Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Binding Tutorial....Raggedy

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 13:57

Since I'm not doing much sewing, I get to look around and find things to show you that I have never seen before. This would be a real fun ending to a real fun quilt!

SharonG/FL-MN

Here is a link that might be useful: Raggedy Flannel Tutorial

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Binding Tutorial....Raggedy

Cute idea for a flannel baby quilt. I'll have to keep it in mind. Are your days alone flying by? Lois

o

Pretty much so, Lois. Yesterday I sewed a bit and got 3 neck warmers made and taught my niece how to make one last night (with the Viking fleece). My sister was surprised because Kelly doesn't even sew on buttons! She also said Kelly couldn't sew a straight line. HA! Just needed a little encouragement plus, told her not to watch the needle but where the edge of the fabric is.

The only negative I can see to this binding is all that cutting afterwards to make it rag. Would like to make a small one when I get home.

SharonG/FL-MN

o

For some reason I can't see this site??? I will try from home and see if I get the same problem.

o

What about the lint from this binding? I would be afraid it would make baby sneeze - or degrading the stability of the binding with all those little cuts would be a potential choking hazard - imagine baby teething, and chewing the edge.
I know~I'm a party pooper! I do think it would make a terrific binding for an older child, or a wall hanging.
Sharon, Glad you are having fun and getting some sewing time in your hectic schedule!

o

I have always thought making a rag quilt for a young baby to be not a good idea. I am concerned that the fuzz would be a hazard. So I am glad someone else feels the same way.
But for an older child, yes!
Interesting binding though.
Theresa

o

Thanks, Marsha and Theresa. I never thought about the ragged edge being a choking hazard. I guess it's been too long since I've had babies around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here