Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Will you sew or quilt this weekend? June20-22

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

I won't be at my sewing machine again this weekend. Last weekend we were in Columbus looking for a house and we found one we love.
The inspection is scheduled for Saturday and, if all goes well, we will close on or before July 11. We will be one mile (2.5 minutes) from our DD and her family.
We have had one showing of our house and another scheduled for Friday evening. We are hoping it sells quickly so we can move. We have a very large lawn to take care of here and it's too far to travel back and forth weekly. DD and her DH will take care of the new house until we move.
Our DS and fam are coming here for the weekend to help clear out things in the garage. DH has accumulated lots of stuff we won't take with us. He has already gotten rid of lots of things in the garage.
I am going to try to quilt two more quilts before I take my frame down for the move.
I will have a large bonus room for my quilting at the new house. I can't wait to get started filling it!
Sorry this is so long!
Linda OH

Comments (26)

• User
    9 years ago

Linda I am glad everything with your house hunt and move is going well! Happy for you! I am continuing to hand-quilt rows 6 & 7 on my parents' Card Tricks quilt. I am hoping I can finish most of these 2 rows before we go on vacation at the end of next week. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• User
    9 years ago

Best of luck and hope it's a done deal and the move is easy-peasy. I would dread doing it again, but I know that eventually we probably will with all this property to take care of. It would be very hard to pack up all that sewing stuff, even if it was for a short time. That room can sit for days that I don't go into it, but I know if I want to I can. I've got a whole bunch of HST's to iron open and it's been sitting for a couple of days now, I'm not a fan of pressing - UGH! And they are hard because they are small - they only make 2 inch square blocks. And probably won't be sewing this weekend, the Grandkids are coming for their monthly weekend stay - usually the second weekend of the month but last week was Father's Day so it got postponed. Right now I'm sweltering, the air is not running for some reason, waiting for the guy to come out and check it out - remember, I live in Central Florida and it's getting thick in here, it feels better out on the porch than in the house where there is a very slight breeze in the shade. It's unbelievable how spoiled we have become, I've lived here in FL since I was 10 months old and never had air until I was 28 years old, how did we survive it???

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

No quilting for me as I'll be on the road again. But, I do foresee a little fabric shopping in my weekend.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Wow, Linda, that was fast! I'm glad you found a house you love.

I sure hope I'll be sewing! Time to shake off this funk. As far as I know we have no plans for Saturday, so maybe having a whole day available will help me get with it.

Donna

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I do not know if I will get to sew this weekend or not. We are having concrete poured tomorrow for a patio that we are covering and screening. I have taken a vacation day tomorrow to finish concrete. I hope my body is up to the task. LOL I worked as a concrete finisher when I got out of high school but that was 30 years ago! We have been digging out the foundation and putting a gravel bed in for the past few weeks and it is finally ready to pour.

Jackie

• User
    9 years ago

Rita I hope your ac gets fixed soon. Last Sunday the cable guy came to our house and got in our attic to fix the internet wires and must have bumped the breaker in the attic for the 1 of our 2 outside ac units, ... we have a good ac guy and he came Monday morning and figured out what was wrong and got it fixed fast for us, but it was a little miserable with only having ac for half the house for close to 24 hours. I grew up as a child with ac window unit in the living room of the house and an attic fan, but I am so spoiled to having an ac now. .... Well I just finished hand-quilting row #6 out of 10 on my parents' Card Tricks quilt. Yay! ... just 4 more rows to go and then the 6" border and binding ... trying to get this done so I can gift it to them for Christmas.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Rita, I grew up in central FL without a/c, too. We had an attic fan to help move air through the house, and a window unit in the living room we only used when it was really, really hot. Both made quite a bit of noise and my mom can't stand noise, so we all melted all summer. Of course, after my sister and I left home mom & dad put in central a/c.

Donna

• User
    9 years ago

Donna, that is too funny - maybe they didn't put it in sooner to keep you from sticking around forever??? Just sayin'! LOL!
    The man was here for about 3 hours, it was a capacitor that shorted out, thank heavens it's still under warranty! We just bought it 2 years ago, why can't things last longer? Back in 1974, before I had air, I was pregnant, and I was already huge in August. I thought I would die of the heat. I used to drive to Zayre's - the only thing around that wasn't a grocery store - and just walk around for hours to cool off. Didn't have any money to spend, just walked around and around.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

No sewing for me. Cooking today, wedding tomorrow, speed packing on Sunday and then leaving.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Surely you can sneak a minute or two at the machine between all those activities. Just joking!
    Have a wonderful weekend and a safe trip north.
    Theresa

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

I moved in with my mom a few weeks ago, so I also had to move my sewing room (not a good situation). Mom was very accommodating with all my "stuff", LOL!! I helped her clean up her garage last weekend (partly my "stuff"), and she can park there again. I do have some kid taxi driving to do on Saturday, and my free motion machine has a thread breakage problem that needs a professional to look at. I'm taking it in tomorrow and I hope it doesn't take them long to fix it. I can't free motion on my other machine :-( But I have been working on the hand work part of my quilt challenge for this years quilt retreat. I'll need my free motion machine back before I can do the next step.

Rita, it's hot and humid here in TN also!! I feel your pain. Glad it was an easy fix.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Everyone has so much going on! Wishing you all safe travels, easy moves, glorious weddings, etc! And a peaceful summer too!

We had our A/C completely replaced last week, inside and outside units. Horribly costly but it's wonderful to have it working without running constantly and pouring water all over the floor. We got pretty sick of mopping and mildew.

I am planning to sew this weekend: diligently working on a signature quilt for a friend's wedding. It's not a very inspiring project so it's going kind of slow.

Kate

• calliope
    9 years ago

First of all, congratulations on finding just the right house for you near your children. Next, good luck on selling your home there and may it all come together seamlessly. I KNOW you will have some withdrawal from your quilting in the transition!

Yes, I have already gotten a little sewing done this morning, whilst upstairs making the bed. I stopped when I ripped the pad of one finger open on a straight pin, so I wouldn't leave stains on the quilt. I seem to mark all of my quilts with at least one tiny, red blood stain from a finger pricked on a en, and never find them until they're set. Then the day got busy.

I have some pies to make for Hubby to take to a church picnic. I am busy doing some exterior painting and in my garden. It's growing like something from Jack and the Beanstalk. Warmth and rains. I am down to just a few more columns of knots on the puff quilt and the machine and thread are playing together nicely lately. (do not be tempted to use cheap thread). It's entirely possible I may get a lot of the finish work done on it this weekend.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Everyone is so busy that I am feeling very guilty and lazy. I want to start a project but can't decide which one.
    So while I make up my mind, I am doing some reading. I did clean the freezer though, found some treasures and some surprises.
    I want to do some baking for the Open House our children are planning so was checking what needs doing.
    Hope everyone has a peaceful, productive weekend.
    Theresa

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Rita I'm glad the a/c was a simple fix... it is hot here! The a/c at work is out today so I know all about it!

The walking foot I ordered on Ebay for my Bernina finally arrived.... One day after my one year anniversary of buying the machine, so I'm calling that her anniversary present :) having tremendous fun with it...

My sewing friend in Alabama had shoulder surgery so I'm working on an applique project to send her to make her feel better.... flowers in a vase done with raw edge applique. It is a fun project, but I need to get it finished and sent so it can do the job it is intended to and take her mind off the pain even if only for a second...

Hope everyone has a fun and productive weekend!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Linda...happy to read your good news! . Moving can be stressful, but with a new home you love...it makes it all worthwhile!
    Everyone sounds quite busy this weekend...Jackie...pouring concrete!? omg, I can't imagine how physically taxing that can be...I need to do some major weed pulling and I'm not looking forward to it...but it's next to nothing in comparison.
    After weed pulling and some chores, I am restarting my nieces quilt. New, sure fire design...hope to get half of it done this weekend.
    Happy sewing everyone :-)
    (1 more week to get those paper pieced bird houses sewn! Easy and cute!)
    V.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Val. My bird houses are on their way.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Woohoo - I'm sewing! The valance for my friend is done. I'm going to start a miniature this afternoon. :)

Donna

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Busy here today... lots of fun, but now I need to hire someone to clean up the mess.

I think you're supposed to send flowers when someone isn't feeling well, so I hope these do the trick! Only border, batting, and backing left to do and then it will be on the way to the recipient...

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Linda, congrats on finding a house and getting yours on the market. Busy times. I envy your proximity to your grands.

Everyone here sounds busy. And why are all the AC units going on the fritz? Ours on our boat can't begin to keep up with this heat - and of course we have no shade. Came back to boat last evening and it was 87 in our main salon.
    So I've been going over to my moms house to sew in her guest room. Spent a few hours yesterday cutting and bagging up the fabrics for Carol Doak's Mariners Compass Star blocks. I've got less than half done on that.
    Today I'll go back there and try to find bottom on one of my bins of stuff, to find a whole cloth quilt that is already marked and ready to go. I'm going to machine quilt it for a friends baby shower. Left it to the last minute...
    If I get that done and still have time energy I'll get a couple of bird houses done. They are so cute.
    VF, what a nice vase & flower for your friend.

Our house is within 2-3 weeks of being finished. I can't wait to move into my own sewing room! Then I swear I'm going to be making draperies for months.

Friday I went to a workshop on crazy quilting. The project was a needlebook. I Love mine. It's the best project I think I've done in a workshop. Have lots of hand embellishment left to do, then assemble it. I used silk dupioni's in yellows oranges and reds.
    Marjorie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I am exhausted! Went to bed early, got up late, 6 extra people here, people needing coffee. Got that made and put in travel mugs and the rest in a carafe to take to other people needing coffee who are staying at DD's who doesn't drink the stuff. They're all gone now and it's quiet.....best for these old people. Now to pack.......sigh. But, I'm happy.

The wedding was great, the bride, granddaughter, Danielle, looked beautiful, the reception stupendous - granddaughter, Meagan, the Maid of Honor, is a real hoot! No inhibitions when on the dance floor, even with her grandpa. Pictures on FB.....hope you can see them. :-)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: My Facebook page

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Linda, congrats on the house.... The bonus room sounds promising and fun!

I finished.... almost.... I need to close the left side where I turned it after sewing the batting .... I may tack down that border with something very simple since there isn't any other quilting, but for the most part, I'm done....

• loisflan
    9 years ago

I finished my first quilt on my new Tiara. I can see that my main problem will be choosing the correct quilting pattern for a project. The actual quilting went quite well, but I wasn't satisfied with the pattern I used. Oh, well. I'm sure I will get better with time. It sure was fun to finish the whole quilt myself. It's washed and labeled and ready to be delivered. Now on to the second top.

Oh, and I tried Elmer's School Glue to sandwich the quilt. It's fantastic. Not a pucker anywhere. I'm totally sold on it. No more pins for me.

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Well, with some serious devoted time I finished selecting, cutting and bagging the fabrics for 18 paper pieced compass star blocks by Carol Doak. They've gone into a bin, and when I get into my sewing room I'll be able to stitch them as I want.
    When I get into my sewing room I'll also be able to finish piecing my double wedding ring quilt.
    When I get into my sewing room I'll be able to cut and make my drapery panels - 9 windows to start with.
    When I get into my sewing room....see a pattern here?

So today I'd better get back over to my moms house to find and quilt that baby gift. Argh

Sharon, I was able to link to your FB page, but the most recent pics were from April 20. Glad to hear the wedding went well.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I'm really pleased with the progress I'm making on the signature wedding quilt! I have all the 6" signature blocks sewn; now all I need to do is cut and press. I'll have a full set of bonus squares too! As a surprise to the bride, I'm going to use the bonus squares to make a table runner for her. Maybe put a mariners compass in the center, or a wonky paper pieced rose or something. She plans to use the signature quilt as a wall hanging so the table runner will compliment it nicely I think.

I put this project off for months so I'm glad it's finally moving along!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Bobby, What a great friend you are to think of making the for your buddy. Great job!!

Sorry you couldn't see the wedding pics. I'll give you a teaser and if you want more I can put them up over in the gallery or email. The geezer was doing his thing on the dance floor with his grandgirls, too. This is Johnny and Jaycie struttin' their stuff.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths