son wants a Lego MineCraft quilt with "Steve being chased by a Creeper with trees and scenery in the background" so it's going on the future quilting to do list.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Here ya go, Theresa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Batman on Pinterest

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Thank you Sharon, now I may have to get serious about it! LOL!
    Theresa

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia