Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentucky Quilts

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 21:27

We attended a memorial for DH Jim's wonderful Aunt Betty last weekend. It's sad to think of a world without her but she lived a life worth celebrating. Like all family gatherings of this type, we laughed, we cried, we hugged, told stories, cooked constantly and ate way too much. And we talked about quilts! Turns out Aunt Betty made a quilt or two in her younger years and so did her daughter Nancy. One of the women attending the memorial just turned to quilting about 5 years ago - she was a dear friend of Aunt Betty's when they both lived in Japan, although neither of them quilted at that time. Isn't it fun to be able to talk about quilting when you least expect it? Of course, Nancy brought out quilts for us to admire. I've already posted pictures of the crazy quilt she's trying to save in a separate post, but here are three more quilts. I'm sorry I don't remember who made which one or exactly when they were made. All are at least 30 years old.

photo photo2_zps461d2727.jpg

photo photo3_zpsea600ffe.jpg

photo photo4_zps63aeaa0c.jpg

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentucky Quilts

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I just love the old patterns. That bowtie is wonderful.

beverly

o

They're so pretty. They look like they have that satiny softness of older quilts.
LindaB/CA

o

What wonderful quilts.
Love looking at these oldies- but-goodies.
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

Kate, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing the quilts!

Donna

o

Thanks for sharing these wonderful vintage scrap quilts - I especially love how she quilted the bowtie with multiple lines of echo quilting - can't tell by the photo, but are these hand quilted?

o

Beautiful!!! can't you just feel the love??

o

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like it was a nice memorial for a nice Lady.
I also love how she quilted the Bowtie quilt. The way she quilted it really changed the look. I have been thinking about making another,and if I do, I know how I am going to quilt it!
Thanks for sharing these quilts with us!

o

How special are these...thanks for sharing with us...they are lovely!
The quilting on the bow tie is perfect...not sure I'd have the patience for the echo, but it is such a perfect design. I'm partial to the middle one...it's the simplicity that captures me.

V.

o

The bow tie is hand quilted. If I remember the story right, it's the first AND ONLY quilt cousin Nancy ever made. She was young when she tackled this pattern and wishes now she had started with something easier! It put her off quilting because it was so tedious. I assured her it was beautiful and worth the time she spent on it.

o

Kate, As the others have said, the quilts are wonderful. I have always enjoyed traditional patterns and particularly like the quilting on this Square-in-a-Square quilt. Thank you for sharing.

SharonG/FL

o

Thanks for sharing the story of your family member and quilter. All the quilts are lovely, I especially like the bow tie quilt. All these quilts are so nice and white and don't look to have yellowed, ... how did they store them to keep them so white?

Best to you and yours,
Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, May 22, 14 at 15:22

o

Kate,
So sorry for your family's loss - but thank you so much for sharing your story and quilt pictures! It is fun to have that connection - quilting - that keeps families "tied" together!

The quilts are great - love the bow tie!

Sue

o

I'm sorry for your loss, but love the legacy left behind. Beautiful!!

Robbi

o

The are beautiful! I love anything hand quilted and I lean towards the traditional patterns too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here