Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Chrizty's Grandbaby Quilt Top

quiltingfox
10 years ago

I finally finished hand-sewing Christy's Grandbaby quilt top last night. The center flower is hand-appliqued with the top pink petals being double-sided and free floating just sewed down at the base of the pink petals. It's been great fun making and designing a baby quilt for a little girl! All I have left to do is get my S-I-L to make me a label for the back of the quilt, sandwhich and hand-quilt the layers of the quilt together (the back fabric of the quilt will be pink floral fuschia), then will add a Leah Day type of binding in dark green to match the center Baby Bub quilt blocks, and then I plan to try to make some crocheted lace to use as edging underneath the binding to fringe the outer edge of the quilt. Hoping I can have it all completed and ready to mail to her by August.

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (16)

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A pic of the center appliqued flower with double-sided pink petals. I saw a tiny 1.5" X 1.5" pic of this block in Better Homes and Garden Quilt Pink for Hope quilt book, but still had to draw the block pieces at a much larger scale from scratch. This was a learning curve for me creating double sided petals to incorporate into the applique center flower on her quilt. This was a fun quilt to make.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

That looks terrific!

I love the idea of the crocheted lace around the edge, and since it's only June 3, sounds like you have plenty of time to get it all done!

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

That is stunning. I love the loose flower petal idea. Mommy will love it and I think that is the perfect little girl quilt. I can easily see it becoming her fave blankie.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That's really cute. I love your colors and the green binding is perfect. Hope to see it when you've finished.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches! We are going to be gone RVing during the next 2 months, but am hoping to hand-quilt it in latter part of July, between now and then I plan to work on the crocheted lace while we travel, will need to make about 170" of it - I have designed & written crocheted lace bookmark patterns before, but never made it in such a long strip before so this will be a little bit of a learning curve for me. I am so excited though to have the quilt top finished! I think I will do echo quilting when I hand quilt it. :-)

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sandra...The top looks perfect for a little girl...it's adorable! I can't beleive you'll hand quilt, that's impressive.
    Post a pic of the final before it becomes anothers...
    V.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Oh, what a happy quilt. Colors are great and the flower is precious. I know it will be much loved.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Beautiful! This is a precious keepsake quilt. As much as I want quilts to be used and loved ~~ this is all made by hand ~~ and I want it to be given lots of TLC. You amaze me!

I always want to ask, why do you piece entirely by hand, and make your own templates? I know you love the process - it shows!

Have a great trip!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Oh Sandra! It's a beauty!!! As quickly as you work, I think you have plenty of time, especially if you do your crocheting while traveling. I know you're having fun making a girly quilt. :-)

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches for your wonderful comments on the quilt! I have been posting pics of the quilt in all its stages on Facebook, so Christy has been helping me make decisions on colors used in the blocks and layout of the center blocks and design, it's been kind of fun getting feedback from her and collaborating with her.

Marsha "why do I piece entirely by hand" on most quilts ... I am very noise sensitve and don't enjoy hearing a sewing machine, the sound of a sewing machine stresses me out, I feel like I have more control hand piecing getting my points to turn out just right when I hand piece, a lot of blocks I have made by hand have a lots of triangles in them and usually have thick points that sometimes bends my sewing machine needle, I love to work with my hands, I like to feel things in my hands, most quilts I have done in the past by hand piecing have fabric pieces that are too small to back stitch on the sewing machine without puckering the fabric, and my bed with my temperpedic mattress is much more comfortable to sit on than my desk chair, which I can't seem to get hubby to replace with a new one. I love to board draft by hand and I feel like if I make plastic templates that store in clear pages with patterns in binders then those things can be passed on to future generations, even if I am no longer living then, any of my future family members will be able to take out those plastic templates and make a quilt with it. I love to work with my hands and I get bored sitting at a desk all day, and I have more room to layout a block on my bed in front of me as I hand piece blocks and as I do that I like to "listen" to tv shows. I only have 1 desk that I used for my computer and fabric cutting and sewing, I am hoping in a future quilt room in my next house that I will have at least 2 desk surfaces to work on 1 to cut on and 1 to sew on so I can leave my sewing machine out and not have to keep it stored under my desk. In the future quilts I work on that have much bigger pieces I will be tempted to sew on the machine, like the Scatter Leaves quilt and the Crazy Quilt I have started that I like to use my rotary cutter and acrylic rulers on for squaring things up. I have just started learning how to use my rotary cutter during the past couple of years and am still trying to wrap my head around that process of fabric manipulation. That was the long answer. The short answer - I know I will make fewer quilts in my lifetime, but I just love to work with my hands.

Sharon you are thinking exactly like me ... yes I do plan to take the crochet lace project with me while traveling. :-)

Best to you and thanks bunches!,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 18:22

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Your quilt is wonderful and I appreciate your hand piecing. My first queen sized quilt was all hand pieced and hand quilted and it has lasted for 37 yrs. (wow,,, doesn't seem that long>.Jenny Beyer, one of my favorite quilters also hand sews all of her fantastic quilts, so your not along in the love of the art.
    I think that addition of lace is perfect for this little one's quilt and will be cherished for many years.
    Congratulations and TFS.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you bunches nanajayne! That is good to know that a quilt will last for 37 years and then some. I know my good friend, Christy, will treasure using this quilt with her grandbaby that is on the way and with future grandbabies. When I am done with this quilt I want to make another one in girl colors and maybe 1 in boy colors similar to this one for my future grandbabies - my child is only in elementary school, but while I don't have bad arthritus in my hands I want to make a couple more baby quilts and put up for the future. I have really enjoyed working on Christy's grandbaby quilt though! :-) I like how the 8 inch granny square blocks frame the center 12 inch baby bud blocks and for a little boys quilt I can always swap out the 4 center blocks for something more suited for a boy. Those will be quilts to start next year though. Once I get Christy's quilt completed, then this summer/fall I want to start hand-sewing all the 100 9-inch Card Tricks blocks together to make my parents' quilt top. I have so many quilts that I want to make during the next few years, some times is just fun to sit around thinking about and planning. :-)

Sandra

• chrizty
    10 years ago

I LOVE it!! Sandra you did a awesome job!!Thank you so much! The flower brings all the blocks together and just completes the quilt!!
    And yes this quilt will be and is loved.:) . I may or may not let the Grand babys use it lol
    I understand the love of hand sewing. half my quilts are hand sewn the other half machine sewn. :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Sandra, Your statement reminds me of what my MIL told me. "The most fun of going out is the 'getting ready' part." And, get ready she did! LOL

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    10 years ago

What a beautiful top and perfect for a lucky little girl!
    I like the loose flower petals.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christy I am so glad you love it!!! I have had fun designing this quilt with your collaboration using pics on Facebook. It truly has been a joy to work on this quilt for you and your grandbaby!!! Thanks Sharon, I believe half the fun is just in the planning and trying new things like on this quilt learning how to do the double-sided flower petals - that gave me a lot of self-satisfaction finding out that I could accomplish that - and that will be fun to do on future flower appliques. Thanks Geraldine! :-)

Sandra

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz