Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? May 4-6

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I'm starting this thread early because I am going to be busy starting Friday morning. Two of my friends and I are going to the LQS Friday. On Saturday we are going to a quilt show and on Sunday I am going to see my DD in Columbus.

Today author Marie Bostwick did a presentation at the LQS about 15 minutes from my house. She is doing a book tour for her new book, "Ties That Bind".

Linda OH

Comments (25)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Is this week over already? I need to get a move on! Not sure what I'll be doing this week-end in the sewing area. We do have tickets to see DGD in Zanadu (ck my FB page) tomorrow night and Saturday night if DH is feeling up to it.

SharonG/FL

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I did a lot of fabric fondling this week as I am organizing my cupboard! Today I went to a Quilt Show in a town about 40 minutes SE of here. I am going to try to get to another one, about 35 minutes NW of here tomorrow and then there is a 3rd one about 45 minutes SW that I will try to get to on Saturday. I have to get a tablerunner made for a fundraiser and always have things to work on. The gardens are also calling and it is supposed to be nice for outdoor work this weekend.
    Oh, what to do, what to do!!

Mary

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I am chauvering DD to girl scout stuff on Sat. Meeting first, then afternoon camp in Charlottesville. While she's busy in the afternoon though, I'm going to find quilt shops in town and do some uninterrupted browsing ALONE!!!!

Sun. DH is busy so I'll have the kids. I MUST get my challenge quilt finished! It's the one thing on my to-do list this weekend.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Well, we were supposed to go to Silver Springs tomorrow for our anniversary, but now DH has to work at his sucky job b/c somebody can't come in. grrrrr (It will be over soon, thank God!) So, I guess I get to sew tomorrow.

We're going to skip church and go to Silver Springs on Sunday (which is our actual anniversary).

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

If I get to do any sewing this weekend it will have to be tonight (Friday). I think the rest of the weekend will be too busy!

Kate

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I'm finishing up the quilting on my red/white. I also have to finishing pulling weeds around a baby tree so I can mulch it.

It is already 90 with 60% humidity so I'm getting lazy.

Donna I love Silver Springs! I remember the glass bottom boats from my childhood and my grands love them too. Beautiful area!! The part where Tarzan was filmed looked so much larger in the pics lol!!!!
    Rosa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Rosa, it's at least 90 degrees here, too...not sure about the humidity. It's dry, dry, dry. We sure need rain!

• polardream
    11 years ago

I am trying to get a retirement quilt finished, but I am redoing a 100sq. ft. garden so not sure how all of it is going to fit in! I am getting rid of the vegetable space and changing it to flowers since the vegetables NEVER grow! We are supposed to roto-till tomorrow and pick up a yard of dirt. I would love to get a large landscape rock, but this is in my back yard and not sure how much weight my DH wants to wrestle/wheelbarrow from the front of the house to the back. I will be adding lots of perrinenials and hope to attract more hummingbirds and butterflies. Sewing will be easy compared to this - hopefully I can fit some in!
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Sue, A long time ago, my friend's family got her a big rock for her birthday. They had a truck bring it in and where it plopped in the front yard is where it stayed. LOL She loved it.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Started a Double Four patch yesterday for a baby quilt. Going along oh so nicely!!
    Rats!! I must learn to pay attention to the instructions. About 8 of the 15 blocks finished so far are in the wrong orientation.
    Ripit Ripit Ripit!
    Theresa

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Some of you might remember that I had an idea for a new twist on twister quilts (yep, there's a thread). I alternated 10" blocks of stripes with 10" solid blocks to make this...

Tonight I got my twister on and finished up with this...

Hopefully I'll be doing more quilting as the weekend goes on. My two days off are Sunday and Monday, and I'm hoping to get some yardwork done. My raised beds and perennial mound need some attention...lol!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

That is very attractive!
    Theresa

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I just finished about 4 hours of gardening in 50 degrees and right before I quit the fog starting rolling in...no kidding. We hardly ever get fog. I thought I was in England and starting craving tea and crumpets, but am settled for pizza. Yum. No sewing, but I an going out of town and will hit a nice quit shop!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'd love to be quilting, but I'm helping a friend make curtains, hopefully this project will be wrapped up Saturday. Then Sunday will be devoted to gardening...unless of course it rains...then oh boy...into the sewing room I will go!
    V.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Things are getting pretty soggy here in our neck of the woods, so I suspect that I won't be gardening, although I have the corn left to plant and a few other hot weather crops. I also had an interesting and clutzy week. I ripped my nail off the right big toe last Sunday. It was sticking up like an open car bonnet. Had to go get it yanked and relegated to some time in flip flops and I'm not used to wearing non-protective foot gear. Five days of flip flops and I stubbed my left big toe and ripped the nail loose clean down to the nail bed on it as well. I may not be gardening for awhile unless I can find some way to keep the toes from being bathed in soil. So, yeah........perhaps I can get some quilting done. Nothing new, just lots and lots of hand quilting to finish up my sun and stars quilt.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I started the binding on my stack and whack baby quilt last night and got one long side hand stitched. I hope to have it ready to give to my work colleague for his soon-to-be-born first grandchild by Monday. I would also like to bind the Cabin in the Woods quilt soon too.

I found the perfect batik backing/binding for the table runner I'm making. I need to practice my FM quilting before I start on that though.

It may rain again tomorrow, and that would be the fifth Saturday in a row. My gardens look good, but the screen porch furniture needs oiling and my pond needs to be cleaned and filled. And then, there's the sailboat sitting in my driveway that needs power washing and buffing. If it rains, I'll be quilting. If not, it's outdoor chores.

• User
    11 years ago

Yup. Lots to work on - everyday. Feels great to be in my fabric stash again. My crayons! Just love it, love it, love it.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Dan your twister quilt looks cool, but it also looks complicated to me. I am cutting out fabric for my Lotto blocks today. Also this weekend I plan to cut out some cloth bookmarks that hopefully will get laminated before Mother's Day. Beautiful weather here. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Sandra, look up the twister quilt tutorial on youtube. It looks complicated, but it's actually one of the easiest quilts you'll ever make.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!
    Dan

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Donna, I grew up in Ocala, so I'm very familiar with Silver Springs... I hope you all have a great time!

Calliope, goodness gracious! I've done things like that before... I don't think that a sewing machine pedal would hurt your toe too badly.... sounds like a good excuse to get a machine with a stop/start button if you don't have one already. I've cut my nails too close before (finger nails) and even something as simple as typing is unbearable, so I can't imagine how you must be feeling with both toes having boo boos!

I'm off tomorrow, but I'm not going to plan to quilt. Every time I plan it, I don't do it. If it happens, it happens, but I'm not going to plan it. I did a little sewing a few nights ago, but by the time I laid all the pieces out again and got them organized, it took an hour and I was exhausted so I only got 3 blocks done before I'd had enough. I still need to get to Joanns and get border, backing, and batting for the quilt I'm working on and return that stupid simplicity rotary cutter before the receipt expires....

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Calliope, OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! I cannot even imagine!! Hope they heal quickly!

No sewing yesterday....slept most of the day since DH is passing his sore throat and body aches around. Didn't even get to see the last night of DGD's star performance in Xanadu! @:( Good thing I went Friday night. Hope to be able to sit at the machine today and make a few more 9-patches. Have been playing with making a positive and negative at the same time technique (need to find a name for that) using mostly neutrals and white.

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    11 years ago

My guild's quilt show is this weekend so no time to sew. I spent four hours Friday afternoon hanging quilts and will spend a couple hours today taking them down. The take down is much faster.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Sounds like summer is really here in the South. Calliope, I agree this is a real excuse to keep your poor toes inside where it's nice and clean and dry (under the sewing machine.) Oweee! Went to the blueberry festival here yesterday, first year they've done it. I hope it proved successful, I was very pleased at the crowd. But there is one thing that I am so aggravated about: the u-pick farms have jacked up the price per pound this year (coincidence?) so high that it's the first year I haven't went out and picked for freezing and jam-making. I'm hoping that after this weekend they will bring the prices back down. We have 4 bushes but that's not enough to do much with. My butterfly garden is growing leaps and bounds, the perrenials are way up and blooming, but the seeds haven't caught up yet. I hand-water them but nothing is like a good soaking rain, which we need here so badly. Doesn't seem to hurt the weeds, though. We've been seeing the snakes a lot in the last couple of weeks, hope they don't eat all the little Carolina Wren chicks that are nesting in the watering can we have hanging on a trellis right in front of the porch. That happened last year just before fledging, wiped out every one of them. Needless to say, haven't done any sewing for awhile, still need to track down some more flannel for the backing which I misjudged on my stash. I was hoping for an all-stash quilt and still could if I use odd colors on the back, hey, maybe I'll just go ahead and do it, I think the quilt police are on vacation this week.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Did you all get anything accomolished this weekend? Donna, how was Silver Springs?

I did a bit of piecing, maybe 45 minutes..... had a lot of trouble matching seams. Learned that it's probably not a good idea to have a glass of coke and rum and then sit at the sewing machine! I knocked the iron over and burned the back of my fingers a little bit and quit after that.

I'm going to Amazon to order a quarter inch foot for my machine with a guide to see if that improves my seam matching.... they look straight to the naked eye but the intersections just don't match... we'll see if this helps!

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I had a good weekend, but didn't get nearly as much done as I needed to! And we have 2 playoff hockey games to watch in the evenings this week, so it's going to be tough to get more sewing on my challenge this week. But I'll do my best.