Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
King top finished! (2 yrs of birthday blocks)

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 12:40

I finished it! Well, at least I finished the top. This quilt top includes 12 Buckeye Beauty squares from this year's birthday blocks (Thank you Piece of Cake quilters!) and some London Squares from last year's birthday blocks (Thank you Carolina Lilies quilters!). I added a few more London Squares to have enough for a large drop down border on 3 sides and LOTS more Buckeye Beauties. All blocks are either 1930's reproduction fabrics or dots in shades that went with the 1930's colors.

It started out to be a quilt for the queen size guest bed. But as I started to put it all together last week, DH Jim mentioned (several times!) that it's been a long, long time since I made a new quilt for our bed. I can take a hint so changed the plan to make it fit a king size bed.

I really like the way it turned out and am thrilled that the two squares work so well together. I added the inner blue/white/blue border just to get the size right but I'm OK with the way that looks too. I've just ordered 108" wide white on white fabric for the backing (under $7/yd from fabrics.com!) and will make an appointment with the long arm quilter. This one is too big to quilt on my machine!

It has a real farmhouse look to it so I think I'll call this one Farmhouse Beauty.

Kate

Gracie (aka "The Big Petunia") likes it too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: King top finished! (2 yrs of birthday blocks)

This tuned out very nice! Amazing how good those blocks look together with all the different 'helping hands'. It is indeed a Beauty!

o

It's beautiful! The blocks work well together.

I LOVE the border layout with the blue dots strip and the 'zigzag' blocks.

~Geraldine

o

Good job, Kate! That's one BIG quilt! Thanks for showing us your inspector, too. :)

Donna

o

that's great. I love how the colors all blend together so well. You're certainly are an advertisement for joining a birthday block group. Well done.

o

What a gorgeous quilt! I love everything about it! Nice job!

Teresa

o

Gorgeous! Quilt that is, altho the kitty is cute too! lol

I agree w/Linda - you are a great Birthday Block swap advertisement! :)

o

It's lovely and you were so creative to find a way to work with both blocks! They go together beautifully. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Jeanne

o

I DO love the birthday groups and the lotto blocks. The first year in a birthday group I used my blocks to make a Linus Project quilt that ended up getting me a free pass to Disney World for a day. Better yet, I hope it brought comfort and joy to a child. I know others have also used their birthday or lotto blocks for donation quilts, so even if you don't want them for yourself, there are plenty of good things to do with them! Skill level doesn't matter - its just fun to participate. :~))

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here