Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - June 2012

K8Orlando
11 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

This month's lotto is one of quilting's oldest and most loved blocks, the log cabin. Log Cabin blocks can be arranged together in so many ways I can't list them all here!

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

June 2012

For June, the block will be a variation on the Log Cabin block. Use the link below for instructions. We'll do this one in neutral darks and lights. Traditionally, the center of a log cabin block is done in red to represent the hearth; that's not a requirement for this one but it is acceptable if you want to to it. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams. Pre-washing is strongly encouraged!

Link to the block instructions: Log Cabin - scroll down to the May entry!

I've attached pictures of the blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Here's the half-square-triangle center that makes this log cabin a little different than those with a square center:

Comments (44)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

June blocks
    Theresa

{{!gwi}}

• lola99
    11 years ago

Here is my block...
    Lola

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They're gorgeous! We're off to a great start this month!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I meant to say this too:

As you can see from the pictures, "neutrals" can be lots of colors in a quilt. It's not all browns and beiges. Anything that will blend well with others will work for this block, especially for the 'dark side' of the block. Medium to deep jewel tones go with anything: you can see in the posted blocks that deep reds, blues, golds and greens are beautiful additions. These posted blocks are all wonderful and will go together to make a rich pattern.

Oooo! This one is going to be fun!!!!

Kate

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

I will make 1 block over the weekend and post next week

Kristene

• polardream
    11 years ago

I have 3 blocks ready to mail tomorrow.
    {{!gwi}}

Sue

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

ooo...these are awesome! glad y'all posted some pics; I was needing the help of the visual to figure it out! Sue, I ESP love the way you placed these blocks for the pic..I'd never have thought of turning them this way, but how COOL!!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you all are making your Log Cabin blocks for June, keep in mind that for August we're using mixed Fall Colors(browns, oranges, purples, reds, greens, beiges) for the Dutchman's Puzzle and for September the block will be a very scrappy Roberta's Jewels. If you're a good planner, you can be cutting pieces for those from the fabrics you are using this month.

Dutchman's Puzzle
    (make this one kind of scrappy but keep it to anything that can be called an autumn color)

Roberta's Jewels
    (make this one as scrappy as you want!)

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Kate, here are my blocks. They'll go into the mail next week. Lois

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Here's my two blocks for our June lotto.
    happy sewing everyone!
    V.

• calliope
    11 years ago

This is a particularly nice fabric combination for a really wonderful block. All of the pictures so far are so beautiful. I have three done, and as soon as I can get a 'round tuit' I'll shoot them out in the mail. Prolly Monday.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I have 3 made. I'm just waiting for the DH to get home on Tuesday from a trip. He's got the good camera, and I do like to have photos of what I've done, LOL.

Someone will have a very nice quilt from these blocks.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have several packages here, including the one received today from Mary_C. That was fast, Mary!

I haven't counted yet but I think we have 22 or 23 so far - and they are all beautiful. But there's still time to make and mail a couple blocks for those who haven't done that yet. Log cabin quilts always receive compliments, even from non-quilters; they are so 'homey' and classic. If you're a quilter, this is a block you need to know how to make. Why not give it a try?

Don't forget: you can use some of the same fabrics for your August and September blocks.

Kate

• calliope
    11 years ago

Hubby posted my blocks yesterday when he did his day in town thing.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

washed, presseed and started cutting fabric yesterday! HOPE I can squeeze in the time to sew and post before it's too late!!!!! (I'm finding that I seem to like picking the fabric and cutting better than sewing!!...weird, eh??)

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

taaDa! they are done! 3 blocks ready to package and post. This one was FUN for me...really like the way it goes together.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

here they are: 3 for the draw and 1 for me (too bad I didn't make extras of the previous months to make a sampler! what was I thinking???)

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I took two squares to the PO today. I think mine arrive pretty quickly to you, Kate, so I think you will have them on time. And I think I was in such a hurry I forgot to cut off the strings...sorry about that to whoever gets these lovely blocks! (Ok, was looking up whether "whoever" or "whomever" was correct, but is 11:30 and I'm too tired to figure it out. So goodnight everyone.)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bev, I LOVE those blocks! I'm sure they'll get here on time and even if they don't, I'll know they are on the way and will include them in the drawing.

Anyone else just getting ready to send blocks this month?

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kate. I had trouble with the first one measuring 12.5. (So it now resides in my sampler stash.) I've learned the more seams, the more chance for eventual error. LOL I like sewing the different blocks because it seems there is something to learn each time.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

just mailed three blocks to you, Kate! (6/27)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great!

I love the log cabin block and thought it would be fairly simple the first time I tried it, years ago. I quickly discovered that it's very easy to get off track and it isn't as simple as it looks! But it is SO worth the effort. The history of this block, combined with the almost endless ways to use it in a variety of patterns, makes it a block all quilters should try.

Thanks again to all of you who have participated in the lotto. I appreciate your support and continued enthusiasm!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Wondering who the lucky winner will be.........does everyone stay up as late as they can in anticipation? It's not even 10pm and I'm close to calling it a day and I'm a night person!...go figure!!!

SharonG/FL-IN

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Sharon! I don't usually do the drawing until the 1st so the month is officially over. Tomorrow We'll have the drawing and I'll get the July post up.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the delay! Neighborhood crisis - been out all day.

Putting the list together now, so if anyone is on line to help with the drawing, let me know.

We have 27 beautiful log cabin blocks! I've received 26 but know the 27th was sent so we'll count that one too.

Back in a minute after I Excel the list!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have blocks from:
    Calliope
    Beth7happy
    Mary_C
    Littlehelen
    Loisf
    SunnyCentralFlorida
    Polardream
    Lola
    Nannykins
    Bev2009
    K8Orlando

I'm missing Kristene's but know the mail can take a while from Oz so we'll count it.

There are a couple people who have opted out of the drawing so there will be 19 entries. Good luck!

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

I'm here if you still need someone!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tamie, I just emailed the list to you! Thanks!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I'm here and can pick the final number, if you need.

I did opt out of this drawing.

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Done and sent! Good luck everyone!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got it! OK Mary, pick a number from 1-19.

(I opted out of the drawing too because I have too many projects right now but it was hard to take my name out once I saw all these blocks!)

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

And the winner is lucky number 13! Congratulations!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bev2009!!!!

Congrats Beverly!!!

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Yay! Congrats Beverly!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

And my congratulations as well
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations Beverly....!!!!
    V.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

woooHooo...congrats!!!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I am so excited! Thank you everyone. It is such a traditional block and I know that I will love the quilt. The pictures everyone have been posting are beautiful!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Bev. Don't forget to post a picture when you finish the quilt.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Congratulations Bev! These blocks are going to be beautiful together. This group of players picked a nice variety of fabrics for their blocks. You are a lucky gal!

• polardream
    11 years ago

Congrats!
    Sue

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kristene's block arrived today, so the package will go out tomorrow to Bev2009!

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I can't wait! I got busy and created a template and have been busily hand quilting the border of my wallhanging to get that finished so I can work on the blocks when they arrive. Nothing like a little pressure to get you moving.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I received the blocks today and they are gorgeous. I will try and take pictures next week. Thank you everyone!