Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Weekend quilting plans? 6/24-26

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

Do you have quilting plans this weekend? My quilt group is planning a road trip to a newer quilt shop tomorrow (SAT) morning to buy jelly rolls for our workshop in August. I bought one last weekend at the quilt show but want to go along too.

Our quilt group is making pillowcases and buying pillows to send to Joplin, MO. I may work on cases this weekend.

What are you doing?

Linda OH

Comments (24)

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Tonight I am going to finish putting some UFO blocks together and hopefully get the border on. I have to have the quilt finished by July 16th as a prize for our bike club's ride. If I get it done in time I plan on making my July block lotto blocks.

Sat night I'll have one of the grands, and Sun night I'll have the other. We have decided to try keeping them one at the time so they can have some time apart from one another, and we can get some one-on-one time with them. The oldest has taken up sewing, so I may just let him work on some sewing too.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

YES!!!!! I have quilting plans!!!!! I'm praying for an uneventful flight home tonight and will only unpack the essentials so I can get back to my sewing machine and fabric over the week-end! I did my laundry here so that's out of the way.....will be so nice to get my arms around the DH again. I'll be going home to a quilt laid out on my bed (and I know I'll gush over the quilting) that needs the binding put on. There's a simple 9-patch BOW going on that I want to do in pinks and purples so I want to get caught up with that. Then, get out 5 UFO's that have been requested and finish those. This sounds like more of a July to-do list than a week-end plan. You can't tell I'm excited, can you? Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to Florida I go...... @:)

SharonG/FL-IN

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sharon, have a safe trip home!

Last night I started quilting #2 of 4 little quilts for my guild. I should be able to finish quilting it tonight. For the weekend I hope to quilt #3 & 4 and get the bindings on (guild meeting Monday night!). Tomorrow while hubby's at work I'll work on cutting the 12 squillion strips I need for his log cabin quilt.

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

This weekend I might try to make a top out of some poly/cotton I bought in Lancaster. I need something new to wear!

We are getting together on Sunday to exchange our sections for the next round robin project. This is the one I posted here a few weeks back. Everybody had such a time with this one that they needed extra time to finish. Of course, three of us did get ours done on time.....sigh..... We will get a "puzzle piece" for a new project at our brunch this Sunday.

Teresa

• polardream
    12 years ago

We just got back about an hour ago from a trip to southern Colorado/Utah area (Trail of the Ancients). It was a lovely trip - except for the biting midges at Hovenweep National Monument. I am very allergic to bug bites & look like I have some sort of disease from the weepy bites ... ICK! SO, the RV is unloaded but and my sewing machine is calling my name! I have to go to get fabric for a baby quilt (shower is July 10) and work that in betweeen cleaning & washing the RV! Maybe I'll go clean the inside now so I have more time to sew tomorrow!
    Sue

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Well, you all had better weeks than I, LOL.

It's all OK now, but DH came out to my studio early Tuesday morning saying "Something is really wrong with me."

Heck yeah, he was passing blood, and lots of it. TMI, I know.

Emergency room one, nope, gotta transfer to another facility, and then endoscopy and bingo - massive bleeding ulcer. They cauterized it, but by then he'd lost 1/3 of his blood volume. Blood transfusions.

So three days in the hospital, and he's home - and he looks perfectly healthy! I feel like a wreck, LOL. I really was scared almost to death.

I may just sleep the entire weekend.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry, I should have deleted that one before posting. I just needed to vent, and this was not the most appropriate place to do it.

• polardream
    12 years ago

Oh Mary, What a horrible week for you! I hope that you get a chance to rest and recover (while your DH does also!)
    Maybe you will sneak a little quilting in while he is resting ...
    Sue

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary, I'm so sorry that you had such a terrible week. I hope both of you get the needed rest and that your DH has a quick recovery.
    Linda OH

• grammyp
    12 years ago

No problem, Mary. Hope he is doing better and you get to rest this weekend.

I got my top finished and picked out the strips for the binding. Gonna make a scrappy binding and use up some of my bits and pieces.

beverly

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Oh, Mary - I'm sure no one minds you venting! What a scary thing. I'm so glad your hubby is okay now. Try to get some rest!

Donna

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Mary,

What better place than here to vent?? IMHO :) Glad to hear your DH is OK. Once the worst is over, we realize we were pretty much operating only on adrenaline. As a rule, we forget just how much the spouse suffers when the other one is ill or has an accident. That's a lot of stress & worry to deal with.

So definitely rest up this weekend! Take care of ourself - a little pampering may be in order:)

~Cindy

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

I hope to finish binding a baby quilt by tonight so I can give it to the new mom tomorrow at church. Not a big deal, but am spending as much of today as I can on my knees --- on the bathroom floor removing carpet adhesive from 3" hexagon tiles. Who puts carpet in a bathroom!! Yuck! Anyway, DH removed the carpet, now I get to work on the adhesive. The tile is in perfect condition so I hate to replace it.
    You can bet while down there on my knees I'll be praying for quick relief from the drudgery!! lol

~Cindy

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I hope to finish up a quilt that I started using a bunch of novelty fabric squares that someone gave me. I'm off to the beach next week so when I get back I can start something brand new. Yipee.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Mary - what an awful week for you both. It is a good thing you were there. I break down afterwards - I know how terrible you feel. If you are able to sleep - I find that is the best medicine for me. Sleep and sew something easy at first, then make something you really need to focus and think about-to get your mind occupied about something else.
    Listen to me - lol- 3 months after my DH cheated death for the second time, and I still can't sleep thru the night.

Quilting this weekend-I am trying to work on my Veggie Jar Quilt - I have the rows of jars completed, now I need to decide how to make them the same width - they are close - but not the same. I really wanted the top done this week.
    Company tomorrow - I really should clean my house some.

• csackett
    12 years ago

Mary, so sorry about your husband. luckily you caught it in the nick of time. maybe this week will be better for you.

Last night I finish one quilt of valor top and tonight, I'm cutting out another one. My quilt group (Scrappy Ladies) is making quilts of valor this month and next to send off. A good friend has graciously offered to let me borrow her long arm and quilt them.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, thanks, all! I did get out in the studio today and trimmed a bunch of half-square triangles, and was able to make a couple of 16" blocks.

So now, even though it's only 4pm, I have my computer, a glass of wine, and my dinner is all prepared, just need to turn on the oven, and stick it in.

DH insisted on going grocery shopping this morning, by himself - and he did well with that. We only needed 5 or 6 items. But along about 3pm, he decided to stretch out on the sofa - so guess who's sound asleep now! Thank goodness - he needs to be making red blood cells.

I know exactly what you mean MRG - this is not the first time by any means that DH has been near death. It's exhausting, isn't it?

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I hope next week goes better for you, Mary. Fondle your fabric. That always makes me feel better.

With visiting grandchildren, I won't get much sewing in but I did get a trip to a LQS with friends and get fabric to start a new project I've been thinking of. It's washed and sitting here where I can stare at it and when they've gone home, I'm jumping on that one.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went with friends to the LQS today. It is a wonderful shop with room after room of fabrics. After shopping we stopped for lunch and walked through an antique shop. Had lots of fun with friends!
    Linda OH

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I finished machine appliqueing blocks for my sister's baby quilt and then got the top completely sowed together today. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Will spend the next couple of weeks hand quilting it. It is a sailboat baby quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• chickie1
    12 years ago

My weekend starts tomorrow because I work weekends soooo I'm hoping to spend the next couple days working on a new purse and quilting a baby quilt that I started before Christmas. Luckly the mama of the baby understands it takes time and I will get it to her when I get it done. I also would like to work on the quilt I'm making for my daughter. She is getting married in October and I'm making her a blue and white Irish Chain quilt. It's coming together good and can't wait to finish it. My DH is out of town so I should have plenty of time to work. Well see.
    Darlene

• lola99
    12 years ago

Mary,

I'm just reading this post now and I'm so sorry to hear about your week last week. I'm glad DH is recovering, and that you are hopefully getting your rest too.

As far as quilting/sewing goes, on Friday I made a little drawstring bag for my goddaughter with her name appliqued on it. Yesterday I worked on quilting my circle quilt. I think I'll be quilting this forever. I actually modified my quilting pattern because I was getting so tired of it. I'm really ready for this one to be done, and I really want to post a picture and show you all!

Lola

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Glad to hear the hubs is better, Mary! I'm sure that whole ordeal was frightful for both of you.

Our round robin group had brunch yesterday at one member's home and gave our finished puzzle pieces for P's project. It really looks great and she was pleased as punch. This project had a lot of detail in it - old buildings in Paris. The next quilt will involve Euro coins on a carved table - yep, also photographed in Paris! All the members want to go to Paducal in 2012 for the AQS show, so I'm getting started on planning the trip - something I love to do!

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Oh my! I hadn't read these postings until today! Mary, I'm so glad it all turned out OK but know it was a terribly stressful time for you!

Kate