Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

A day at home!

K8Orlando
10 years ago

Luxury of Luxuries! Workers are at my house today replacing the patio screens that were damaged a few weeks ago in a big storm. At the last minute, DH Jim could not arrange to be home today so here I am, at home with an unplanned day off. You all know exactly what I'm going to do right? Yes! I'm in the sewing room, with the door open so I can hear if a screen guy falls off a ladder, but my indulgence for the day is sewing, sewing, sewing. I have lots of other chores that need doing but I'm not going to waste an unexpected day off on housework. I think I may try those cute fabric postcards...

Kate

Comments (29)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Enjoy ... Enjoy ..., but I'm secretly jealous :-)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

LOL, Kate, enjoy your day! I would do the same thing. :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

That's great, Kate! And yes, don't waste this day on chores that will always be there and have to be done over and over again. Have fun and enjoy!!!

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

No point wasting the day on chores which you weren't going to do during the day anyway. You go! Can't wait to see what you can get accomplished!

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Good for you! I applaud!

• lola99
    10 years ago

Have a great day...but you know we will want pictures!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I have pictures! I've had a great day, all to myself. I made nine 4"x6" postcard; 4 are ready to be mailed to sick or stressed friends who could use a little cheering up and the rest are just lacking the paper backing which I'll print tomorrow when I get more card stock.

Here's the backing I made - or is it the front of the postcard? I'm not sure, but it's the part you write on.

Here are all 9 of the cards I quilted today:

I ended up liking them all but these are a couple favorites.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Your cards are fabulous...they look great...what fun!!! So glad you had the day to yourself ,your creativity and your machine!
    V.
    (I'm still jealous,but happy you got to enjoy the day;-))

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Those are just beautiful!!!
    I think you had a profitable day.
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

Lovely cards!!! I'm glad you had a fun day.
    Linda OH

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Those were worth taking the day off. Love them and great job on the posting part.
    Silly ?....is the postage the same for these fabric cards as with other postal cards??

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

What a fun way to spent unexpected time off work. The cards are lovely.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jayne - i think the postage is a bit more because they have to be handled by hand instead of going thru the postal machines.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Adorable post cards, Kate. You really made good use of your day. Did the screens ever get fixed?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Screens are 1/2 done and they said they would finish tomorrow. Sadly, I can't spare 2 days at home so I'll have a neighbor checking in on the workers.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

The cards are beautiful. Several people are going to feel very special receiving them. You have such a sense of design to be able to just sit down and create all those in one day. How long have you been quilting? I can see myself improving, but I hope someday I can reach your level.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Kate, I'm so proud of you for taking time for yourself in your sewing room. It's a learning experience to put your desires first when it comes to sewing/quilting, especially when you think something else should be done. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I could very well be the queen of that way of thinking. (It's a different story when children are around)

That being said, your cards are fantastic and I like how your quilting accents the fabric. You are so talented and artistic!

SharonG/FL

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Love the postcards! Hmmmmm.....an unexpected day off.....hmmmm......my throat feels a little scratchy today...cough-cough.......must be coming down with something.....cough-cough...

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I recently saw a posting on facebook that said "Men take a day off just for a day off. Women take a day off to catch up on housework." Too true and too sad! This was unusual for me but I think I'm going to try to do this once a quarter: 4 days a year, just for a day dedicated solely to quilting.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Lovely postcards.
    You sound like you had a heavenly day. Good for you.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Cool! I have never made cloth postcards, but yours look cool!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• sunnycentralfl
    10 years ago

Great design work (labor of love) on the cards...great on the decision to do them instead of the housework!
    You are an inspiration!

Hats off to you!
    Gwen

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

ohhhhh THOSE are so cool!!! Hmmm....did you create a tutorial yet??? *giggle*

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth, there are several tutes on youtube! Many use Timtex as a stabilizer but I just used regular batting, then sewed the little quilt onto cardstock. First batch mailed on Friday!

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Wonderful cards Kate!
    Did you design the backs or are they available to be downloaded? I found some in the internet but they are very plain in comparison to yours.
    Maryv

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I couldn't find any backs I liked either so I designed these. I use a Microsoft software called Publisher because it's easy to place graphics where you want them.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

...talk about a very cool use of gorgeous scraps that hurts so bad to throw away!! ....that k8 is so doggone clever!!

• lola99
    10 years ago

Don't know how I missed the pictures in this post earlier - your post cards are fantastic! Have you heard from any of the recipients yet? Did they make it through the mail without damage? What a wonderful day you had...it makes me smile just to think about it.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

These are wonderful!
    LindaB/CA

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors