Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Problem with fusible not sticking

loisflan
11 years ago

Have any of you experienced a problem with the fusible not sticking to the fabric. I've used HeatnBond Feather Lite on regular cotton fabric with excellent results. I am trying to use it on batik (which has been washed), and it refuses to stick to the fabric. What's up?

Comments (10)

• loisflan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the piecing on the fabric. It's a kind of braid, so there are a lot of seams. I tried it on a scrap of the batik, and it stuck. Maybe I need a heavier fusible.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Looks like you've asked and answered your own question!!! LOL
    Kathi

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

I'm not a fusing expert, but here are a couple of things that I've learned. Fabric should be pre-washed cause sometimes the sizing will interfer. And, it is possible to KILL the fusible by heating it too much, or too many times. But I think you are probably onto something if there are seams in the piece you are trying to fuse.

Whatcha makin' ? ;)

Faye

• loisflan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's a pattern called Sunshine Pineapple. I've pieced the pineapple bodies, and that's where I'm having trouble with the fusible not sticking. I'll try again tonight, and I'll make sure I'm not overheating the fusible. I may stop on the way home and buy a heavier product too.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Oh! That's a beauty!!!
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Lois, are you fusing the entire body of the pineapple? A heavier fusible product will give you a stiff pineapple, especially if you are fusing the whole pineapple.
    I use a different method taught by Sue Nichols, an award winning machine applique quilter. I recommend reading her book. The Quilt Shop may have a copy. Only the outer ring of the pineapple will have fusible and it will be soft.
    I personally would not use fusible on the entire back of the pineapple.

This is a gorgeous quilt, I remember it from your trip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sue Nichols Raw Edge Applique

• day2day
    11 years ago

Lois, I'm just checking the forum and saw your quilt.
    It is gorgeous!

~Geraldine

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Please excuse me for bumping in (I usually just lurk); but did you check the temperature of the iron? Sometimes the soleplate can have a buildup of [starch. sizing, etc) that will affect the actual temperature. I also noticed a change in application directions on some recently purchased featherweight fusible which not only specified the temperature and duration of press, but also that a damp pressing cloth be used. Too short a press or a lack of sufficient dampness can result in the fusible not sticking. I got the best result by exactly following temperature and press duration while using a *very* damp pressing cloth.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

meldy, no need to ask to be excused :) Please keep bumping in ~ we love new voices and shared experiences.

Interesting about using a damp pressing cloth. What kind of fusible did you use?

• loisflan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marsha, I'm still giggling about the stiff pineapple. But I'm sure you are right. With all the piecing, it's already quite heavy. I recall having heard about the method of using fusible only around the border of the applique. Sounds like a clever idea. I'll try it again with the light weight product only along the border, maybe using a damp cloth or plenty of steam.

Thanks, Meldy, for your suggestions. And welcome to the forum. Just jump in any time. I'm pretty new here too, and this is a great group of women (and you too, Dan the mailman).

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions