Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Quilts of Valor - Notice of Request

K8Orlando
11 years ago

I received the following email message from the Quilts of Valor group. They are in need of quilts so if any of you have any red/white/blue fabrics laying around that you don't know what to do with, here's a great opportunity. They are requesting quilts in those colors at this time, but any design will do. Simple and fast works just as well as traditional and detailed. This is about the soldiers and their families, not about the war so it's not a political organization.

If you have questions, you can get all the information you need from their website. www.qovf.org

Kate

Here's the email:

More Wounded Means More QOVs Needed

This is an urgent message to all!

June Moore

Executive Director

QOVF

Afghanistan-NO, the war is not over!

Just a heads up that the fighting in Afghanistan is very fierce right now leading to a substantial increase in the number of wounded. As such, the number of quilts requested by the standing weekly destinations has increased from 65 to 105 EVERY WEEK in just the last month. The increase by 40 quilts a week includes the addition of the ICU unit at Landstahl in Germany (15 quilts a week), the addition of the medical unit at FOB Shank-East in Afghanistan (20 quilts a week) and doubling the number of quilts going to the multinational medical unit at Kandahar Air Field in Afghanistan (to 10 a week). These quilts all go to front line wounded service members. There is no concern about whether they have already received a QOV or not.

Sadly, we will fall far short of meeting this need since the 65 quilts a week wasn't even being fulfilled. These destinations request patriotic/RWB (red/white/blue) only. I'm not asking for a debate here about RWB vs generic/branch specific/feminine. I'm just telling you what the Points of Contact have requested.

If you would like to help meet this need, please request a destination at http://www.qovf.org/req-destination.html.

Comments (16)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Wouldn't it be great if we, as a forum, could complete a few quilts? If I were at home, I'd cut up some strips and make a couple 1600 inch tops and some hearts to scatter across it. It's easy for me to say right now as I'm sitting in an easy chair looking out at sunshine with no machine in sight, but this has struck my heart! I'm not a good quilter, but I can SITD....the only thing I'm anxious about is the label. Anyone here want to make up a few labels???

I tried to post the FAQ link for QOV, but my message was rejected. Let me try it this way:

FAQ

SharonG/FL-IN

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Well, I have fabric on order for backing and sashing for the May lotto blocks, and I will be sending 2 quilts to the foundation. I also have another done but for the binding.

This will make quilts number 28, 29 and 30, in 6 years. Many members here have donated blocks over the years, and I appreciate it so much.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

As a wife of a army vet I'll do what I can to whip out one over the weekend. Open to fast and simple design...any thoughts?
    V.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Red/white/blue rail fence is quick and lovely.

Do check the website - they spell out all the parameters, size and such. They like to have a letter to the recipient, possibly a journal kept, a presentation case (I use a plain pillowcase which I machine embroider).

I quilt my own, but if you make a top, you can contact the organization to find a long-arm quilter to do the quilting. They usually give it back to you to complete the binding.

Honestly, the extras are nice, especially the letter. But most important is doing a quality job on the quilt. These are NOT charity quilts! It's time for your pointiest points and best sewing.

(Sorry - pet hobbyhorse of mine! I did have a very few people send me what were clearly blocks they wouldn't use in their own quilts.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mary! That's a great design and should go together quickly while still making a quality product. There are some contemporary designs, like the column quilts, that could be fast and beautiful too. I haven't had a chance to look through my fabric yet, but I'm working on a couple ideas.

Kate

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I so wish I had the time to dedicate to something like this! I'm with you guys in spirit (while slaving away at work!).

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Work does get in the way, but without the work I couldn't afford all the fabric! It's a vicious circle, isn't it?

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Yeah - that work does get in the way, LOL! I was very lucky to be able to retire early, and I appreciate that every day.

I should have said before that these are 2.5" strips. made into a r/w/b strip set, then cut at 6.5" to make a 6" finished block.

I'm also delighted to still see interest in the Quilts of Valor project. It is near and dear to my heart.

Here is another lay-out of the same rail fence block - also very simple and graphic.

The first again, since I zoned out on how to post photos.

Here is another with just 2 colors - I can see it in red and white with a blue border:

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I have made 2 using their Patriotic Log Cabin pattern. If any one is making one for the first time please check out their instructions - they have specific instructions to make a QOV.

My nephew's unit is on their way home!!!
    Rosa

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Did anyone see "CBS News Sunday Morning" today? They were carrying a wounded soldier on a stretcher - probably being transferred to a different hospital- and he was covered with one of the QOV.

The story was about a lady who basically has given all her savings and has raised money to provide items to soldiers.

If she can do all that, I can make a quilt.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good for you, Dawn! Seeing a quilt in the hands of a wounded soldier makes it so real.

Littlehelen said she finished a QOV top this weekend. I didn't even get mine started but that gives me a project for the 4th of July! I may have to buy some fabric... my stash of reds and blues is low.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Another quick QOV Rail fence - slightly different than Mary's.

Here is a link that might be useful: QOV Rail Fence

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Saw this on FB and traced it to her blog. It's too big for QOV and she doesn't mention it but it sure looks like a nice pattern for one.....and, she gives her how-to!

SharonG/FL-IN (still machineless)

Here is a link that might be useful: r/w/b stashbusting

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are all great patterns. Too bad we don't have our FAQ - we could keep a set of patterns there for quick and easy quilts.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Guess we aren't that important, Kate. @:(

• musicteacher
    11 years ago

Even though I am not really a quilter I got all excited about doing this, and picked a fairly simple pattern and Moda's prairie paisley fabric -soo pretty- and then added it all up - it is going to cost about $100 to make, and may not turn out all that great to boot. Wow, run on sentence. I might be better off just to buy one on Etsy!!!! Is there a cheaper place to find fabric? I really did love the PP though!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!