Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with fusible not sticking

Posted by loisf (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 21:06

Have any of you experienced a problem with the fusible not sticking to the fabric. I've used HeatnBond Feather Lite on regular cotton fabric with excellent results. I am trying to use it on batik (which has been washed), and it refuses to stick to the fabric. What's up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with fusible not sticking

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the piecing on the fabric. It's a kind of braid, so there are a lot of seams. I tried it on a scrap of the batik, and it stuck. Maybe I need a heavier fusible.

o

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the piecing on the fabric. It's a kind of braid, so there are a lot of seams. I tried it on a scrap of the batik, and it stuck. Maybe I need a heavier fusible.

o

Looks like you've asked and answered your own question!!! LOL
Kathi

o

I'm not a fusing expert, but here are a couple of things that I've learned. Fabric should be pre-washed cause sometimes the sizing will interfer. And, it is possible to KILL the fusible by heating it too much, or too many times. But I think you are probably onto something if there are seams in the piece you are trying to fuse.

Whatcha makin' ? ;)

Faye

o

It's a pattern called Sunshine Pineapple. I've pieced the pineapple bodies, and that's where I'm having trouble with the fusible not sticking. I'll try again tonight, and I'll make sure I'm not overheating the fusible. I may stop on the way home and buy a heavier product too.

Photobucket

o

Oh! That's a beauty!!!
Theresa

o

Lois, are you fusing the entire body of the pineapple? A heavier fusible product will give you a stiff pineapple, especially if you are fusing the whole pineapple.
I use a different method taught by Sue Nichols, an award winning machine applique quilter. I recommend reading her book. The Quilt Shop may have a copy. Only the outer ring of the pineapple will have fusible and it will be soft.
I personally would not use fusible on the entire back of the pineapple.

This is a gorgeous quilt, I remember it from your trip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sue Nichols Raw Edge Applique

o

Lois, I'm just checking the forum and saw your quilt.
It is gorgeous!

~Geraldine

o

Please excuse me for bumping in (I usually just lurk); but did you check the temperature of the iron? Sometimes the soleplate can have a buildup of [starch. sizing, etc) that will affect the actual temperature. I also noticed a change in application directions on some recently purchased featherweight fusible which not only specified the temperature and duration of press, but also that a damp pressing cloth be used. Too short a press or a lack of sufficient dampness can result in the fusible not sticking. I got the best result by exactly following temperature and press duration while using a *very* damp pressing cloth.

o

meldy, no need to ask to be excused :) Please keep bumping in ~ we love new voices and shared experiences.

Interesting about using a damp pressing cloth. What kind of fusible did you use?

o

Marsha, I'm still giggling about the stiff pineapple. But I'm sure you are right. With all the piecing, it's already quite heavy. I recall having heard about the method of using fusible only around the border of the applique. Sounds like a clever idea. I'll try it again with the light weight product only along the border, maybe using a damp cloth or plenty of steam.

Thanks, Meldy, for your suggestions. And welcome to the forum. Just jump in any time. I'm pretty new here too, and this is a great group of women (and you too, Dan the mailman).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here