Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

My Memorial Day project

jennifer_in_va
11 years ago

I started working on this last weekend and finished it yesterday, just in time to show it off at a dinner with the girls...

My workhorse had problems going through SO many layers! Usually one layer of stiff stuff and fabrics for a tote isn't too bad, but in cases on this one, there were 2 layers of stiff stuff, 10 layers of fabric and a layer of fleece. My machine didn't like that. So I moved over to the Singer 15-91 and it sewed like butter (just didn't have a 1/4" foot!)

This was a pattern I'd always seen in the catalogs and now I can say I've finally done one! I may never do another, but most of it was fun.

Comments (15)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Very nice, Jennifer! Is it woven fabric strips or pieced squares? Love the colors!

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's woven strips. Jelly rolls strips sewn into tubes, then filled with stiff strips. Woven together and then built into a box with the gussets on the end added with binding. Pockets were fleece covered on both sides, then bound, then top stitched to woven strips. Thus the multiple thicknesses.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

As nice as that looks, Jennifer, I think making one would be enough....give your machine a break. lol

SharonG/FL-IN

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Great job!!! My half done purse is still waiting - after a year - maybe soon.................
    Rosa

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Very nice - I agree with Sharon - one may be enough! Don't you love it when you finish something just in time to show it off...um...I mean take it with you.

Have a great time at dinner - and do not spill any wine on it!

• User
    11 years ago

I Love This! Years ago I hated blue yellow combos but now I'm nuts about them. Funny how we change. A beautiful purse.

One day I'll try one of those but in the meantime I working on improving my basic skills.

Thanks for sharing this gem with us.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Beautiful bag! Perfect for summer and you did a great job!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

It turned out perfect and I love the blue/yellow batiks! Bet it was fun to show it off!!!

Like Peggy, I didn't always love the blue yellow combination but for the last several years I've been totally enthralled by it. It looks so cheerful and fresh in any fabric but especially in batiks.

Kate

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

I love the colors - very cheerful. I love the pattern too.
    Thanks for explaining the technique. It sounds like a lot of work!
    Vasu

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

Love your bag! What size is it? Good job of sticking to it to finish in spite of problems!
    Linda OH

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, Linda Those that know me well know that I rarely give up on a project! I can count 2 that I recall, that I've totally given up on, and then, only after trying really hard to salvage them!

I think it's 9" deep and 13" wide, about 6" the other way. It's the larger of the two options in the pattern.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Gussets are really tricky to do especially with all those layers. You did a great job. I love the color combination.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Very pretty, Jennifer. Good job.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Jennifer, I love that bag! Good for you for sticking with it - the colors are wonderful and it looks like it will be fun to use!
    Sue

• lola99
    11 years ago

I'm impressed. It looks very professional. What a fun bag for the summer.