Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? May 30- June 1

lindaoh_gw
9 years ago

We have a graduation party to attend on Saturday. My youngest niece is graduating from high school.
I hope to do some sewing and quilting this weekend. I started a Hunter's Star quilt on Wed. and want to finish the top this week.
Last weekend we were in Columbus with our entire family. We all went to the zoo and then out to lunch at Red Robin. We had so much fun with the grandbabies.
Are you sewing or quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (16)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I've got the contrary wife quilt about half quilted, so I plan to finish it this weekend. I haven't been in the mood to quilt. :( I may have to make myself do it, because I don't want to start into anything else until it's off the frame. (The cats seem to think a quilt on the frame is a kitty hammock, and it's hard to get the quilt tension fixed after its had 12 pounds - or more - of cat lying on it!)

I've been asked to make a valance for an elderly friend who just moved into assisted living, so if I can get motivated on the quilt I may start working on that this weekend, too.

Tomorrow we are attending the ground-breaking for our church's new Habitat for Humanity house (8 am!). Sunday I am playing bells in 3 worship services, then we are planning to attend a handbell concert in the evening, so I don't have a huge amount of sewing time.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Well we had an adventurous week, but not the kind of RV adventure I like to have. It rained most days while we were at the RV Resort and then the last night we stayed we had tornado watches, violent wind, and heavy, heavy rain. Inside the RV Resort RV sites were not flooded, but the entrance road in to the RV Resort was flooded and then the highway we had to travel to get to the ramp to get on the interstate was flooded from overnight flash flooding, ... we drove through close to 12" of water to get to the interstate, that was a little scary, LOL especially when I hear my husband tell his older sister who was riding up front beside him that when we were under the overpass at the redlight waiting to turn left to get on the ramp reach the interstate, hubby says he was not sure where the road was due to flood waters. And then in all that heavy rain before we left the RV Resort we discovered we have a leak in the overhead cab exterior (thinking this is outside lights that just were not sealed well) of our new motor-home so we were only an hour from the RV dealership so we loaded in the rain all we could into our small suv and left the motor-home at the dealership to be maintenanced. So hopefully in a few weeks our RV will be fixed and we can have better trips later this summer. So am glad to be home. I used some of my kitted up granny square blocks for a baby quilt that I am making so now I need to cut out more fabric to replace those 12 blocks so I will have the total amount of blocks I need to make a queen-size granny square quilt, which I want to go on our RV, ... so that's what I am working on this weekend.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, May 30, 14 at 13:37

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Wow, Sandra, that was quite a week!

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

They even showed the flooding in south Louisiana in a town very near to where we were RVing on the Weather Channel just now. I am glad we left Wednesday mid-day before the 2nd batch of additional flooding rain came in. I am so glad we are back home right now.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Glad you were able to get out of the RV park and back home safely, Sandra. We just never know, on any given day, what's in our future.

I feel a bit at a standstill as far as quilting. Am actually thinking about getting something together to take north with me. Maybe the Growing Up Odd Quilt, since I already have a bunch of squares. Have been looking at the Swoon Block, too. :-)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Up Odd Quilt

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

Sandra, I used to have those sorts of adventures all the time. I honestly don't miss them. They do make memorable trips.

I'm quilting on the Feathered Star quilt. Once I got going on it, its seems a little easier to figure out where to quilt and what it needs. I'm not going to do a whole lot, so I'm about 2/3 of the way done. I have a gluten free fair to attend with a friend tomorrow, so probably no quilting until maybe Sunday.

Robbi

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Sandra, I bet home feels perfect after you RV adventure! Nice to know you are all safe.

Sharon, The swoon block is fun to do...I've made about 7 of them and like each and everyone, but I wasn't thrilled with a few of my fabric choices, so when I placed them on my design wall...I was not pleased. At 24" each, my blocks sit nicely folded until inspiration hits on assembly, if ever :-) ?

My weekend is looking busy, so there may be little free time to play in my room. I do hope to draw the May lotto winner over the weekend.... woohoo. Stay tuned ladies!

V.

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

Glad you made it home safely, Sandra... adventures like that make good stories to chuckle about in the distant future...

I've been working on my puff quilt all week (thanks Calliope for inspiring me to continue last weekend!)... I even brought my machine to my overnight job and sewed in the break room! I will work on it more on Sunday unless I'm out looking at cars... my transmission is about to die (after just getting the a/c fixed 2 days ago... argh!) and I'm trying to decide whether to look at another car or fix this one... so I need to start shopping around. I told my Bernina that I might have to sell her if I have to buy a new transmission... she's sucked in her gut and is standing at attention, trying not to breathe too loudly or be noticed at all... and she certainly isn't skipping stitches or giving any error messages, she's too nervous to misbehave... I looked at her earlier and she was sitting in a puddle of freshly excreted sewing machine oil, feed dogs chattering away with anxiety... Poor girl...

OK, seriously, though, I did sew today... I made one of those fabric tubes to put plastic shopping bags in as I was sick of them always being all over the place.. it was fun to sew something I could actually use!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

• calliope
    9 years ago

I've been trying to get into the sewing room for a serious session, but this last week was spent with getting the garden in, or in the company of g'children....both of which take priority. Bobby, you cracked me up talking about Bernina. It's fun knowing you have cyber friends working on the same project that you are because yeah, you sort of keep the other one grounded in their quilt in progress. I found that out when I did the New Year's Day mystery quilt with several of the gals here. Today............well............I just may get some knotting done on the puff quilt. I'd like to get to the half-way point anyway.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

No sewing! Drat!
    Waiting for a painter, working in the garden trying to get the last plants in, and company coming this afternoon.
    Waaahhhh!
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Thanks Sharon. Robbi it's my hubby who loves to travel and go RVing more so than me. I am quite happy at home. Littlehelen home does feel wonderful after our adventure. Thanks Bobby, I keep a journal when we go on RV trips, maybe many, many years from now when my son is grown (he's still in elementary school right now) "future" grandkids will get a kick out of reading about our trips. I need to trace fabric for 48 more squares and then will cut out all the fabric for 12 8" granny square quilt blocks. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend, we are still getting rain here, it's been a very wet year so far in Louisiana.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I had borrowed 12 kitted up granny square blocks from my queen-size RV quilt project, to use in a baby quilt I am making my cousin's wife who is due in September. So today I finally got 12 more blocks cut out and kitted up to replace the ones I borrowed for the baby quilt - so yay! if my count is right then I have all the blocks kitted up that I need to my my queen-size Granny Square Quilt for my RV. It's been a while since I cut fabric, so was a nice break from my other projects that are on-going right now.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jackier123
    9 years ago

I am trying to quilt this weekend. Would be a whole lot easier if my husband would leave me alone. LOL First it was 'I need you to go with me to test the boat, it won't take but about an hour.' Well 4 hours later we were back home. Then it was 'I need you to help me check the level on the gravel.' We are building a screened patio on the back of the house and he has been working getting the area dug out and a gravel base down for the concrete to be poured onto. I am finally back in from that and have cooked dinner, so maybe I can get some sewing done! I have a quilt on the frame and my challenge quilt ready to quilt on my DSM so hopefully I will make some progress.

Jackie

• vacuumfreak
    9 years ago

I worked on some puff quilt squares last night while waiting to get sleepy... I used the vintage machine and put the most recent episode of Quilt Cam on in the background... it was a great combo :o) About to do more now, can't think of a better way to unwind after work :o) I need at least 192 more squares to make it cover my bed, so I've got a lot of work to do, but I'm sewing down my stash, so it's all good... the hum of the vintage machine is so soothing and since I'm chain piecing to construct the squares, I'm not missing the thread cutters and knee lifters of the modern machines one bit...

Jackie, I've seen a technique on TV somewhere if someone keeps asking you to do stuff and you do it badly, they stop asking... are you that devious? It's usually husbands trying to get out of housework :o)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Lots of errands this weekend and a busy week ahead with a few days of business travel included, so not much time for the sewing room. But I did try to carve out a couple hours this morning to work on upcoming lotto blocks. Wouldn't you know, after cutting out fabric for 3 blocks and really scrimping to use up bits of my stash, I discovered that I cut some of the pieces much too small for all three blocks! I DO know the difference between a 4" block and a 3" one... usually.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

V, I finished the Swoon Block but made it smaller so it ended up at 16" instead of 24. I do like it but think I should print out the pattern instead of winging it next time. :-) Or, maybe it was because of the smaller pieces.....couldn't have been because of my eyes. :-(

Kate, I feel your pain.

SharonG/FL