Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 new projects to plan

Posted by mary_c (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 21:33

Today was a good day! I took my son and his girl to a fundraising at a place called Selah ranch. One of my neighbors is the girlfriend of the owner. Girlfriend seems a silly term - she's 76 and he's in his mid eighties.

There were tours of the ranch, a fajita cookout, a raptor demonstration, and a silent auction of many handcrafted items. Really beautiful things!

So while talking to Joanna I volunteered to make them a bed sized (queen probably) for next year's auction. I did say I would declare the value, and a reserve price. I'll try to find a old fashioned pattern - so I'll take any suggestions!!

Then when we were leaving she asked if I would consider "perhaps, maybe, if you're not too busy" would I consider looking at some of David's antique quilts, and possibly recreating them for actual use on some of the beds at the ranch.

OH HECK YEAH!!

I do not want to be in business in any formal sense any more, but making a couple would put me just in the "hobby income" arena. And the auction quilt would be a straight out donation, and I can deduct the cost of my materials.

Either way, I'm excited about the prospects.

Selah Ranch is a charity we donate to regularly anyway, but this is the first year for the silent auction, so I'll be thrilled to make something that could possibly bring them more money than I usually donate.

Website for Selah, Bamberger Ranch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selah, Bamberger Ranch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 new projects to plan

What a wonderful place to visit. Wish I lived closer. I'm sure your quilt will do you proud.

Lynn

o

That is exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to make for the auction. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

I don't know anything about antique quilts, but I'm sure that will be an interesting challenge.

Sleah ranch sounds like a great place. Thanks for sharing this with us.

o

What a beautiful place! I have a magazine from 1934 on needlecrafts and quilts blocks were featured in an article. I would be happy to copy it and mail it to you, if you'd like. I tried to take a picture, but you can't read any of the words. I think this was a progressive magazine in its day :)

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

How exciting!!!! I would love to see pics of the David's antique quilts too.
Keep us posted please!

o

What a great project. Perhaps you can do a block from several of the quilts and make a sampler for the auction.

beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here