Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Batting question

Posted by lowraine (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 11:04

I am new to quilting and am trying to sandwich my quilt together using poly-fil 80% natural cotton and 20% polyester. The batting came out of the package with creases that are keeping my quilt from laying flat. What should I do to correct this, maybe I should have gotten another type of batting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Batting question

You can try ironing it using a cloth or towel between the batting and the iron, if necessary. I've used Hobb's 80/20, and it works quite well. I think you should be able to work the wrinkles out. Good luck.

o

Or throw it in a dryer with a wet towel.

o

I now have to remove all the pins that are holding the sandwich together but that is part of learning. I think I will first try throwing it into the dryer with a wet towel and follow that with an iron. thanks

o

I second the suggestion to toss it in the dryer.

Another option in the future is to open up the packaged batting days in advance, unfold, and drape it somewhere to relax prior to using it.

I only use th 80/20 batting and love it.

o

I used to open the batting and drape it over the bed for a day or more, but now I unfold it and put it in the dryer on a barely warm fluff for just a few (less than ten) minutes.

Teresa

o

Lowraine, you asked the question, and I learned from all the answers. The dryer sounds like an easy fix.

o

Glad I could be of help, mine goes in the dryer today.

o

I've never tried the dryer method before but now I will.
Good question and good answers!!!

Kate

o

I've also found that after I have the quilt sandwich pinned, that if I let it sit for a couple days, the layers seem to relax together and quilting is easier.
Karlene

o

Glad I could be of help, mine goes in the dryer today.

o

Karlene, that is what I tell myself when I get a quilt ready to be quilted but it gets put aside for a while. I am letting the layers relax. LOL
Theresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here