Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Civil War quilt is finally done!

Posted by msmeow (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 11:12

I finally finished my Civil War quilt. This was a Nancy Rink BOM from 2011. I modified the borders to make it bigger for our king size bed. I finished the top in 2011...it just took me this long to get around to quilting it!

Ode to Blue & Grey photo OdetoBlueampGrey_zpsf9f74c65.jpg

Sashing quilting:
 photo Odequiltinginsashing_zps93f7eff1.jpg

Border quilting (from the back):
 photo Odeborderquiltingfromback_zps3286f95f.jpg

Block quilting (from the back):
 photo Odeblockquiltingfromback_zps6aaa6dd4.jpg

That was my last finished top to be quilted. From now on I'm going to try to quilts tops as they are finished! I do have several projects in progress, but plan to quilt each one as the top is done.

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Civil War quilt is finally done!

I think it's a beautiful quilt! How big is each block? Congrats on finishing it and thanks for sharing.

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Thanks, Sandra! They are 16" blocks.

o

Congratulations...I know if feels good to finish! Looks great, nice quilting!
V.

o

Lovely, lovely quilting!
And beautiful quilt too.
Theresa

o

That is just gorgeous. I love the fabrics and colors, my favorites. Good job.

o

Wonderful! Such interesting blocks and I love the colors you chose. Your quilting is very nice......I'm turning green with envy here.

Teresa

o

Beautiful quilt, Donna. And your quilting is fantastic. What type of machine do you have? Is it a long arm? Do you mark the designs on the quilt or free-hand them? And what makes a quilt a "Civil War" quilt? Patterns and fabrics that would have been available then?

Sorry for all the questions. You do lovely work. Lois

o

Thank you, everyone! It's nice to get a big project finished. :)

Lois, I have a 9" Juki on a Hinterberg frame. I free hand things like the leaves and feathers in the borders. The sashing and block designs came from a book I have - I copied them on paper then pinned the paper in place, sewed through it and tore it off.

The pattern was designed by Nancy Rink in honor of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. The fabrics are mostly CW reproductions in colors and patterns similar to those available in the 1860s.

Donna

o

The quilt is beautiful. Your quilting looks great, too. I have some relatives heading out for Gettysburg this week with tickets for the re-enactment. You finished it just in time!

o

Beautiful Donna! I have all of the block patterns printed but had already bought the pattern and focus fabric for Remembrances so did that one first. I still have a bunch of Civil War reproduction fabric so Nancy Rink's is still on my someday list.

o

It's beautiful. You did a wonderful job on the quilting and the colors and pattern are lovely too. Enjoy using it.

o

Wonderful job Donna! Your piecing is perfect - look at all of those crisp points - and your quilting is really fantastic. I love the natural flow that you have with your FMQ feathers and leaves. Very nice job.

o

Great job! I am making Eleanor Burn's Underground Railroad quilt. I like working with the colors and blocks. I will have to look for Nancy Rink's patterns. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful quilt. Excellent.
Darlene

o

Darlene
Nancy Rink doesn't have this Civil War BOM on her website anymore. I printed them out so let me know if you want a copy. I suspect this would be Ok since it was a free BOM

Maryv

o

Your quilt is beautiful.
I like your quilting too.
It's always nice to finish a project especially a big one.
I keep a quilt diary showing what I accomplish each day and it's always a thrill to write "IT'S FINISHED!!"
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

Mary, Nancy has it for sale on her website now, I think.

Geraldine, I should keep a diary, too! I do have pictures saved in annual folders, and I have a list on my bulletin board, but when I update the list I throw out the old one.

Donna

o

It is gorgeous Donna! I love feathers on a quilt. I saved that BOM too, I really need to go through my folders and organize them. Once I find the folders lol!
Rosa

o

Donna, What a beauty! And your quilting is awesome. I wish you lots of luck in quilting each top as it's finished. *S*

SharonG/FL

o

This is beautiful. even if you never got around to quilting it lovely !!!

o

OH, that is beautiful! Lovely top and great quilting, too. I haven't tried feathers yet, perhaps soon.

beverly

o

Wow! Give yourself an extra pat on the back for the quilting too.
LindaB/CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here