Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Rainbow Crumb Blocks

I keep looking at this and wondering if the colors need to be changed around. I tried the blue next to the green and didn't care for it. Any thoughts?

SharonG/FL

Comments (42)

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I think it works but not exactly in "Rainbow" order. I like your crumb blocks and the idea is a good way to use them. It is going to be a very nice quilt.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Sharon~I agree it needs tweaking. I think I would like to see the pink before the red, and the light blue before the dark blue, fill the upper rt corner with the palest yellow moving into the dark orange-ish yellows, then (maybe) the light yellowish greens.
    I would try ending the left bottom corner with a strong dark color.
    ........or.......I may hate that! But, I like your crumbs!!!!!

When I made that scappy color batiks at Retreat, it was very, very hard to lay it out so the colors flowed.

• bozogardener
    10 years ago

I agree that it needs a bit of tweaking. I would keep trying different colors next to each other until it "works" I visualize blues flowing to purple and the pink flowing to the red, etc.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Red...orange...yellow...green...blue...indigo...and violet.
    Do I sound like a former Rainbow Girl? I was. That said I'm kinda liking the dark to light progression you have going. Tough call and I too like the crumb use. Never heard of that and it looks like a good plan.
    LindaB/CA

• grammyp
    10 years ago

You need some orange. Can I send you some?

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I think I'd like to see the three lighter colors in the upper right (yellow, pink, blue) mixed between the darker colors. Maybe not true rainbow order (a little boring) but with the lighter colors between the darker ones. Maybe put all the blues together instead of splitting them up...they are the only ones that don't have 2 'rows'.

Very cool quilt!!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Love the crumb blocks! I would play with the colors until you like it. Really, you can't go wrong.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas....I'll try them out. I was hoping not to make any more blocks, but if it needs a few orange, I can manage that. I'll see what happens.....maybe take a few pics of various layouts.

I hadn't thought about putting the lighter 'between' the darker blocks......hmmmmm :-)

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    10 years ago

I like your crumb blocks. No help with advice...I'm not good at that kind of thing.
    I love making crumb blocks. I have a lot of totally scrappy ones.
    It always amazes me that all those bits & pieces can be turned into something so beautiful.

TFS.

~Geraldine

• nannykins
    10 years ago

And every time I see one of these, I get feeling very guilty (not Quilty). I am not usually a keeper of small pieces but occasionally, I decide to do that and then they sit until I have a cleanout. Maybe I could send you some, Sharon or Geraldine.
    And no help with the arrangement, it looks good to me.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took a row off the bottom and added one to the width. And, as you can see, changed the color arrangement. Will have to change the name and also make a few more blocks....one yellow and maybe a couple more blues and pinks. Think I'll move the single reds over to the edge and fill those spaces with pink....I don't know.......

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I've not heard of crumb blocks, but I get the concept and really like the result. I doubt you can go wrong in your arrangement, it's whatever appeals to you. Looking good...it will be awesome!
    V.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

What a great idea, Sharon. I've been saving scraps and cutting them into 1.5" squares for a similar quilt. I really like your crumb concept though. I'm partial to the ROYGBIV layout, but sometimes we just don't have enough of a particular color to make it work. That's where your creativity comes in. I really like the first layout. Very nice. Lois

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

ok...I surrender...what is ROYGBIV?

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

ok...I surrender...what is ROYGBIV?

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

ROYGBIV is how you teach kids the order of the rainbow...
    Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Indigo
    Violet

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I am not really worried about ROYGBIV. I really like the first layout in your first pic. I felt like the red balanced the pink and the blue in each corner gave balance as well. And the purple, green, and yellow complimented each other. I think it is a really cool quilt! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• fran1523
    10 years ago

I prefer the first layout and I totally get why you separated the blues. It's the only way the diagonal rows were going to come out right.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

ROYGBIV, sorry..never had this as a kid, and didn't teach this to any either...good to know though...thanks!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Of all the layouts I've tried, I still lean toward the first one. But, I'm not done yet! heh heh heh

SharonG/FL

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

First pic gets my vote too.
    Great way to use up scraps.

• lola99
    10 years ago

I'm partial to diagonal, so I'm leaning towards the first. What if you put the red in the upper right corner where the light blue is, and moved the light blue to the bottom left corner? You would have to shift all the in-between blocks to make room for the 7 red blocks in the upper right, but I think that could be interesting.

Another idea on the 2nd picture is to keep the top half of the block layout exactly as it is and change the bottom half to mirror the top. Take the yellow squares that are in the 7th column and the 6th row and put them in the middle of the 6th row, so the yellow squares all make a big yellow circle in the middle of the quilt. Then arrange the green squares around the bottom half of the yellow circle (like you have the pink and red squares around the top half of the yellow circle) and finish with the blue squares along the bottom row and slightly up the side on the 1st and 7th column, opposite the purple squares on top. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, these are just ideas. No matter what you end up doing, it's going to look great. I really like rainbow colors and crumbs are so interesting. You have a great quilt in the making.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Very pretty quilt, Sharon. I also liked the diagonal layout better. I love the bright colors.

Robbi

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I personally like the first layout but like the color choices better in the second one. You can't go wrong what ever you do. It is bound to be lovely.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK.....this is it. Almost the same as the first picture, but not quite. It's approx 56"x66" at this stage.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

This is perfection! Very balanced and each color flows nicely to the next. I think a 'no border look' will let the crumb blocks stand and shine on their own. That said - I would add a border the same width as the sashing - same fabric - and it will look very contemporary.
    Love - love - love this! You can name it " The Crumby Eyes" .

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Sharon! I love the color arrangement. I agree with Marsha that it doesn't need a border unless you want it to be bigger.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Like the way you decided to arrange the colors.
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I think this is fabulous!!

I agree that one more time around with white to make the outside the same width as the inside sashing...that's what it needs.

And then a white binding or a scrappy binding!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

ditto others compliments........just love the color distribution, layout and the block style!

V.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Like this arrangement very much. Looking good. I agree with a white border but think a rainbow binding would tie it together nicely, small pieces of the colors of the blocks.
    What ever you decide will continue to be perfect. Nice job. My kind of quilt. TFS

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Good job Sharon, as always.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone. It took me awhile to finally get the colors in the position that looked balanced to me, but that's what the design board is for. It sure served it's purpose with this one!

I like the idea of another white strip around....thanks for that idea. Also, I was thinking about a white binding with a flange of the colors used and thought that might give it more of a finished look. But, maybe not.......will have think about it. :-) I might just sew that white border on before putting it away for now.

SharonG/FL

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Sharon, I think your quilt is fantastic. I agree with the border to make the sashing and border equal in width. You did a wonderful job with the color arrangement. I personally would go with the white binding. The quilt is complete as it is. The quilt that I cuddle with is 56x64, and I wish it were a little bigger. Yours will be bigger at about 59x69. It will be perfect. Lois

• calliope
    10 years ago

Wow........like the last layout the best too. Pretty amazing way to use crumbs. Diagonal is definitely the way to go.

• buteau3rd
    10 years ago

Enjoyed the whole conversation, pictures, suggestions,and ideas. I have lots of scraps and would love to use them this way. Are they paper pieced, or make them up as you go along? Maybe a link, if available, would be appreciated.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

You have done it again. I agree with another round of white. There are 2 strips between the blocks and that would balance it nicely.

beverly

• day2day
    10 years ago

Sharon, it turned out wonderful! Great job.
    I like the color arrangement.
    It doesn't need a border......that's my opinion.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I put the white border on yesterday and like it. I have to tell you, I'm glad this one is over.....well, almost over. :-)

Marge, There are a lot of tutorials out there, but I like Quiltville's the best to help get you started. No paper-piecing, just go for it! It feels strange at first, but then it grabs you and won't let go.....you're hooked! I make mine 6 1/2" unfinished, but you can make them any size you want.

I have my crumbs all separated into colors for this project, but now I want to throw them together again so they'll be ready for the next batch of blocks. I've gotten to where I don't keep anything less than an inch anymore, but it still pains me every time they get tossed.

That Gwen sure started something in my life when she first posted about Crumbs. Thank you, Gwen!

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's Crumb Tutorial

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Love this quilt! Layout on Sept. 1, 2013 was perfect and I agree with the final border of the white. I think maybe the binding in one scrappy color - maybe medium greens or reds or blues, the medium to darker colors in the quilt - not pink, pale blue or yellow. I think sticking to one color for the binding (even if it is scrappy) would tend to fight less with all the colors in the quilt.

Just my opinion,
    Teresa

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sharon,
    It is great!
    Sue

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

All the work really paid off: saving scraps, sorting colors, creatively sewing the crumb blocks, then playing with the layout until it was Just Right. You're an artist, Sharon.