Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not enough fabric

Posted by lowraine (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 13:40

I purchases three sets of purple 4" squares sometime back and made almost all of them into disappearing 9 patches. I was setting out to make a lap quilt or maybe a single quilt for my grandaughter. I am now short by 10 blocks if it is to be a single quilt, any suggestions? I have 38 4" squares left plus 7 9x10 1/2 different color purple fabric. I also have some 1 1/2" strips that I can incorporate into the quilt. I plan to purchase some white fabric to separate the individual blocks. My blocks are 12 x 11 1/4, five across per row. I thought of making a center group of squares as an accent but with five across it will not be centered. I could just leave it with five blocks across and five blocks down which is what I have now. It could become a lap or couch quilt. She will love it either way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not enough fabric

Use the blocks you've got to do as large a center as they will make. Then add a smallish border - not more than 2 inches. Then add a larger border in a print or geometric fabric that goes well with the center. Make it as big as you want.

If you have anywhere from 1 to 4 blocks from the center left over, use them in some or all of the corners.

It's not a problem; it's an opportunity to add another fabric!

Don't be afraid to pick up a little color from the outer print border and use that color as the more narrow inner border.

Kate

o

Here's what I did. I have a yard of fabric that will blend in with the overall color scheme. I drew up the number of blocks as x's and o's the x's being the original blocks, the o's are the new fabric. I am going to add an individual block from the original colors in the center of this new fabric. That will give me a single quilt size. I am going to have a 3" border around the outside with 2" between the blocks and a border around that. I plan on white for the borders.

o

There you have it!! A design opportunity! And it sounds like you've done well and are happy with the outcome.

Can't wait to see a picture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here