Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanda_va

I Love Column Quilts

wanda_va
11 years ago

I just finished my first column quilt, using the video by Nancy Zieman as a guide. It's for a baby, and it was the easiest quilt I have ever made. The column concept would work for other quilts as well. It was fun to get a quilt made in two short days.

Comments (14)

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I love bright colorful quilts for babies! I think they 'fit' longer than pastels w/baby themes.

You did a nice job! and quick is sometimes just the ticket!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I like it and think it's perfect for a baby or child; what fun to learn colors, playing with the quilt! I like column quilts too and really enjoyed making a mini version of Stepping Stones. I have a couple more planned, including one with batiks.

Rainy day here in Florida - our third rainy day in a row. Oh I wish I were home, making a column quilt.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Love the bright colors! I watched Nancy's show on this technique (linked below). Did you use flannel as a batting, and did you use her technique making it reversible?
    Thanks for sharing this quilt! It is on my ever growing list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Column Quilt video

• wanda_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used a lightweight cotton batting, rather than flannel (mainly because I had a lot of batting "scraps"). It is reversible, as Nancy shows on her video.

I did enlarge it - she calls for strips 2-1/2" and 5". I increased them to 3" and 6", so it made the quilt a little larger.

The first picture is the back...here's the front:

• msmeow
    11 years ago

What a happy quilt! I love the scrappy binding - it's perfect.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Thanks Wanda! I like both sides! Good idea to make the strips larger. You really could do alot with this simple design by selecting different fabric~her queen size in browns is gorgeous, but it must weigh a ton using flannel.

Thanks for the second picture!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Great quilt! Love the binding!!

SharonG/FL-IN

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I saw the show and thought it was a great idea for a fast and easy quilt. YOu did a fantasic job and just the thing for a child. May have to think on this. It would work for the quilt for valor Kate mentioned.TFS

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

What a great job. I love your colors. I think the nicest feature is that you can make it any size, longer columns and more columns for larger beds. It's a versatile, easy pattern.

• day2day
    11 years ago

Great quilt.
    Those happy colors are perfect for a baby.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I agree the bold colors are much better for the kiddies!! I love the binding too - great job!!
    Rosa

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I think your quilt is really wonderful. I love the strong colors and the fact that it's reversible. Your scrappy binding is perfect for the quilt. Great job!!

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I love it. So many possibilities!!!

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

What a great quilt!! Love all the bright colors. It is something the baby can definitely grow up with. I made my daughter a pastel colored quilt a few years ago (my first quilt :-) ) and she told me the other day she wants to paint her room and wants bright colors, especially red. So, I guess the pastel quilt is getting packed away :-(

Robbi

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler