Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

a whine about charity quilts lol!!!!!

rosajoe_gw
10 years ago

For the last 6 months I have been helping with a project to make charity quilts in our area.

The sweet lady leading the project had gotten her feelings hurt when a rude, thoughtless person said (in front of us) that some of the quilts were prettier than others, and some better made, and asked if certain places or people were being chosen to get the prettier quilts.

As a result she bought all of the same fabrics ( as much as she could) and we made the quilts in the same, simple,fast pattern. It did increase production with the simple patterns.

I feel all of my creativity has been completely zapped from me! I never want to see 4 patches again in my life lol!!!!

I am finishing the last of the quilts and it is a CHORE!!!!! I know the quilts are really appreciated by the recipients, and what is 'pretty' or not is so subjective.

Soooooo, I'm taking a break from charity quilts to get my 'quilting mojo' back, I miss it lol!!!!!!
Rosa

Comments (15)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

How unfortunate that a gift-giving project had to become less charitable by one person's perspective of 'pretty'. Variety is good, and most recipients would are simply happy to receive and would never question quality or color choices.

One bad apple... they say. How sad.

Go make something 'pretty' and find your mojo. You've still got it in you!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Yes, do something that makes you feel good about quilting! I had to step away from it for a while and missed it terribly. Now that I'm back to sewing - and feeling good about what I'm making - i am happier and feel less stress in all areas of my life.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

What a bummer! Glad you're putting it on the back burner for a while. Everyone's pretty is not the same and if all the recipients in one place got look alike quilts they'd probably not like that either.
    LindaB/CA

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

You can still make creative charity quilts and just find another need for them. Think red, white, and blue and your nearest Quilts of Valor people would love you. You can go as creative as you want and they would cherish them.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Our guild gets some really nice charity quilts - but thankfully, I've never heard a discouraging word about any of them. I think we appreciate all of them......(even the ones from one member who smokes non-stop - maybe they wash hers?).

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

This just solidifies my belief that you shouldn't listen to mean people. it just encourages them to keep being mean. The woman who complained that some of the quilts were prettier than others? That sweet lady who runs your program should have thanked her for offering her opinion, then promptly ignored her. I don't listen to mean people, I don't vote for mean people, and I don't let mean people hurt my feelings. (Imagine me at this point with my hands on my hips, sticking out my tongue and stamping my foot!)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Oh Rosa ~ some people are just RUDE no matter what the circumstances! I'm curious, did this rude person have anything to do with this project?
    I'm glad to have you back - I've missed your creative and inspirational posts. Jump back in and pick your own fabric and pick your own design and recharge yourself!

I agree with Linda, there are many charitable organizations that you could send quilts to - especially since the most recent Tornado devastation. I understand the desire to be part of a group project, but don't let this one person keep you from being generous - you can still donate to very worthy causes without having to put up with the politics.

• calliope
    10 years ago

There are people like that in EVERY group. They forget that the mountain of work done is a gift from people who have absolutely no obligation to do it, but do it from the goodness of their hearts. They also forget that some are more talented than others, or have more resources but that doesn't diminish the intent of the act. I ran a wholesale greenhouse operation and have had over twenty five years a handful of similar customers whom I finally (since I owned the business) invited to take their business somewhere else. The term for people like that are ingrates.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I love your response korlando. And I also agree with the others we suggested another charity. There are so many who need.
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Aw Rosa, I'm sure you are a blessing to your group and support leader of the project. More than one person would have had to complain to have it mean anything. This rude person could also have been asked which ones, or how many she had made. Or maybe she was asking in a round about way if she could 'kit' fabric with patterns for the group......yeah, right! Don't let anyone spoil your enjoyment of giving.

I like what TG/Linda puts on the Lotto.....any complainers can have the job next time.

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    10 years ago

There's no way I could come up with a polite response to that situation. I'd have walked away uttering four letter words under my breath. Make something creative, wonderful and gorgeous just for you.

• lola99
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I have had one similar event where I ended up sewing exactly the pattern that someone else picked out in fabric that someone else picked out and I felt like I was on an assembly line - no creativity from me at all. It wasn't fun.

I think the point of makeing a quilt is the process, the creativity, and the love that you pour into making something special. It is not to have a blanket that looks like other blankets. If that was the point, then the organization would be better off buying pre-made quilts. Assembly line quilts can be purchased from WalMart for $20-$25. That is a lot less than the cost of the materials for a hand-made, one-of-a-kind quilt.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Well stated Lola, exactly.

As to the Boar who said this, RoseJ, pls. don't let one petty person sour the good deed aspect of this for you, & often the ripple effect it can have.

• lilypad22
    10 years ago

I recently had an experience myself and know just how you feel. I too quilt for charity. I have enjoyed patchworking different blocks, trying new ones. Well recently I was told we will need 200 more quilts by Sept. So now its just sewing a whole cloth front and back together. Its just like work now and no fun. I thought of just stepping back too. I've decided to make some the fast way and still do some the way I want.

That is just too bad someone comment had such an effect. The whole point is the love put into the making of special one of a kind quilts. Your group will still have the the issue of some made better. Hopefully you will not be the only one and they will go back to how it used to be.. tish

• calliope
    10 years ago

I just happened to read this thread again and sat here mulling over what kind of response I'd have likely made when that woman made the statement to the group. It was tacky and rude, and someone should have just stood up and told her it was tacky, rude and tasteless. I don't abide by sharp replies nor do I think acerbic replies are cute, but when people make oafs of themselves, nipping it right in the bud publicly makes them think twice before they do it again. There is no room in a group of women for tolerating such cattiness.