Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Kentucky Quilts

K8Orlando
9 years ago

We attended a memorial for DH Jim's wonderful Aunt Betty last weekend. It's sad to think of a world without her but she lived a life worth celebrating. Like all family gatherings of this type, we laughed, we cried, we hugged, told stories, cooked constantly and ate way too much. And we talked about quilts! Turns out Aunt Betty made a quilt or two in her younger years and so did her daughter Nancy. One of the women attending the memorial just turned to quilting about 5 years ago - she was a dear friend of Aunt Betty's when they both lived in Japan, although neither of them quilted at that time. Isn't it fun to be able to talk about quilting when you least expect it? Of course, Nancy brought out quilts for us to admire. I've already posted pictures of the crazy quilt she's trying to save in a separate post, but here are three more quilts. I'm sorry I don't remember who made which one or exactly when they were made. All are at least 30 years old.

Kate

Comments (14)

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I just love the old patterns. That bowtie is wonderful.

beverly

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

They're so pretty. They look like they have that satiny softness of older quilts.
    LindaB/CA

• day2day
    9 years ago

What wonderful quilts.
    Love looking at these oldies- but-goodies.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Kate, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing the quilts!

Donna

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing these wonderful vintage scrap quilts - I especially love how she quilted the bowtie with multiple lines of echo quilting - can't tell by the photo, but are these hand quilted?

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! can't you just feel the love??

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like it was a nice memorial for a nice Lady.
    I also love how she quilted the Bowtie quilt. The way she quilted it really changed the look. I have been thinking about making another,and if I do, I know how I am going to quilt it!
    Thanks for sharing these quilts with us!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

How special are these...thanks for sharing with us...they are lovely!
    The quilting on the bow tie is perfect...not sure I'd have the patience for the echo, but it is such a perfect design. I'm partial to the middle one...it's the simplicity that captures me.

V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bow tie is hand quilted. If I remember the story right, it's the first AND ONLY quilt cousin Nancy ever made. She was young when she tackled this pattern and wishes now she had started with something easier! It put her off quilting because it was so tedious. I assured her it was beautiful and worth the time she spent on it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Kate, As the others have said, the quilts are wonderful. I have always enjoyed traditional patterns and particularly like the quilting on this Square-in-a-Square quilt. Thank you for sharing.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the story of your family member and quilter. All the quilts are lovely, I especially like the bow tie quilt. All these quilts are so nice and white and don't look to have yellowed, ... how did they store them to keep them so white?

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, May 22, 14 at 15:22

• polardream
    9 years ago

Kate,
    So sorry for your family's loss - but thank you so much for sharing your story and quilt pictures! It is fun to have that connection - quilting - that keeps families "tied" together!

The quilts are great - love the bow tie!

Sue

• Robbi D.
    9 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss, but love the legacy left behind. Beautiful!!

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

The are beautiful! I love anything hand quilted and I lean towards the traditional patterns too.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022