Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanajayne

qotd

nanajayne
11 years ago

I am about to put on a quilt binding and was wondering how others apply theirs.

Do you mark the border-sew on the binding then trim before you turn to the other side?

OR

Do you trim the border-sew on the binding and turn?

I usually trim before I apply the binding except when I am doing curved edges but can see advantages to doing it the other way.

Comments (22)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I used to always sew the binding then trim the edge. I think I thought it helped make sure that all three layers of the quilt were sewn in the seam.

For my last few quilts (some big ones and a bunch of minis) I've trimmed the edge first in order to make sure the border is straight and the corners square. I've been a lot happier with the results.

Donna

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I do it both ways depending on the quilt. The one I'm finishing now, I marked where the edge was to be with a pen, sewed on the binding, then trimmed. I use the Sharon Schamber glue method so it gets pressed before the actually stitching. I think it makes it all lay much flatter and keeps the edges all together through the process.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I trim, sew, fold. I've not done a curved border yet, so that may change.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I have always trimmed first to square up edges and corners, then sewn & folded to the back.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I always sew first, trim and then turn. I do lots of curved borders on my quilts and don't seem to have any more difficulty sewing the seam straight than I would cutting it. Actually less and that's why I do it that way.

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I always trim first than add the binding. The only curved bindings I have done were the DWRs. The long-arm quilter stitched around the edge so I trimmed before binding on those quilts also.
    Linda OH

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I baste with really big stitches and then trim. I like thin bindings and I use glue, it makes the mitered corners so much easier to do. It amazes me how people come up with these ideas lol!!!
    Rosa

• buteau3rd
    11 years ago

I have tried marking where I would normally trim, and using that line to guide the serger.
    Then using that quarter inch (made by serging) for stitching my binding on. It feels neater. Also controls any stretchiness if needed.

• vicky4x4
    11 years ago

I have done it both way but I usually sew first, then trim.
    Vicky

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On many of my smaller quilts I have serged the binding on but I usually trim before, even though the serger smooths the edges. I like the serged method, much quicker and the results are satisfactory, but I still hand stitch it down.

• lola99
    11 years ago

I always trim first. It never occurred to me to do it any other way and I've never done a curved binding.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Like Lola, it never occurred to me to do anything else but trim first, then sew. If I'm worried about keeping the edges in line, I have basted first. And I always use my walking foot to keep the layers from sliding while I sew on the binding.

• karpet
    11 years ago

I'm going to show my ignorance - when you say 'trim the border' do you actually mean trim the border or trim the batting/backing?
    Karlene

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I have done it both ways but prefer trimming first. I have lopped off a few mitred corners when trimming after sewing.
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Karlene, trim the sandwich to make sure the edges are all even to fill the binding. Usually that means the batting and the backing BUT as much as I square up as I go, sometimes my sandwich is off a little and I have to square it up.

I don't trim the corners until I get to the point of glueing them down and sewing them to the back. I have trimmed them to close before lol!!!!
    Rosa

• calverttx
    11 years ago

Glue down? Please explain further. I am not familiar with this. Do you mean actual glue? Ok, stop giggling. I really do not know.

Nancy

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I've never heard of using glue either and would love an explanation!

I have only one method: trim, sew and turn to the back to sew by hand. But I haven't done any curved or shaped edges.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Is this the glue method you all use? When I read about gluing I thought you were gluing the sandwiched layers together at the edges. This tute makes more sense than what I was thinking! But it seems like a lot more work than just sewing and turning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glue Binding Tutorial

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Here is another of Sharon Schamber videos ~ watch all 3. I had never seen these before.
    I don't use glue, but maybe I will on my next quilt. I know glue has been mentioned often when binding.

To answer the question-I've tried both methods - trimming after the binding is attached - Sally Collins likes this method. It depends on the quilt, because I square the quilt before I sew on the binding, but sometimes I trim again. I like small bindings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Binding use Glue method

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I sew it to the front, trim, then hand-sew to the back. I use the walking foot to sew it on the front.

• karpet
    11 years ago

Thank you for the clarification! I also sew it to the front and then trim the batting/backing and hand-sew to the back.
    Karlene

• calverttx
    11 years ago

I watched all three videos this morning. I will try that when I bind the quilt I am working on. It did look a lot smoother. Thanks ladies for all of your help. Nancy

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA