Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Inspiration?

K8Orlando
10 years ago

Question of the Day:
Where do you typically get your inspiration for a new quilt? Is it a pattern, a color scheme or fabric, a quilt you've seen, a new technique you want to try, a request from a friend or relative? Maybe a blog or a picture you've seen on Pinterest?

I've been lacking inspiration the past few months although I have lots of projects I want to do. But just recently I feel like inspiration is flooding in from all around and it's hard to know what to work on first! What motivates and inspired you?

Kate

Comments (7)

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

All of the above...
    But a new technique grabs me quilt often as does a new pattern, especially from a magazine or book. Usually the fabric follows the idea.

• calliope
    10 years ago

You guys. Every time I think I'm caught up, one of you starts discussing something you're working on. This week it was the granny square quilt. I haven't finished the depression block quilt yet one of YOUR quilt lottos got me hooked on.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I think technique and pattern I've seen at a quilt show stir my juices. I have several groupings of fabrics I bought because I loved them but the quilt to be made hasn't developed. Then I get this idea and eventually work out color and fabric. I design in my sleep and everywhere I go. I even sketch some out. Who knows what comes next. I'm not satisfied with run of the mill stuff. Magazines also inspire me in color groupings I might not have thought of yet.

Every time I go to a quilt show, no matter how small, I take pictures of the FMQ or patterns I like best, close up, and store them in my "ideas" folder. Just wandering through this folder, going back years, brings ideas to my mind.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Gosh, I don't know if I have a "typical" way of being inspired! LOL

Sometimes I buy kits at quilt shows - in that case it's the fabrics that catch my eye.

Sometimes I decide I want to make a quilt for a gift, and in those cases I usually pick a pattern I think they will like and use colors they like. (Unless I make up one of the quilt show kits LOL.)

I also have a growing list of "I want to make that someday" quilts, and when I decide to do one of those I usually use fabrics from my stash.

I also take lots of pictures at quilt shows and sometimes go back through them for inspiration.

I also occasionally take a class because I want to learn from that particular teacher or learn a new technique.

Donna

• karpet
    10 years ago

I would say at least half of my quilts are for an upcoming event such as a graduation, new baby, wedding or severe illness. With those I usually have a 'feeling' I'm trying to capture. The next largest group of quilts are from challenges I set for myself, like how to use all solid fabrics. And the smallest part of my quilts come from seeing a pattern and wanting to make it.
    Karlene

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Get cracking, Calliope, it's a new week! lol

I don't really go looking for inspiration....it just hits me! Sometimes, all I need to do is look through my list of UFO's/WIP's and one will stand out to me. Other times, I'll look though the box of kit's I have so foolishly bought over the years.

Staying focused on my goal of using only stash and working on UFO's has helped this year.

SharonG/FL

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I have the problem of too many things going at one time, and I keep seeing ones I want to start! The calendar is dictating what I do, unfortunately. If I don't get to working on our challenge, I'm not going to get it done by July. My SIL hired me this past weekend to make a quilt or two for the cabin they rent out. She'd also like some wall hangings and some quilts to put on racks with labels and tags for sale. So, my mind is a blur of patterns and things to do!

Robbi