Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Graduation quilt

polardream
10 years ago

This is the quilt I made for my son's soon to be sister-in-law's high school graduation. The color is really teal, but looks more blue in the picture. It's a stack and slash and went together very quickly. I used 9 fat quarters, then the mostly solid teal for the sashings, borders, and back. She really liked it and will be taking it off to college with her in the fall.
Sue

Comments (21)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Very nice! The rectangle blocks are a nice change from the standard square. I like the colors...both as a blue & a teal ;)

I inherited an UFO stack N slash from a friend, also started as a QAYG. It may come to retreat with me to finish up. I plan on taking out the already quilted parts and replacing the ugly/stained backing, then piecing it as a complete top.

• day2day
    10 years ago

It's lovely. I like those colors.
    TFS.

~GEraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Sue, This is a really neat stack and slash pattern. Looks like the hardest part is choosing what fabric to use. I like your choices!

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That turned out well. I've used that method before and it's amazing what you can do with it. Good job. Love your color choices. I'm sure she'll treasure it.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very nice! I also love the colors. Very cool and refreshing.

Donna

• lola99
    10 years ago

What a nice gift. You did a great job.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I like your version alot! Some I've seen look too chaotic to me, but yours is 'slashed' with control & order. I need to try this technique using your guidelines. Very nice colors and a very generous gift.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it's a beautiful quilt! Congrats on finishing another quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Very nice! What a great dorm room quilt!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Beautiful and looks like fun!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Just love the colors and the rectangle design block...Very Nice!!!
    V.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I haven't done one; this inspires me to give it a try. I like it!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

A great quilt for going off to collage. Bright and youthful.
    Like the rectangle blocks with the S/S pattern. Works very nicely. Good choices and great outcome. I can see why she liked it.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

What a great quilt. The colors and pattern are great for a young adult.

beverly

• bev2009
    10 years ago

It looks great. I've been wanted to try that pattern, too. Thanks for showing.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

It's just great!!! Makes me want to make one too -- especially since it's in my own favorite colors.

I've never done stack & whack you make it look so FUN!

I'm not always great w/ hues, the light & dark of things (& a good, full range of same). I think you handled that aspect particularly well.

Do you feel it was easy as well as fast? Sounds like you'd recommend it?

• polardream
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the compliments. The stack and slash are SO easy to make! I attached the link to the pattern - but it doesn't do it justice. I put the sashings in because I didn't like how the blocks run into each other on this pattern - I need more definition to show the pattern. Seems like I only moved one or two pieces at a time - not the 3 and 4 they say to in the pattern. Guess I'm a rebel!!! It only took about 45 minutes to make the 9 blocks - a couple hours for the sashings and borders, then quilting it.

As far as the fabric choices, I went to my LQS and found all the fabrics - they were all Modas and I just bought 9 of them in the same grouping - made my life easy. I picked the one with the teal and gold flecks for the sashing/borders and backing. They had a perfect match on the teal thread so went with that for the quilting.

Have a great weekend!
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Stack and slash directions

• fran1523
    10 years ago

What a beautiful selection of fabrics. She will be the envy of everybody in her dorm with that lovely quilt to call her own. And thanks for the link.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

In the fabric catalogs and at shows i always see beautiful packages of coordinating fat quarters. I don't buy them because I don't have a plan for them but now I do! I think the sashing you added is perfect and nicely defines the blocks.

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I love the fabrics and the sashing makes each block pop. Perfect gift for a college student. Thanks for the link - I need a new method to try for quick quilts - I haven't heard of this one.
    Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

After seeing this quilt i started searching for directions on how to...Thanks for posting the link...saved me from asking what directions you followed,
    It's a beauty!
    V.