Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Moda Ruby

nannykins
11 years ago

In an earlier post, Kate said that she had a jelly roll of this line.

I was given long quarters for Christmas. I separated the colours and made two different quilts with them. Here is one

Theresa

Comments (19)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Love it!!!! Fresh, pretty, cheerful... Ruby!

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is the second
    Theresa

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Very nice!!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Great quilts. Love those colors and you did a good job.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

OMG! I love both of them!

Can you tell us the names of the patterns you used?

I have a couple of jelly rolls that I need patterns for, and those look like they'd be great for j-rolls.

TFS!

Julie

• day2day
    11 years ago

Nice quilts.
    I like using jelly rolls. No hassle choosing colors.

~Geraldine

• day2day
    11 years ago

Theresa, I meant to ask you.... what exactly are long quarters? Never see them in the LQS in this area.
    What is the size difference from jelly rolls?

~Geraldine

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Long quarters are a quarter of a yard by the width of the fabric. So 9x42 basically, as opposed to a fat quarter which is 18x22.
    These were Cdn. lq's so measured 10x42 ( a quarter of a metre, 40 inches). That made it great because I could get 4 2 1/2' strips from them.
    The second pattern probably has many names but I found it online as Moon Dance and I used the second set of instructions for 2 1/2 strips.
    I don't have the name for the first pattern but it seems to be a variation of the Log Cabin. I had done this pattern two years ago in 30's fabrics and I liked it very much. Since all of these quilts are Charity quilts, I often repeat patterns that are easy but still pretty.
    Theresa

• day2day
    11 years ago

Theresa, thanks for the information.

~Geraldine

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Very pretty, Theresa. The first one reminds me of strawberries. I've never worked with jelly rolls, but it looks like fun. I'll have to try it someday.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Thanks Theresa.

I wasn't able to find a link for the Moon Dance quilt, but I drew it out on graph paper and I think I can figure out how to make the blocks.

Question about the first quilt...
    Did you have to sew partial seams when adding pieces around the center square?

Julie

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Theresa I love both of them. The first / top one you posted brings to mind strawberry shortcake and her dolls I used to play with as a child - love those colors, nice and cheerful.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Theresa, I found a pattern for Moon Dance but it has 5 strips with the white going across 2 strips. I like the way you did it much better!

Too many quilts, so little time......

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Moon Dance

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why do they do that?
    Julie;
    Sharon's link shows the pages that were originally posted and which I printed out. But that link is now gone. If you like I can e-mail the pattern to you.
    Basically it is a Rail Fence with snowball corners. And her strips are 2". The designer Lyn Brown cautions that you be consistent in orienting the blocks as you add those snowballs. My sister made this once and had to do a lot of "reverse sewing".
    Because I used 2 1/2 strips, and to keep the block at 8", I only used 4 strips per block.
    And on the first quilt, only the first seam is a partial one. I will have to do a search and see if I can find the real pattern.
    Thanks for all your wonderful comments. Because I have no one around to share work with, it is a boost to the ego to have someone make positive remarks.
    Theresa

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Theresa,
    If I use 2 1/2" strips for the rail fence pattern, I should be able to cut 2 1/2" white squares to make the snowballs, right? Just sew on the diagonal of each square (R sides together on the ends of the print fabric strips,) on the two outer strips of each block. Did that make sense?
    If that's right, you don't need to e-mail the pattern to me, but thanks for the offer!

First quilt pattern...O.K. I think I get it.
    Do you first make 4 sets of three rectangles (one short and two long,) then sew them to the center square, with the first set being the partial seam?
    I just love that pattern. A person could use charm squares AND jelly rolls:)

Julie

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Kewl quilts!

• nannykins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julie, you have it all figured out.
    Smart girl, because I looked at the block and couldn't remember how I made it. I am blaming that on last week's birthday. But I did find my copy of it. It comes from a book called Scrap Basket Surprises.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Thanks, Theresa!

...couldn't remember how I made it.
    LOL! I know the feeling well! As we get older...

Julie

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Love them both!!!! I can relate to 'couldn't remember how I made it' too!!!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner