Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Tip of the Day 6/10/11 Binding

magothyrivergirl
12 years ago

Please share a Tip for Binding-something you think may be interesting. It can be tools, cutting, sewing, size, needles, thread -anything at all that you find useful when doing binding.

I know binding has probably been discussed to death, but I think we are always looking at a way to be more efficient and precise. I am - I am picky and I love precise-I admit it~lol.

I am sharing a blog that I found recently - I have the same Pfaff machine she uses. Click on the link 'Bias-Cut Binding Handout'. I used this method to cut my binding and I found it to be more precise than sewing the tube and drawing those pesky lines. I prefer a small binding most of the time, and cut my bias strips at 1 7/8" for a French binding, so there is no fudge factor.

It is fast - yes, you have to sew the strips together, but that goes pretty quickly. I was very happy with the process.

I also sew to the back of the squared quilt, and bring the binding to the front and stitch with a blanket stitch. I am using a bilevel foot and it is working perfectly for me. I think it's intended use is for sewing flat felled seams or hemming jeans.

Please share your tips! I am revising & tweaking my method on each quilt. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick and Easy Bias Cut Binding Tip

Comments (7)

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Coming from an upholstery background, I have never sewn fabric into a tube to make bias binding. I had to get my bias strips for the welt cord anywhere I could, LOL. I never bought extra fabric just for that.

I always thought that tube method was *ahem* stupid! Just too much work. All that lines drawing and scissor cutting -NO, my rotary cutter is so much faster. And really, I can seam all the binding for a bed quilt in less than 10 minutes. The cutting of the tube would take three times as long, and probably aggravate my incipient arthritis.

Actually I think her method with the folds is unnecessarily complicated also.

I make one long 45-degree cut using the ruler markings, and then just fold the cut edge over itself, so that I can make shorter length cuts, with longer results.

I cut the width of my bias strips depending on the effect I want - anywhere from 2" to 3". Sometimes with a striped fabric, I treat it as an extra border, so I like a 1/2" finshed width.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I love to use glue on the corners. It gives a perfect mitered corner, washes out, and causes no probs when sewing the binding. I sew on the front and hand stitch to the back. On a quilt I know will be used a lot I also sew the binding on the back and stitch down the front with a decorative stitch. I have tried using the backing as binding but I never can get the corners to look right. I agree about the bias tubes being too much trouble. Can't get use to the bicycle clip etc. to hold the binding in place so I still use glue and pins lol!!!!!!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

After trying many many ways of connecting the ends, this is my preference. I like how it easily comes together on an angle. @:)

SharonG/FL-IN

Here is a link that might be useful: Putting the ends together

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I use Sharon Schamber's method now where you glue to front and press to set glue and then sew. Then turn it to the back and sew down by hand or SID. I've never had the wavy problem since I started to do that. Glue is clear Elmer's school glue which washes out and is safe for fabric.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have tried several different methods inc. those mentioned here (except the use of glue) and for the most part prefer the technique of sewing to the front and hand stitching to the back. I don't like the method of sewing to the back and topstitching the front as well because I can never make it look nice on the back--that may be me.
    I did use the serger with several, mostly wall hangings, but that makes for a firmer edge. Very quick and trims nicely.
    I seldom use bias unless on curves or want the effect found with certian fabrics. I find it time consuming and uses more seams to join the fabric.
    I have seen a technique that I may try using narrow fusable web but haven't found the place I want to try it.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I have almost always used straight grain binding. But... Just recently I saw the quilt I had made grandson #1. The binding had frayed almost all the way around the quilt. It was that one thread that decided to go and go it surely did. I could have cried.
    So I think I will try the bias method from here on.
    Theresa

• karpet
    12 years ago

I love this method for bias binding from a member of another forum. I'm not sure why, but I can get a longer binding on the bias than I can with width-length binding when I don't have an abundance of fabric left to make the binding with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bias binding by Pirate

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida