Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Quilt Repair Advice?

K8Orlando
9 years ago

Last weekend during a family gathering outside Louisville Kentucky I was asked if there's a way to repair this old crazy quilt. We aren't sure when it was made but we think it was in the 1950's or 60's. Lots of old synthetic fabrics. I'll include a couple close up photos so you can see how badly some of the pieces have worn.

I don't have any repair skills and these look pretty bad to me so all I could think of was to cover it all with a sheer silk organza to protect what's left. She could stitch it around each block to secure it and wrap the organza around the edges to cover the binding. You could see the pattern and the fabric through the sheer covering.

What do you think? Is that a crazy enough solution to save a crazy quilt? What are some other options?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kate

Comments (6)

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I have one that needs repair also. The heavily dyed dark fabrics just don't hold up well at all. I plan to remove the embroidery, cover the areas with a similar fabric, then re-embroider. I may change my mind after I do a couple of areas, but that is my plan.

beverly

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was our first thought with this one, Beverly, but almost 30% of the fabrics show damage. I think it's too much to replace on this one. The embroidery is broken in many places too.

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Sometimes you have to just wrap them up and save them for what they are. The silks almost disintegrated in mine but if I tried anything, it wouldn't be the same quilt. Sorry.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I would hesitate to do anything, if you attempted it you might regret starting it. Maybe your idea is the best. The only other thing maybe would be to cover the really bad pieces with another fabric but that would be tedious, too. I also have an OLD top that needs repair and every time I look at it I shake my head and put it back in the box. And it's mostly just seam repairs, but a LOT of it.

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I also would not do anything to the crazy quilts. It looks well used and loved, and that is part of the history. Anything you do, will alter the quilt, and value. There is alot written on repairing - restoring and preserving the history of crazy quilts.

I was fortunate to attend a lecture given by Betty Pillsbury - Crazy Quilts. On my! Did I learn alot! The history and the quilts she showed - some before & during the Civil War. The fabric, stitching and embellishments, all indicated wealth (or lack of) and the time to stitch these elaborate Crazy Quilts and items showed the Lady of the House had servants to do every thing else.
    I loved the lecture and wished I had taken her workshop.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I think I would do hand-sewn, decorative, embroidery stitches (similar to what was done previously when the quilt was made) to bind the ripped/torn fabric pieces back together even if it means a little of the batting would show through if torn pieces don't fully mesh. Afterwards I would recommend this being a display quilt and not a utilitarian quilt.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks