Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

T-Shirts: Back in The Day

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I shouldn't be posting this yet because it's not quilted but that may take some time and I don't want to wait. This whole project has taken some time if you consider some of these Ts come from the 1970s. Others are from the 80s and 90s. Lots of fun memories represented here from work places, vacations and university days.

Based on comments in another thread I've decided I will not make this my first longarm quilting project. I'll either do it on my Juki or I'll wait until I've had a chance to practice LA on another project. I really appreciated all the great advice!

My first posting about making a quilt from old Ts dates back to November 2011 so you all have helped me through this project from the start!

"Back in The Day":

Kate

Comments (17)

• empress
    10 years ago

Kate, I love that quilt. And the sashing fabric is perfect--almost psychedelic design but the colorway goes so well with all the Ts. What a fun project and wonderful execution.

Thanks for sharing!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Love the border fabric! It is perfect for our era of back in the day.
    I have been thinking of making a T-Shirt quilt-we wear our T-Shirts until they get too holey :)
    Great job - you will enjoy it!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

You did a good job featuring the different shirts. A good mix of colors and design. The border is made for it. A good choice. I can see why you chose to wait on the quilting. Not one to practice on I think. TFS.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Wow, no kidding Kate, that border print looks like you ordered it printed up to match your T-shirts. It all blends and looks fabulous. There must be some great memories in there!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I love it Kate!!! I had a collection of Hard Rock tees, some a friend had given me from her travels in Europe. I gave them to a teen when I moved, drats, I wish I had kept them. They would have made a really nice quilt.
    Rosa

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

Kate,
    Wonderful job! Great decision to wait for the quilting. Looks amazing!

Spectacular!
    Gwen

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The minute I saw the border print I wanted to use it for this. I do think of it as psychedelic and it fits. It's a Kaffee Fassett print called Umbrellas.

Kate

• day2day
    10 years ago

sorry...double post.

This post was edited by day2day on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 15:00

• day2day
    10 years ago

Nice t-shirt quilt......and yes, I'm sure there are lots of memories there.
    The border/sashing fabric is an unusual choice but so fun!.
    Great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Very cool quilt, Kate. Love the sashing/border fabric. It's perfect.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I'm glad you've postponed the quilting on this fabo quilt until you are more comfortable on the long arm. It's a way cool quilt...The border print works perfectly! You and DH will want to keep snuggle with this while walking down memory lane!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I agree the sashing fabric knocks it out of the park! Don't think I've seen a T-shirt quilt I liked this much before.
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Great job, Kate. Like V said, lots of memories there.

SharonG/FL

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I normally do not care for t-shirt quilts but his one makes me wish I had saved all those shirts! I love the sashing on this quilt.

Jackie

• bev2009
    10 years ago

This quilt looks wonderful. Everything ties together so well, it looks like it was purchased T shirts just for the quilt. I'm glad you're waiting, too. This one is worth quality quilting.

• calliope
    10 years ago

VERY nice

• buteau3rd
    10 years ago

Kate, you and your quilt are amazing!

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia