Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

QOTD for June 30th

vicky4x4
12 years ago

If you won a day with any one "quilting icon", who would you choose to spend the day with, why.

I would choose Edyta Sitar from Laundry Basket Quilts. I have emailed her and she just seems so down to earth. I have seen a show with her in it on The Quilt Show also. I think we could hit it off very well, she is a wonderful quilter but she is also a wife and mother and she places them in her priorities. Besides that I would love to touch her beautiful quilts and maybe swap a few HST's with her :-)

Vicky

Comments (10)

• User
    12 years ago

Good question!

My experience with quilting personalities is very limited. I have to choose Bonnie Hunter only because I visit her website and always find something that speaks to me. When I'm looking for inspiration, her site is the first place I go.

And I'm a scrappy sewer at heart.

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Vicky, I would pick Edyta Sitar also. I had the pleasure of taking an all day class with her last year. It was wonderful. She is the sweetest person. We had 20 in the class and she walked around and talked to each person and helped us in some way. In addition to giving advise, she helped me cut apart some of the HST we were exchanging. She brought some of her quilts and we could touch and examine them up close. It was a wonderful day. I hope you get the opportunity to meet her too.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I've never heard of Edyta Sitar...I'll have to check her out online.

Hmmm...who would I pick? I've had classes with Carol Doak and loved her. Also classes with Jan Krentz and loved her, too. I've attended a lecture by Bonnie Hunter and loved it and her website.

Nancy Prince is a member of my guild and I've had a class with her, too...very wonderful, nice lady!

But, if I was able to pick someone to spend a day with, it would have to be Judy Martin! I have 4 of her books and am now working on a third quilt with one of her patterns. I'd just love to spend a day with her!

Donna

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I am not very informed about quilting leaders but do enjoy Georgia Bonestell and Elenor Burns. Both have simple techniques and personalities that seem to work.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

This is a good question! I'm using Edyta's Hop to It book for my hand applique project and could certainly use her help and advice! But I think I would choose Leah Day. I can imagine trying out dozens of free motion quilting patterns with her. It would be such fun!

• maggie200
    12 years ago

My mom if she were still here :(

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

awwwww Maggie~Your Mom lives forever in your heart!! You quilt with her everyday........My Mom was not a sewer, but she encouraged me and shopped for me while I was in school - she was color blind so hated it when I asked her to buy me thread ~lol~ When I began quilting a few years ago, I said how proud she would be of what I am making-she would be so happy for me. I know how you feel.

I've taken some workshops-2 days with Sue Nichols - she was great-great-great! I am like a sponge at these workshops.

I would like to spend a day with Leah Day also. She is young and fresh and full of creativity. I would also like to spend a day with Karen McTavish. She looks so fun and such a free spirit! I watch these ladies on You Tube - so I do get to spend a little time with them :-)

I just have to say - Maggie's answer is the best!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Karen McTavish

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Karen McTavish would be my choice, too. So talented with her longarm.

• salijo
    12 years ago

If we're going with past or present, I would choose Lauren Burch. I'm not much of an animal person; but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her style and use of color.

Salijo

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Leah Day must have read my mind! (or maybe our forum). She just posted on her site that she's thinking about holding classes. I may get my wish!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida