Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? May 16-18

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

A friend and I have started our own BOM but it is turning into a block of the day. Today we made 3 blocks! lol She makes a block, sends me the picture.. I make mine, send her a picture and then she sends me the next block pattern. We were going to do it once a week but just kept making them today. We will see how that goes in the next few days.
My fabric that I ordered arrived today. Now I can start working on the Night Sky / Lily Pads quilt. I also started working on a couple Very Hungry Caterpillar quilts. I bought the panels and coordinating fabrics several years ago. I want to make one of them for my grand daughter.
These projects should keep me busy for a few days!
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (22)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I finished the binding on the wedding quilt yesterday all 450 inches. We have a new dishwasher coming today so probably no quilting while I watch DH do his manly stuff and connect it. Or should I escape to the sewing area to avoid watching? That sounds like a better plan.
    Still a few UFOs to finish up.
    And I have to find a painter. Our children are planning an Open House in July for our 60th anniversary and I would like things to be freshened up. The two I have already called are not available so the hunt is on.
    I will take a picture of ThE quilt as soon as I find a place big enough to lay it out. The LAQ did a super job.
    This is our Victoria Day weekend in Canada and usually the time to get plants in the ground. First, I have to get them. A trip to a nursery is in the plans too.
    Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
    Theresa
    My, I was long winded today!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Nannykins, I hope you sewed all that binding before you figured out how many inches it is! LOL I know what you mean about the manly DIY projects. I like to do that stuff too, so often he and I do projects together. But there are some where it's just better to quietly disappear unless they need you to help. :)

This weekend I'm working on my Contrary Wife lap quilt. I think it will end up going to my guild. Our annual challenge will be the same as last year - quilts and books for kids.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Not sure what I'll be doing this week-end as far as sewing goes. Tomorrow the family is getting together at a restaurant for grandson's 16th birthday and granddaughter's bridal shower is Sunday at the Plantation. I have one quilt sandwiched and ready to quilt and 2 more I'd like to have done by next month. I'm still undecided about going back home with DD to Indiana after the wedding......would be an ideal way to get there though.........sigh. My brother is planning a big family party in August, so if I stayed that long, I would get to see a lot of the family and wouldn't have to travel around......guess I'll let it ride and see what happens. :-)

SharonG/FL

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Not quilting, but sewing... I bought a pattern on Etsy and am trying to put it together... having a bit of trouble getting it perfect, but if and when I finish, it should be pretty cute... I'm switching to a fabric that isn't as thick and going to switch to the vintage straight stitch machine and see if the skinnier presser foot helps me navigate all those tight areas... If you look at the picture below, that's what I'm working on... I have everything done except the machine body itself... I have to do a front and back of the machine body and then sew them each to a connecting band of fabric and bending the band around such a weird shape is just giving me fits... I've made 4 already and they all look terrible, but I'll keep practicing until I get it right... something to work on and hone my skills with, I reckon...

Of course as soon as I got the pattern laid out to read over and cut it, the cat had to jump right on top... I guess that's better than when he runs through unsewn quilt blocks :o)

I went to my first "Bernina" sit and sew on Wednesday (it was at the Bernina dealer)... It was ok, but not nearly as fun as the one that I usually go to that is hosted at someone's home... One lady was a rebel and brought a Kenmore instead of a Bernina, another bought her first Bernina during the sit and sew so everyone got as excited as if someone were buying a new car :o)

Hope everyone has a fun weekend :o)

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I plan to get my challenge quilt top done and get it ready for quilting. I have a big quilt that I need to get borders on and get loaded on the frame. I guess I will just play it by ear. My husband is tearing out the wall in the laundry room to put up new sheetrock. From the sound of things in there, I do not want to be anywhere near. I think he is to the point of making up 4 letter words now. LOL He finally gets to go back to work Sunday night. He has been off over 2 months from spinal fusion surgery. I will be glad to get my evenings alone back. :)

jackie

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Ooh, Jackie, I hope he doesn't hurt his back doing home improvement work!

Bobby, I love your helper! They sure are good at getting you to pay attention to them, aren't they?

Donna

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I have been doing a serious toy purge in my son's room to collect like new toys for our church's December toy drive. Lately I have been hand-quilting my parents' Card Tricks quilt, ... have completed 19 blocks so far out of 100. So my goal this weekend is to at least finish block #20 so that way will have fully hand-quilted 2 rows out of 10 on their quilt, so making progress. I am on my last load of laundry for the week - yay for that. And my kiddo has only 4 days left at school this year; after this only 1 year left of elementary school and then he will be off to jr. high, the years have flown by! Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• polardream
    9 years ago

Sadly, no quilting for me. I just got back from the doctor and have tendinitis in my right hand/wrist. Keep it wrapped, iced, and rested. I need to clean my sewing room since we are leaving for Europe in 10 days and my MIL uses this room while she is here. She & Mom are house/dog sitting for us for 3 weeks. SO, it looks like I won't be doing any sewing until AFTER June 17! Yikes.

Sue

• nannykins
    9 years ago

That would be serious withdrawal pains, Sue.
    But do rest the hand,wrist.
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Theresa, I learned years ago, don't hang around and watch when DH is doing something "manly". Just don't. They don't like it when something goes wrong, they are mad and cussing and throwing things and don't want an audience, especially a woman, watching it happen. It ruins their image of infallibility.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Rita, I did not watch. I went grocery shopping and did some reading in my room. The dishwasher is connected, but it took a looong time and there were a few words muttered under his breath.
    I was thinking that we women,especially here on the forum, have no trouble asking for help on a project, but a lot of men just can't seem to do it. Wouldn't it make things so much easier for them if they could? The mysteries of maleness!
    So,today I will wash the kitchen floor and then go and stroke some fabric.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Theresa, I've heard many times that women work in groups, ask for help/advice, etc. and men want to do it all themselves. Just wired differently, I guess! Glad the dishwasher is done. :)

Sue, take care of your wrist! You don't want to be dealing with pain on your trip. I've been wearing a brace-type thing for a month on my right hand to try to cure trigger thumb. Had my follow up on Thurs and told him it wasn't really any better, so I got a cortisone shot in the thumb. That was pretty awful! But today it's feeling a lot better. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to normal hand movement.

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

It's finally a beautiful sunny weekend, and I have to get some yard work done. I also have to put a new battery in my boat and figure out how to stop a slow leak in one of the through-the-hull fittings while the boat is in the water. There must be some marine product that will do that. Pulling the boat back out is too big a deal to think about right now. Our first race was last Thursday evening and it was 46 degrees. Yikes, it was cold, but we took second place.

I spent hours last night setting up automatic payments of six monthly bills. I wish I could have designed some of the websites I had to use. Talk about "user un-friendly"!

The only quilty thing on my list at this point is to try out my new table. My office/sewing room is only 9'x11', and it's filled with a bookcase, file cabinet, corner desk/cutting table and a 17"x45" sewing table customized for my Janome. I bought a 3'x6' folding table that I am going to try to position between the wall and my sewing table to hold the weight of the quilt while I'm FMQ. It will have to be removed and folded up when not in use, or I won't even have enough floor room to set up my ironing board. I think it might work well though. I'll report back.

I just looked at the weather, and it appears that Monday will be rainy, so maybe I'll get some quilting done then. I have a friend who will be heading into her second bout with stage 4 ovarian cancer, and I'd like to get a quilt done for her. She's so brave.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Lois

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

I have a broken dishwasher, too. For now, I've become the dishwasher :-( I will be the one that has to install it when we do get the new one.

I got the first part of my quilt challenge done last night. It's time for some hand work before I can quilt it.

And I got my son's quilt sandwiched! Now to quilt the monster. Thanks for everyone's help on what to do with some of the squares. It didn't seem that big when I was making the squares.

Robbi

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Last night I made one block on the fan quilt, just to try it out. It will have to be squared up, so I need to figure out why it wobbled. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon sewing together pairs of fan blades.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

The weekend is over and no sewing for me...but I did spend today in a quilty type class. I went to an art class at the Smithsonian Institution today, the name of the class is Pen and Ink Quilt appliqué...learned a technique to draw botanicals on fabric. I learned the technique, but it will take quite a few trials before I master pen and ink....fun day...but I'm tuckered out.
    V.

• calliope
    9 years ago

You guys had some very busy/interesting weekends! Bobby, thanks for providing us with our kitty pin-up picture this week. My kitty holds down patterns, rulers, and quilt blocks as well, but this weekend we had family in from out of town and he and I took a vacation from and so he held down their bed linens instead ;-)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

LOL, Calliope! Love the cat story.

Our cat George came in yesterday while I was sewing and climbed on my shoulders and started pulling my hair! What a doofus!

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Donna, is your cat a big orange fellow? Just asking because we once had a cat named George, who fit that description.
    I just came back from Sarnia (across from Port Huron, Mi. )DD#2 who retired from her job in Calgary is moving back to this area, so I drove her up there so she can get moving on her house build.
    So no quilting, but we did talk about it. And we will be making two twins for the spare bedroom, once she gets sorted out.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Theresa, our previous male cat Max was a big orange fellow. I think for a while he weighed around 16 pounds! George is gray and black striped. We think he's part Abyssinian since he's long and tall.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Looks like a cuddler!
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

No quilting for me. We were out of town, visiting relatives in Kentucky. I did get to look at some quilts and talk about quilting though, so it's almost like I spent some time sewing. I even met a quilter I invited to check out our forum!