Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coalaska

Yay! A finished WISP--pic

coalaska
16 years ago

First, THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. Because of your inspiration and encouragement, I have been more motivated to complete projects. Recently, I made a list of ALL the UFOs I have, projects I want to do, etc. And, I've been checking things off as they are finished! THANK YOU!

This quilt was started in late 2003 for a Christmas present for my niece. I actually gave it to her as a top with a promise to finish it "soon." She's since graduated from HS and just finished her first year at college. About time, Aunt Cheryl.

the quilt:

{{!gwi}}

close up of the fabrics (she picked out)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (34)

• redpenny
    16 years ago

Very pretty love the colors!
    Red

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Red,
    You really DON'T ever sleep, do you?
    :)Cheryl

• redpenny
    16 years ago

No LoL hehehe

• Islay_Corbel
    16 years ago

You'll give her a big surprise! She's probably forgotten all about it. You've made it beautifully!

• laurainsdca
    16 years ago

WOW, that is STUNNING. I love that design -- well done! And that color combo is great too -- That is one WIP worth finishing. Bravo!

• lots2do
    16 years ago

That is really neat. Can you explain how you did the star? The points are so perfect.
    Thanks,
    Kelly - NH

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I love her color choices and your workmanship is beautiful as well.

Your listing all your projects may serve to motivate me to do the same!

Teresa

• nanciii
    16 years ago

Cheryl

She is gonna love it...love those colors.

Nanci

• quiltdiva
    16 years ago

Just gorgeous, Cheryl! I also love the fabric choices. What pattern did you use? It looks difficult.

Kay

• maggie_sue
    16 years ago

That is beatiful, she will be so happy to get that wonderful quilt! The colors are just perfect!

• jennifer_in_va
    16 years ago

That's very nice! I like the color combinations!

• foxxigrani
    16 years ago

Love it and you did a great job. I have many wip also, have two pinned and ready to quilt, have two more to back and pin. You are an inspiration. Way to go.

Rita

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

That is really Beautiful !!
    She is going to love it !!
    betty

• Rene54
    16 years ago

Cheryl, that is so great, I love the design, and the fabrics just pop, your getting motivated! LOL (send some my way) Rene

• csackett
    16 years ago

Very beautiful! It looks difficult. You did a great job.
    Your neice is very lucky to have it.
    Carolyn

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

What a gorgeous quilt--worth waiting for! Your work is just wonderful. I love that pattern, and can't wait to hear about it.

I noticed the music symbols in the border quilting--very nice. Is she into music?

Thanks for sharing.

Guess now I'd better make a list of my unfinished projects...

• mexicomarti
    16 years ago

Wonderful quilt! I love the colors,and the design and your workwomanship is just lovely. Get a load of those points, and CURVED piecing? Oh my...

Marti in Mexico

• amazingcm
    16 years ago

Congrats always good to finish something especially that beautiful. grace

• sue7972
    16 years ago

That looks wonderful!

• sunnycentralfl
    16 years ago

Beautiful quilt! Glad you can cross one off your list!

I'd get writer's cramp if I made a list of the ufo's in my place....

Gwen

• chickadee__3a
    16 years ago

Beautiful things are always worth waiting for. You've encouraged me to get at my many UFO's. Let us know your niece's reaction to her possibly forgotten gift. Great work!
    Carolyn

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

I love the way the 9-patches form the border, and the colors work very well together! For your niece, I think it was worth the wait - beautiful! (I'm a listmaker too. My UFO's are all individually written up on 3-5 index cards, with info about when I started it, something about where I found the pattern, etc. then when the UFO is done, I have info for the label, and then I tear the card up).

• lizzy3_27
    16 years ago

Awesome, I love the colors too.

Liz

• vicky4x4
    16 years ago

That is a work of art. Your niece will love it.

Vicky

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

That is drop-dead gorgeous. What a great color combination your niece chose! I'm another one who would like to know more about the pattern.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

That is a beautiful quilt and pattern. Your niece has a good eye for color.

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments:) you made my morning.

My niece graduated from the same high school I did, and the mascot is a Star (like the Dallas Stars hockey team). That's why we used so many starred fabrics.

Kelly-NH, quiltdiva, biwako: The pattern is from an American Patchwork & Quilting Quilt Sampler magazine from 1996. It's called Karey's Star. The center star has set-in seams, including between the points. Then, the whole circle is appliqued onto a background square (Mexico Marti: curved seams? I don't think I'm up to that yet). From there very straightforward.

wanda_va: my niece plays piano and trumpet, so I wanted to include that a little.

sunnycentralfl: writer's cramp-lol! I used the keyboard to avoid that :)
    scraphappy-I love the idea of tearing up the index cards when done. Real closure.

Off to decide which WISP is next...

Cheryl

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

Thanks for the information. How are the long, thin crescent-shaped things between the star points done?

• coalaska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

biwacko, just applique. I sewed them onto fusible interfacing, right sides together, and turned right side out, then used a straight stitch very close to the edge.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

That is an amazing quilt! Love the design and the colors. Your work is great! and the quilting is very original.
    What a great job!!
    Lynn in PA
    Too bad the pattern's in a magazine...I tried finding it online...no luck.

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

Cheryl - really great quilt!
    Mary

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I understand WIP = work in progress, but what is the "S" in WISP?
    LOL, I googled WISP and got:
    a small tuft or lock; "wisps of hair"
    a small person; "a mere wisp of a girl"
    a small bundle of straw or hay
    a flock of snipe

and I'm sure your quilt is none of those!

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

Work in Slow Progress.

• noocha
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! Now if you'd told me you were making a quilt using those colors, I would have probably said Huh? But they are really great together. Congratulations on finishing that baby.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?