Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowraine

Machine quilting a queen size quilt, help

lowraine
11 years ago

I have my first large quilt prepared for quilting with a home sewing machine, now what. I have a quilting foot, now what. I have it rolled up and ready to go but I hesitate to make the first move. Is the quilt too large for my sewing machine, will I start and find it too big and bulky and wish I had tied it with thread? Please help me so I don't damage this beautiful quilt. Thanks

Comments (4)

• lowraine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hand quilted a lap quilt recently, maybe I should hand quilt this. It is a gift for my oldest grandaughter for her hope chest. By the way, the hope chest is the one that was given to me by my mother 47 years ago.

• lowraine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hand quilted a lap quilt recently, maybe I should hand quilt this. It is a gift for my oldest grandaughter for her hope chest. By the way, the hope chest is the one that was given to me by my mother 47 years ago.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I've done queen & king sized quilts on my regular sewing machine. It is definitely a task, with an exercise in patience and tenacity. A walking foot is a must, so you are there and ready.

If you choose to go with the machine, you'll want to find an easy pattern. I suggest straight lines going in both directions to form a grid. This can be by following the intersections of your blocks, or just from corner to corner of your quilt, or straight line grids from side to side.

One of my first I took blue painter's tape and placed it from the corner of the quilt to the opposing corner. Then stitched along one side of the tape. Then moved X number of inches over and did it again one until I reached the corner. I then worked from the first line out in the other direction. And repeated the entire process so the cross-hatch grid was created.

There are many possibilities depending on your quilt. Can you post a picture for us to see? THen maybe we can help more.

I'm the self-designated queen of making it work! I've done lots of large quilts on my standard machine. It is definitely possible, though it might wear you out!

• lowraine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jennifer, I took a stab and started the quilt on the machine. It consist of blocks so I started in the middle and stitched around a couple and stopped to inspect the back, good, so I did one more block and took the entire quilt out from the machine and inspected it again, that was also good. I like the tape idea, thank you for helping out. Yes I will post a pic as well as the small lap quilt that goes to my daughter. thanks again