Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 21:09

Will this ever stop?????

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: D16P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Disappearing 16 Patch

Way too cool! Great of you to link us to this...I just need more time to get everything I want to do done!...lol

Thanks,
Gwen

o

Gwen, If we didn't have to sleep to charge up, we'd have more time. lol When I get home, I'll probably make a block or two and see how I like it. @:) Lot of bias edges there....... @:(

SharonG/FL

o

I like it except that it looks like you'd end up loosing your points on the sides--or am I missing something? But aside from that--it is kind of cute.

o

What a cool idea, thanks much for the link, It could be a great use for the odd sets of Charm Squares one sometimes ends up with. In patterns &/or colors one might never chose.

So this seems a great way to use them. I could enjoy the process of learning a creative new pieced block & then give the result(s) to my Guild's Charity, for maybe hospital or shelter quilts. 2 birds w/ 1 stone, double thank you!

o

The lost points would irritate me - even for a charity quilt, LOL.

I know, I know - I'm a fussbudget!

o

Okay... there are 3 of us. I couldn't handle the missing points either. LOL
Jeanne

o

Make that 4. It would really bother me too. lol
Linda OH

o

Could someone explain pls. --lost or missing points? I don't get it, those which one clipped off, what some folks call 'ears'?

Why is this a problem? Sorry, not meaning to be dense.

o

Pirate Girl, when you cut through the block, and then sew it back together, you have lost the width of the new seam allowance on both sides of the cut pieces.

It won't be possible to match up the seams with nice points - there isn't enough fabric. This problem isn't shown on her EQ drawings, and she does address it in the comments sections, saying she didn't know how to represent the missing points in the program.

So that issue, along with the making all the outside edges bias, instead of straight of grain, will probably keep me from even trying the block....although I have enough ugly fabric to try one. Hmmm...

o

I'm looking at it like this: Sewing where you'd think 'points' would be, in this pattern, they're not. No worries if points weren't quite right, there aren't any! @:)

SharonG/FL

o

I totally understand Sharon - really I do! I'm sure the quilt would look great.

But I would have a twitching fit trying to sew that block into a quilt. My fingers are curling as I type, LOL. I like my points. I like my points pointy!!

I'm also proud of my piecing ability, so making a quilt that destroys some of my accuracy just doesn't appeal.

I DID say upfront - I AM a fussbudget.

o

I tried this pattern and you do loose a few points, but it was fun and easy to make. I added sashing between the squares because I didn't like the idea of trying to match squares together. Most of it is on a bias, but once I get it quilted I think it will be fine (sashing helped also!) I used 3-1/2" squares from my scrap pile and like the scrappy look.
Sue
DP16

o

Sue, That's really pretty! I like it!

The one thing I absolutely do not like about this pattern is not knowing where the squares will appear within the block. Guess my mind isn't scrappy enough right now. @:)

SharonG/FL

o

Sue,
I like how your quilt turned out using sashing between the blocks. Great idea! Thanks for sharing the picture.
Jeanne

o

Points or no points, I like this pattern and think I may be making one. I have just the pre-cut squares to start with. I love yours Sue. It's bright and cheerful, really nice.

o

Sue, I love your quilt. I think I could live with the cut off points with the sashing.
Linda OH

o

Yes, Sue,

You did a really nice job. I like this a lot. The sashing helps a lot, as does the setting it on point. I think the 2 combined are perfect, I think some day I'll try it like that.

Thanks for the explanation about losing the points (I hadn't thought about the disappearing points but did about the loss of seam allowance).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here