Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? June 7-9

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I haven't sewn all week. I have been cleaning out closets and re-organizing the contents. Yesterday I went through some old magazines and tore out the quilts I may want to make someday. I still have lots more to look at. It is so liberating to get rid of the stacks of magazines! It is also nice to be able to find things in the closets again!
I plan to get back to the baby quilt this week. I have missed my sewing machine. lol
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (19)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

LOL Linda, about an hour ago I was thinking of starting this thread, and wondering if you were away or something! :)

Last night I pieced the backing for my Turning 20 quilt for my sister, then this morning I cut the batting and ironed the top, so it's ready to load on the frame, either this evening or first thing tomorrow. I'm planning to just do an all-over loopy design, so I'm hoping to get it quilted this weekend. I have no plans till a congregational meeting at church Sunday afternoon.

Last night I also started knitting a baby blanket for a coworker, so I'll probably work on that some, too.

Good for you purging your magazines! I usually do that before my guild's quilt shows (I donate them to the boutique). I'm down to a pretty small library of books and patterns that I may actually get around to making some day. LOL I did find an OLD book called "Afghans to Knit & Crochet" last night that should probably go in the Goodwill pile. Judging from the styles and colors it must have been published in the 70s. :)

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I've had a great week in the sewing room already. I've made 5 pairs of pajama bottoms for DS, fixed a pair of yoga pants for DD, made sundresses for the other 2 DDs, I've finished the top for my niece's grad quilt and await the backing fabric, and finished the guild's president's quilt.

Today I'm working on new canvas 'roofs' for the kids' playset. Will have to go out in the rain to take measurements, and then hem up the sides so DH can staple it in place.

After that's done, I'm not sure what other projects I'll try to cross off my list. I have a mini storm-at-sea that needs put together, only I'm having difficulty with the layout. Might try to work on that in order to get it out of the way...it's currently sitting on the quilt frame.

jennifer

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I mended some clothes this week. Since am busy organizing stuff for our upcoming RV trip and do not have enough time before we leave to hand-quilt Christy's grandbaby quilt, I decided to store it until we get back from our trips so it won't get dusty. This week I have been crocheting bookmarks for my family. Yesterday I started cutting fabric for a Crazy Quilt, so am hoping to work on it during the next few days. I am gonna do it on the machine that way I can square up with my square rulers and rotary cutter. I cut the center 5" unfinished squares for it I believe last year so it's been a UFO for several months now.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I got my aunt's quilt back from the LAQ last night. I'll put the binding and label on this weekend, so I can bring the quilt with me to Chicago next weekend. I really like it. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

Maybe I'll get the binding on my Marimekko quilt this weekend too. Somehow the thought of 40 feet of binding has been too daunting for me. But I would like to start using the quilt, so I'd better get going on it.

That's probably all I'll get done this weekend unless it rains. I still have some mulching to do in the garden, so that will take priority. Have a nice weekend, everyone.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh my..........it has been one week, and I hope to find my way into the sewing room tomorrow morning with my morning cuppa and recuperate. My husband has been out of town with his brother who has been in hospital and who is now getting better, and just to add icing to the cake, my puter has been crashed for a week. It's up now and running, but I've been reinstalling programs and have more to do. My bees have been swarming, and we've been trying to get the new colonies salvaged to a hive...... there is part of a tree down (no storm, just did it) and my back's been out. But things are starting to look up. I just finished block 36 of the Depression Block and think I'll just add one or two more rows to it to make it a six by seven or six by eight and get 'er sandwiched. Love the way the pattern went together, but poke me with a fork, I'm about done! Birds are fledging and raising commotion. A tiny nuthatch chick decided to light on an upstairs window and raised a ruckus as parents went back and forth to feed it and lure it off.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I've made my uneven nine-patches, and am working on getting them set with the half moons to make them Glorified.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

No sewing here.....family on the way.

SharonG/FL

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Glad everyone is staying busy. I haven't sewn in so long that I'm going to have to read the manual to figure out how to turn the sewing machine on. I moved the sewing machine/table from the living room back to a corner in the bedroom and haven't gotten it all set up yet... but it's out of the way and right in front of a window so I will enjoy piecing.... however I don't really have the room to manipulate a big quilt where the machine is now (the table is right against a wall)... hopefully I'll get my act together soon because I miss it!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I just finished four hours of gardening. It's just perfect outside. I think I'm going to visit someone in the hospital and grocery shop. DD is in town for the weekend, so that always makes things livelier.

I really need to go get some thread to hand quilt DD's wall hanging. I was using old thread and found it broke quite easily when I was tugging the small knot through. I don't want it to disintegrate too soon. If I get some, I'm work on that this weekend.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

We are gearing up for an RV trip soon, and I like to have the house nice and clean before we leave so I get to come home to a clean house. I have managed to machine sew 3 12" Crazy Quilt blocks. Will embellish them at some point in the future. Hubby was gone to town part of the afternoon so I was able to curl up with a good book, Elm Creek Quilts Round Robin, this afternoon while the tv was off in the bedroom. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I finished the quilting on my brother's birthday present today (pictures in another post). I don't think I'll have time for anything else this weekend because I brought home a briefcase full of work that needs to get done before Monday.

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Kate, your problem was that you brought the briefcase home! If you'd left it at the office, then you wouldn't have to do it by Monday! live and learn ;)

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Ooooh! That makes sense, Jen! Next week I'll have a better plan!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Yesterday I quilted my sister's quilt so today's goal is to make the binding and get it machine sewn. Then I can do the hand sewing over the next few evenings. :)

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I finished painting my sewing room. What was supposed to be a sort of salmon of course came out more pink, or pank as they say here. Some really do lol!!!!

I did go through and clean out some of the room, I still need to tackle the closet.
    Rosa

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I got a quilt finished yesterday! A UFO, done!!

Well, to be honest, it wasn't my UFO, it was a friend's. She gave it to me with two borders made, I had to find fabric and make the other two borders, quilt, bind, etc.

And to be honest again, it is only an 11" x 14" snail's trail quilt. But it sure is cute! And it sure is DONE!!!

I also sorted through another UFO from this friend...matching already cut fabric (14 different hand-dyes) to the instructions and figuring things out. Only now I need the special ruler in order to work on it. I know the friend has one, but her sewing room is all packed up and ready to move, so I can't ask to borrow it. Hoping someone else in the guild has one I can borrow and can bring it to meeting tomorrow night.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I have been pretty busy cutting scraps for a Bonnie Hunter quilt today. I have one of her mystery quilts that I have been working on "Easy Street". I am doing it in Blacks, Reds, Blues. The one I have been cutting scraps for is a double irish chain that I am going totally scrappy with. I have so many scraps, so I decided to cut all the 2 inch squares and will probably end up working on both of these quilts at retreat this year. In the past couple of weeks I have been learning to use my new long arm. I have quilted three smaller quilts using pantographs on it so far. One baby size out of scrappy birthday blocks from a few years ago and two others that are bigger. One was from bowtie blocks that I found when we were cleaning out my grandmother's house. I will save the quilt for my first grandchild, since it will be blocks that its great great grandmother made. The other is a round robin that we did on this forum a year or so ago. I have cut binding today for two of these. One is machine sewn on and ready to do the hand sewing to the front. I will sew the other binding on one evening this week.

I went to an estate sale a couple weeks ago and bought two quilt tops that are maybe queen size. I am going to quilt them soon. I also purchased bags of appliqued quilt blocks that are butterflies and victorian girls with fancy dresses, so these may come to retreat with me also. I won't get bored that is for sure!

Since finishing my nephew's double wedding ring quilt, I have focused on things that I want to finish. I do not plan on making a quilt for someone else for the rest of the year. Some of what I complete may end up as gifts but I am not quilting on a deadline this year.

Jackie

• polardream
    10 years ago

I am so envious of all of you that got to quilt! Our neighborhood had a garage sale on Saturday, so I spent most of last week getting stuff ready, then the sale Saturday, then cleanup on Sunday. I boxed up or tossed most of what was left and will call a charity this morning to pick up the rest. I only put a few of the big things back after taking ;pictures so I can Craigslist them. AND I SILL HAVE A HOUSE FULL OF JUNK I DON"T WANT!

Today my church quilt group meets, so need to figure out what I will take to work on., It will be good to get a little sewing in before I go to Iowa for a week.

Sue

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I didn't get much sewing done but have been working to clean things out of the old sewing room closets to move them up to where I sew now. Our guild has a sale this fall and I can sell bags of things if I get it ready and organized. Another pile is for the "free" table at guild. I'm not completely done yet but it looks better already.

I found about six projects I'd forgotten about where I had made one block and then put it away because I didn't like it. Each of those also had ALL the fabric I'd need for the whole quilt. Boy do I have extra fabric now. And, don't let me buy any more white. I unearthed about a total of 12 yards, some WOW.

This week I will start a special applique project intended to go into our guild show this year. It's an art quilt and I hope it works out.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms