Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

QotD - 5/17/12 - Etsy

K8Orlando
11 years ago

My question today is for those who sell their products on Etsy.com.

How many products do you list at a time? Do you need a fairly large inventory? How quickly do items sell? How did you learn to price your work? Are the Etsy tutorials worthwhile? How did you get the word out to people that you have things listed there? What else would you like to tell us about the experience?

OK, that was more like an interrogation than a 'question', but I'm very curious!

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (20)

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I was asking myself the same kind of questions just the other day. I took some time and looked around in that site. I was wondering if you have to state how many items you have ready in stock or if you have to guarantee fulfillment on all orders? I mean, what if there was a miraculous mega-run on your item and you only have 10 to sell??? I would love to make millions (LOL) on my hobby but if I had to work 24-7 to do it I have a feeling it would be a short-lived prospect.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita, I think it's primarily set up to sell items one at a time so once it's sold, it's gone. But I've also seen some listings that say the item will be made as it's ordered so allow 3 weeks for construction and delivery. I think how you word your ad is critical and must be well thought out. I've looked around the site quite a bit but haven't really studied it yet. I'm hoping to find time to do that this weekend. (I was going to do it earlier this week but made the mistake of visiting ancestry.com first and ended up spending hours there! I am such an internet junky!!!)

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I have watched Etsy amd read posts about it for about a year now.

Posting something new seems to keep your work from being buried. Also, friending others so your page can be linked to theirs. And all of the positive feedback helps!

It is amazing how expensive some of the very cheap stuff is!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Seems like Teresa has or had an Etsy store.....but, I could be wrong.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Caroline1947 sells there too. I haven't seen her posting much lately...hope she's ok. She's probably just too busy sewing!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I have had my shop on Etsy for several years. My very first listing sold overnight! Ka-ching! Loved getting that email that I had the money in my account! Also, that customer had me finish a UFO quilt she wanted to make for her mother, but new (first) baby took up her time.

Last year I sold 3 of my ring bearer pillows but now I don't have any new ones made. :(

Usually I don't have that many items in my shop - working full time has that effect on your hobbies....

What I love about Etsy:

~ low charge to list items

~ reasonable percentage to Etsy and PayPal when an item sells

~ you can forget about your shop if you need to - which I do (see reference to full time job above), just checking from time to time for convos and expired listings

~ you can keep as much or as little inventory on hand as suits you

~ easy to buy from other shops! Lately I've been getting some Corning Ware and a darling vintage teapot. I try as much as possible to purchase from Etsy shop owners rather than ebay or the like. I like to feel that I am supporting other Etsy members.

When deciding how to price my quilts, I looked at other online sites for "handmade/home machine-made" quilts. What I found was simple block-to-block quilts (no pieced blocks) being sold for $50-85 dollars. Now, my quilts are a little more involved than that, so I charged more. My mostly scrap quilts are one price and those quilts that have applique, embroidery, or hand quilting are more. I don't offer to make or sell large quilts. I do offer to make custom quilts, wall hangings, table runners, etc. I don't mark my quilts down to "SALE" prices. I'll give them away as gifts before I sell them cheaply. I do try to price my items to sell rather than just slapping a huge price on them.

My best year was my first year and I made just over $800 that year. When I have more time to sew, I'll have more items in my shop. I live in a brick bungalow built in 1910 and I stitch.....hence, BungalowStitches.

If you have other question, please feel free to post them.

Here is a link that might be useful: my shop, bungalowstitches

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Personal View:

I decided early on that I would not get worried/upset/discouraged etc. if my quilts and other items did not sell. I've put them out there in the universe that is the web and if they sell, great. If I sell enough to pay for my fabric stash or quilting trips and retreats, then, great. If they don't sell, they are only taking up a little space in a closet in my house and I can always gift them or donate to my quilt guild show auction.

You might want to pick a niche for yourself - think about it.

I have never had a problem with shipping USPS, but I always insure items over $100. I don't take personal checks or money orders anymore and I always ship right away as soon as the money is in my PayPal account.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Teresa, thank you for the comments and insight! VERY helpful!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Teresa, Your Bubble quilt has been on my 'really want to do' list since you posted a picture of it! It just looks 'happy' to me. @:)

SharonG/FL

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

What a timely question! I just opened an Etsy shop about 10 days ago. Right now I have 10 items listed. I need a bit more time to tell you if it works well or not! I'm still learning the ins and outs. LOL
    Jeanne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Jeanne, We need a link, please. Thanks. @:)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I opened my Etsy shop today!
    K8FabricArts

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting, Kate. Your store looks very nice and I think you did a good job of describing your items. I have you bookmarked as well as Teresa's.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I've never been to Etsy till today. I was wondering if you have copyright issues? Do you have to get permission from the pattern designer to sell things?

Donna

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Many designers put a statement on the pattern or on their website letting you know if its OK to make items and sell them. If it doesn't say, I would ask!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Kate~your Etsy store is great. The purses show well.

I've always admired Teresa's work and her experience selling on Etsy.

Other designers prohibit "showing" a quilt without written permission. There was a big hoopla regarding copyright law (interpretations) and Quilting Mags regarding the use of the patterns featured in the magazines - what we could and could not do with the patterns as a subscriber.

At least one designer allows you to pay a premium price (very affordable) for the pattern rights to sell the purses for profit that she has designed.

Copyright laws are complicated and I don't pretend to understand what you can and cannot do. I once had a client who was a Copyright and Patent Attorney Group - they specialized in Litigation. That's all they did! Some of their stories were very interesting!

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

Just started reading a book on my Kindle about selling on Etsy. Great information and the book is laid out in a way that explains in great detail the ins and outs of setting up shop in Etsy. From naming your store to pricing. Sorry, but can't think of the name of the book right now but it is by (something) Weber last name. Do an amazon search for "selling on Etsy" and it should pop up.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Heading to the beach with grand daughter today.
    Oh I do not have an Etsy shop although I have thought about it, although after reading this book, I may.

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I will be sure to visit the shops some of you listed. I'm sorry, I don't know how to make a link, but the name of my shop is TheSandlapperShop so you can find it by doing a shop search on Etsy.
    Good luck to everyone with their sales. I sold my first item over the weekend!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Here you go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandlapper Shop

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi K8,

Thanks much for starting this thread. Your comments & those of Theresa are very helpful. Am debating starting an Etsy shop myself. I haven't really taken time to check it out so this is super useful. I too wondered about how many items one should have available before starting.

I'd met someone in person several years ago who offered to help me get started, but I wasn't near ready then, so haven't followed up w/ her. Have a feeling she's long since moved on.

Theresa your quilt works looks WONDERFUL on there, very well done!! I aspire to looking that good there some day myself!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz