Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Everyone OK???

Posted by quiltpartner (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 19:35

On a more serious note --- is everyone out there OK?? With all of us spread all over the country, & the horrible storms we've had (& are still having) I'm just praying that you all are fine!! It would be REALLY nice to hear from everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Everyone OK???

Quilt, I am in central Florida and except for being extremely dry all is well here. I hope all the midwest/Mississippi River area folks are okay and will be able to check in soon.

Donna

o

I wonder about all our friends in areas that are hit with these extremes in weather also. Keeping everyone in my prayers.....

I'm okay in Maryland. We've been getting Tornados all around us -very unusual - we don't even know what to do - often don't even know that there is a warning until afterwards.
We know how to prepare for Hurricanes - not Tornados.

o

We're fine out here in California. We only have preachers who tell everyone the world is ending. I guess for Joplin, they weren't far wrong. I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes any day. I worry about our mid-west quilters.

o

Northern VA is okay. Haven't seen a drop in a few days n ow... whoohooo!

Threat of thunderstorms each day this week, but that's 'bout normal for us with this hot & humid weather.

Stay safe, ya'll

o

We are ok here in AL. I had a cousin who lost his business and home in the tornado, but he and his family are alive and well as are the rest of our families.

Prayers for those in Joplin and surrounding area.

beverly

o

We're safe here in NW Ohio. The storms passed north and south of us tonight. It's not storming now but I don't think this is the end of it. Cindy, are you OK?
Linda OH

o

We're ok here in Northern Indiana. Last night was kind of scary......I think the worst of the storm today passed about 80 miles south of us. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice but Wednesday is supposed to be a thunderous day.

SharonG/FL

o

I have a dear friend in Joplin that was very lucky. Her home is the only one left standing in her neighborhood. It has major outside damage, no windows, siding ripped off, but the inside is still intact. She is able to keep in touch through facebook.

Rebecca

o

Good to hear many of you are OK - still worried about a few tho. We are fine - a thunderstorm last night w/a little more rain, but nothing bad. DH figured we wouldn't see any rain --- he (finally) got the rain barrel connected! lol But it has 6+ inches in it - all's good.

He did tell me after seeing pics on TV of Joplin, that we were not allowed to ever complain about flooding again --- it pales in comparison to the devastation out there. It is always the case when we think about it, someone else's problems are always worse than our own. We just don't usually see it that way because at the time we have tunnel vision.

Still hoping to hear from more of you!
~Cindy

o

LindaOH, You ok? Looks like some nasty weather going through your area.

SharonG/FL

o

Hello
We are ok in north east missouri, should get some bumpy weather
Tomarrow. We have a great basement with a fraidy hole in case of emergency. Lived in so cal till I was 27 had enough EQs, but the storms can be scary hense the BASEMENT.
Good luck to everyone
Michelle

o

Glad to see you checked in Michelle! "Fraidy hole" - is that deeper or different than the basement? Be safe!

o

Sharon,we are OK. Funnel clouds were spotted south of town by a friend of mine but they didn't touch down. It didn't even rain here.
Linda OH

o

We had tornadoes all around but we are okay. They high school got damage and we were suppose to have school through the end of the week, but today was our last day. The teachers have to go tomorrow. I think earthquakes would be scarier. Tornadoes you do have some warning,usually.

o

glad to hear everyone is safe so far. Rain, hail, & snow still happening daily in Colorado but so far no tornados. My heart goes out to all of those in Joplin and Oklanhoma.
Sue

o

My grandson lives in Kansas City, MO and he and his fiancee are ok. We're still on Tornado Alert here in Northern Indiana until 7pm and they predict more tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone.

SharonG/FL

o

North Georgia had bad weather, but we are just DRY and HOT!!! I was in the gym and a lady told me her grandmother in AL lost everything, the house has just disappeared. She is 85 and wanted to remain independent. I can't imagine trying to start over at 85, bless her. The family is going thru their pics to start a pic album for her as a surprise. She is moving to live with a daughter until the insurance has settled.
We can't have basements and we have discussed the safe places (if there is such a thing!) in the house, but these deadly tornadoes have cleared everything to the ground, so really only underground is somewhat safe. Glad to hear everyone is OK.
Rosa

o

It's just hot and dry here, but I'm glad to here most of us on the forum are OK.

My heart goes out to the communities destroyed. What a tragedy.

o

We have had some nasty weather this afternoon. The road is flooded just west of my neighbors driveway with water running across the road.
Cindy, did you get any hail damage? I have been thinking of you as I listen to the weatherman. They have been talking about the severe weather for more than an hour. Our tv signal and the internet were both out most of the afternoon and we have had 3 inches of rain.
Linda OH

o

All is well in the Hudson Valley area of New York. Just a lot of rain the past few days, but today was warm and dry. Our thoghts and prayers are ongoing for all going through this terrible time elsewhere. Be safe....Eileen

o

Thanks! Linda :) We are fine, had blankets & pillows ready in the hall - we live in a brick ranch w/no basement. 99% of the time we celebrate no basement! - what w/all the flooding we seem to be getting:( But last night was one of the 1% when we wish we had one! Our city tornado sirens failed to go off - apparently a power surge blew them out - but fortunately we heard the warning on TV. DS had his house hit twice w/lightning - lost a lot of electronics even tho they have the super-duper-colossal surge protectors. Guess a direct hit isn't guaranteed!:) A lot of bad hail damage at the north end of the city - we are in the south Praise God! Some houses literally have holes in their siding as big as basketballs! Lots of windows out - a friend lost his windshield while driving home from work! Scary thought, that.
Today we are supposed to get more rain (what else is new??!) possibly a lot. Neighbors have a new lake in their back yard - where's that kayak I was hearing about??
I'm going to keep working on graduation & baby quilts until I either float or blow away. Can't stop mother nature - I might as well be productive:)
How did everyone else fair yesterday/last night??

~Cindy

o

We also had a tornado warning and up to baseball sized hail last evening. I had to laugh, though, I received one of the emergency alert phone calls saying to take cover as tornado in area 5:40 - 5:50 pm... Didn't get the call until 6:10, though. Several without power and some flash flooding.

More of the same predicted for this afternoon. Maybe this time I'll take my oil lamp (a flashlight might be safer, huh?) and some hand sewing into a closet or bathroom instead of watching for it to pop over the mountain across the road!

Kay, in south central PA Appalachians, a lovely little round valley called "The Punch Bowl".. where you can't see ANY weather coming until it tops the mountain and is right over you!

o

Kay -I wondered about how you were doing last night.
I DVR'd a show - watched it hours after and saw the Tornado warning crawl across the screen - we don't have sirens or sophisticated warning systems because we are not supposed to be getting tornadoes!!! Mother Nature is making up her own rules.
More serious - Sharon needs to check back in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here