Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timpson_gw

Need Help Figuring out how-to.

timpson
10 years ago

I have a quilt I need to finish and I fell in love with finished edge. There are pics all over the net, but no instructions. I know it's faced strips that are interlaced, etc, but don't know how to begin. Can anyone please assist? I would greatly appreciate this as I have a UFO I'm attempting to finish as a gift for a Marine son. Thanks! and God Bless!

Comments (8)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

That is a very cool edging!! I've never seen it before.

I think what you'd have to do is to work the edging by itself, perhaps weaving and tacking to the ironing board with pins to hold the ends in place while you weave.

Then I think I'd baste all the ends together along the rough edges, maybe even using a scrap strip of fabric to stitch the ends onto for stability. This would keep them in their proper place when you move it to the quilt top/sandwich.

I think then you could manipulate the edging. You'd pin it to your quilt with the weaving towards the inside of the quilt (rough edges lined up), sandwich with your batting & backing, and birth the quilt after stitching it around the edge.

It looks like these in the picture might be 1" finished tubes (cut 1 1/2" strips), but you could do any size. Think how dainty it would look with smaller tubes.

I'd be interested to know how one would deal with turning the corner edge... There might be a lot of strip ends to deal with at the turn.

Good luck! That is definitely a unique edging!

• karpet
    10 years ago

On the net, what is that edging called?

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I took a workshop from Sue Nickels and learned this finishing technique. It is called Loopy Edge. Detailed instructions are in her book - page 43 - "Raw Edge Applique". Strips are cut on the bias. In the pic you posted - these strips appear to be made w/ a different color on the 'back' side vs a tube of just 1 color. In Sue's method of construction, the loops are attached to a strip of fabric that becomes a 2 part binding. Her instructions are very precise and detailed so you can figure out the math and adapt to whatever size you want to make. I highly recommend this book.
    A big Thank you to your Son the Marine!
    Please come back and post your quilt.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Oh, I wanna try that one!

beverly

• timpson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Guys! Found it on Amazon; ordering! God Bless!

• timpson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And a most special thank you to magothyrivergirl for your kind support of my Marine and all your help in locating this info! I appreciate this so much! God Bless You and Yours!

This Forum Rocks! Have never received this quick a response. You guys are awesome! ;-)

This post was edited by timpson on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 12:23

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Very interesting....post the finish piece...love to see the final quilt.

I second Marsha ...... Thank you to your son for his service!

V.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I have never seen that border treatment but I am loving it. May have to look for that book too.

Welcome to the forum! Don't be a stranger and don't hesitate to offer opinions and comments whenever you want. We welcome new participants and would love to hear more stories and see more pictures. As others have said: our thanks to your son.

Kate