Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crumb quilt (pics)

Posted by bopeep (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 21:32

We have been talking about crumb quilts for a while, this is one I started a few months ago. I finished it Thursday night. I used up a lot of those really small pieces. I sewed them together until I got a piece that I could cut into 6 1/2 inch squares, I put 1 1/2 inch strips between them and them did a flip and sew to sew every thing together, I used flannel in the middle and backed it with muslin, the strips are also muslin. I made this for our bed and it is king size, I think this will be the only king size I will make, I enjoy making lap size and baby ones, they are so much lighter and easier to handle, but I enjoy looking at the pieces from the quilts I have made.
bopeep

Crumb Quilt side 1
Crumb Quilt side 2
Label on Crumb Quilt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crumb quilt (pics)

Way to go! That is great! It is a real treasure! Your quilt history, up to this time, is right in plain site!

Wonderful! It looks great!

TFS,
Gwen

o

I love your quilt - crumbs are such fun. I have just finished a crib quilt made with crumbs - will try to post a picture, but not very good at it. Well done.
Ann

o

I love it -- what a great idea. Another idea for the to-do list:)

o

All those lovely scrappy colors! Wonderful quilt. Many people on the forum have been talking about crumb quilts. So I've started saving pieces to make one. So far I only have a few blocks, but when I want to sew but can't or don't want to concentrate too much, I make 1 or 2 crumbs blocks. They're easy and quick to do. That's one of the reasons I like doing them. And look at the lovely results!!

~Geraldine

o

What a great quilt! Now you can sleep under all the quilts in your past. ;o)

Teresa

o

Nice quilt, a bit of all your quilts together in one place.

beverly

o

I love it. Quilts like that are what attracted me to quilting in the first place. That is making something beautiful out of scraps.

o

Bopeep, I love it!!

I had not heard of crumb quilts til I joined this forum. Now I have a basket just for crumbs and look forward to making crumb squares and a quilt too.

Thanks for the ideas!!

goldie

o

Very nice,and a nice way not to waste fabric,plus you can lay in bed and think of all the quilts you made in the past to get to this one.
TFS
Kathi

o

Thank you all, you are soooo sweet and kind.
bopeep

o

I had never heard of a crumb quilt until tonight. I'm ready to get my scraps together and makes some squares. bopeep, your quilt is great. Great way to use up fabric that others would otherwise throw out.

o

When making a crumb quilt......do you need to use a foundation piece? Or just keep sewing pieces together til it's large enough for a aquare.
I may be wrong, but that's what I understood you to say. Having to use a foundation fabric always turned me off.
Hope I understood right.
Marge

o

Bonnie Hunter's link below explains it!

Enjoy!

Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiltville

o

I love it! Another one for my "to do" list. I like that you can work on it from time to time, and don't have to do it all at once. I will never make a King size, though. I've made a queen, and I think that's good enough.

o

I think I'm missing something...I don't see any photographs!
:( salijo

o

Great fun but a lot of crumbs to make a king sized quilt!!
I have a crumb top that I am going to use as a back for my scrap quilt but waiting on some boarder fabric. Still debating on how to quilt it.
You did a great job and adding the sashing was an interesting way of showing them off. I like muslin in scrappy quilts. TFS Jayne

o

OK, now I see it...must've been my computer at work. I like it!
Salijo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here