Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Handkerchiefs

Posted by gerizone5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 5:43

Has anyone made a quilt or wall hanging with old handkerchiefs. My cousin asked me to make a wall hanging for her SIL from her mom's old handkerchiefs. I haven't seen them yet but will soon. I was thinking of maybe making yo-yo's out of them and using them as flowers on a backing with appliqued stems and leaves. Any ideas or suggestions or pictures of anything made with handkerchiefs. Not sure I'm spelling it right:) Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Handkerchiefs

What a cute idea, I have a couple that are quite delicate, not sure how they would work up.

Sid

o

I made one and folded the handkies and made butterflies out of them, turned out really pretty.

o

I've made 2 bed quilts with them. I kept them whole and appliqued them to a light, solid color fabric with a small zig-zag stitch using invisible thread. They are delicate, but my mom has one and my aunt has the other and most of their rowdy days are behind them!
Karlene

o

I haven't made one, but have seen several I liked. One used the ones with small corner decorations and cut them to make a dresden plate quilt. One used them for dresses on "umbrella girl" blocks. One used the ones with larger decorations or patterns to make butterfly wings. And the last one folded them sort of fan shape and appliqued them to plain squares. I don't know if I could cut them up if they were really pretty.

beverly

o

Is it possible to see any pictures of your creations. I would especially love to see the butterfly. Thanks.

o

Geri, Here's one I found through Google. Click on the picture of the quilt to make it bigger.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: handkerchief butterfly pattern

o

Wouldn't a grandmother's fan be beautiful using hankies?
Salijo

o

I have a couple of my grammas hankies,but am planning on putting them in a shadow box frame with a few other small pieces of things that belonged to her.Waiting for my sister to send me the other stuff.
Kathi

o

My great aunt Irene started handkerchief blocks...hand stitched them to blocks, sandwitched them together and hand quilted in and around the handkerchief...some have french knots...and embroidered scalloped edges around them. I am trying to finish them and then will decide how to put them together..there are enough blocks for a queen sized bed but would make a nice double as well

o

Geri, I love to google!! Here is another butterfly quilt I found:

handkerchief quilts Pictures, Images and Photos

goldie

o
Angels??

Maybe you like angels?

handkerchief quilts Pictures, Images and Photos

I tried to add this to the first post but no go. Then I had to change the subject line LOL.

goldie

o
Baskets

I have seen one like this - it was lovely:

Photobucket

goldie

o
More Baskets

I like this one even better:

Photobucket

goldie

o

Wow, thank you all. I am leaving for the Vermont Quilt Festival on Thursday. (and very excited about it) Maybe, I'll also see some inspiration there as well. Love the baskets and the angel. I knew I could garner tons of ideas here:)

o

One of our local diners took old handkerchiefs and randomly stitched them onto plain while valances and have them hanging in the diner. It's a very pretty effect.

o

The one that always caught my eye was the girls, with handkerchief's as their skirts. But now that I have seen the butterfly's I believe that is my new favorite!

o

Using this photo as my inspiration, I have all my handkerchiefs on muslin backgrounds awaiting some machine meandering QAYG finishing up. Enjoy:
butterfly vintage handkerchief quilt

o

Dian57, that is beautiful, TFS.

o

I love the butterflies!
Here's one done by a gal in my guild, I'm not sure but she may have designed it. Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: hankie ladies

o

now that (hankie ladies) is hands down my favorite!
Salijo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here