Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Let's introduce ourselves to everyone!

jennifer_in_va
16 years ago

It's been awhile since we've done a specific thread to share about ourselves. Since we have so many new folks, I thought one central thread would be helpful. (Doesn't hurt to refresh the memories of my old & tired brain, either! LOL)

My name is Jennifer. I'm 39, married (for 7 1/2 years) and the stay-at-home mom to Cynthia age 5 1/2 and Jason age 2 1/2. My husband also has twins that are almost 18 and graduating high school in a few weeks. We homeschool the little ones. We also have a 14 year old australian shepherd dog and a 1 year old siberian husky, a turtle, a tadpole, and a pond with koi.

As far as quilting goes, I have a Janome 8080 that I love to death, an old Kenmore, a Juki on my quilt frame and 3 antiques one of which works. I machine piece and machine quilt everything...only dabbling in hand piecing and hand quilting. I don't care much for applique but have done it a few times in a variety of ways.

I've been quilting steadily since I was about 18, but made my first quilt when I was 10 or so. I learned garment sewing when I was 8 years old. I've quilted many many a quilt on my old kenmore...up to king sized. Boy am I happy to finally have a large frame to work from.

Oh, and I live in Virginia if you hadn't figured it out!

Okay...now that you know all about me....who's next!????

Comments (109)

• nana24
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi to all you wonderful quilters.
    I'm Sally aka Nana24 ( 4 wonderful GC). In fact, this week I'm with 2 of them for a piano recital and a birthday. My oldest GC will be 10 on Sat. I am 61 'til June. I've been married to DH for 41 years. We have a daughter with 2 children and a son who also has 2 children.
    I live in South Louisiana. Betty, I'm wondering where in So. LA you are; I'm in Morgan City.

I come from a quilting family. My Mom and aunts quilted. I was not previleged to know my GMs. I am the 5th in a family of 6 girls. I began sewing on a treadle machine when I was very small. Mom would cut out doll clothes and I'd sew them.

I've made more baby quilts than I can remember. I like to make wall hangings. I just enjoy the sewing process. I sewed for my DC and now sew some for my GC but prefer to sew other than clothing.

My DH and I have an empty nest. We enjoy working in the yard together. I do have 2 hostas. I had 3 last year but lost one. They died down in the winter but came back and are doing well.

I read this forum most every day and have learned a lot. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful. If you come to South Louisiana look me up. We love visitors.

Sally

• love2sew
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm Jean from Southwest Saskatchewan, Canada. I am 63 and married to my wonderful DH 41yrs. We have one grown daughter, not married and no grandkids but a granddog "Hudson" that we really love. We were the third generation family farmers on DH side for 30 years and now we are both retired.

I like so many did garment sewing from a young age. When the fabric stores started to disappear I took up quilting and I love it. I only took a couple classes and could have used a lot more. I belong to a small local quilt guild but this forum is much more fun. I love to hand quilt but I am also trying to get better at machine quilting. This forum is just a wonderful place for friendship, sharing, caring and learning. I hate to miss a day of not seeing what is all happening. Belonging to the Sew Whats Birthday group is the most fun thing I have ever joined and I have already received my beautiful blocks.

So nice to see a lot of new faces, welcome. You will have a great time meeting here and the members are all such wonderful people.
    next....

• anjea
    16 years ago

My real name is Anjea (pronounced "on-jay"), which happens to work well as a user name as not that many people have it! It's sort of a family name - my parents borrowed it from friends, who had combined their mothers' names (Anna ["ahna"] and Jean) for their daughter's name. That Anjea and I share a Valentine's birthday.

I digress.

I am 27 years old, and just finished my masters in communication disorders. I'm currently working as a speech-language pathologist in a skilled nursing facility. I love what I do! I have been married for 2 1/2 years now, and we have two Siberian huskies, Beeker and Bunsen (named after the Muppet scientists). Bunsen is the one in the picture giving me slurpy kisses.

http://pics.livejournal.com/anjea/pic/0003d2hh/t7d5d

I began quilting about a year ago, and I'm so hooked!

• mallaround
    16 years ago

Hi All!

My name is Jill and I will be 55 in three weeks. Boy, the years sure has flown! I am married for the 4th time (which is the charm and I am not trading in this one for anything) for 7 1/2 years. I have three children: a daughter 25 living with me, a son married to a great gal who is in the military in South Carolina and a son 31 who was killed by his wife 9 months ago. So I am still in the heavy, heavy grieving stages. I have two grandchildren: a granddaughter 2 1/2 and a grandson 6 months with a strong chance the military will be shipping them to Korea for four years in the near future. Needless to say, I am heart broken. I live in sunny, blistering hot, Florida. I can't wait to get back to snow country as I miss the winters.

I have been a crafter and sewer almost all my life but I have just gotten into quilting since my son died. It has been my therapy. I did seven quilts in three weeks shortly after his death. I told my husband that if he didn't get off the sofa soon, I was gonna stitch him to it. My quilting skills, I have just picked up on my own and learned off the internet. I found all you guys and have been having a good time with you all.

When I have a down day and think I can't make it one more minute, I jump on here and read what you all have written, see pictures of your projects and get ideas for more quilts. Thank you all for being here because you all aren't just a quilting group, you make a difference to a lot of people. Thank you for being here for all of us.

Jill

• fatquarters
    16 years ago

Welcome newbies!

I am still 40something, married 27 years, 3 grown sons, one 4 yr old step DGS, two 1 year old DGS, and a 10 month old DGD and a new grand due in August. Most of my sewing in the last 2 yrs is baby quilts but have been too busy for much else!

Started sewing as a kid, made my first quilt about 12 years ago but quit until about 5 years ago when I got some better quilt help. Went gung ho for a couple years. I actually had a couple years between teens an grands that I had some time. I am spending most of my spare time with the kids now cause I'm wise enough to know how fast they grow. I won't quit quilting for sure but some quilts will have to wait.

I love this forum and enjoy all the advive and friendship.

• wendyfaye
    16 years ago

Hi,

Faye here from eastern Canada. Just joined the over 50club, desperately wants to be retired, a few finished quilts, a few UFO's, many, many 'in my head but not started yet's and a self-claimed old Singer addict. I won't say how many.

Love this forum, check in every day unless I'm at my cottage, where I've been this weekend. We are such a diverse group.

Hope y'all have a great week.
    Faye

• bettyatp
    16 years ago

Nana24!!!!!!!!!! No Way!!!!!!! I LIVE NEAR MORGAN CITY!

Like 4 miles away!! I can't believe this !!
    Sally , email me please !! We must get together !!

pellissierleobet@bellsouth.net

• chickadee__3a
    16 years ago

Another Canadian here (Northern Ontario). Mid 60's, married 44 years to same DH. We're both retired-I from teaching, he from mining engineering. We live in the country in a lovely wooded area but, unfortunately are still only able to get dial-up service so it's a very slow process looking at all the gorgeous quilts you all post. Our 4 sons are all gainfully employed in their chosen professions, but only 1 lives nearby. We have 4GD's and 2 GS's ,the latest being born April 12th. I'm a bit of a seasonal quilter as gardening and going to our cottage take up much of the summer and fall months. I have sewn for many years, but quilting is my favourite sewing now. I'm currently working on an Irish Chain for my SIL's 60th birthbay in June.
    I finally got myself a camera and as soon as I work my way through all the hoops will begin to post pics.

Note to Amy with her busy boys. My four boys arrived in just six years. Due to his work DH was away a lot, but I survived all their squabbles, moods, various stages, driving motorbikes, snow machines,cars, trucks and all the worries that came with that. So take heart and just enjoy them, have the occasional drink from that wine bottle and just remember that some day they'll be all grown up. And keep on quilting!!

• suntoadmom
    16 years ago

My name is Stephanie. I'm 35,married for 17 yrs and am a stay-at-home mom to Zach(15), Zephan(10),Zara(6),Zia(4)and Zeta Hallie (7mo). We homeschool, have a large garden, are getting ready to build a house (on our own, my husband is a remodeling contractor) and have 1 dog, 2 cats and 12 NEW baby chicks!
    We live in NorthCentral Florida (Gator Country) but lived in Alaska most of our married life. We have moved back and forth twice!

I have been quilting for 10 years. I started when my 2nd son was born and wanted to make him a birth gift.I have been a cross-stitcher for 25 years and made my 1st son a x-stitch afagan for his birth gift and just wanted to do something different, so I went out and bought a sewing machine without even researching. I was lucky I walked into Sears and bought a Kenmore (cheap and still runs great). After that baby quilt was done I started making my maternity clothes and other things. I didn't really like quilting until a year later when a friend showed me her quilting set up and tools. After that I attempted my next quilt with better instructions and tools. I was hooked!
    I have now upgraded to a Janome 6500 and love it.

I have introduced quilting to my MIL who was a sewer of sorts and now is an avid quilter. She was feeling lonely (in Maryland)since so many of her aquaintences worked or were too busy until she got in the quilting network and joined two quilting groups. She now is soooo happy! I love how quilting has helped her. In addition, her sister (they weren't close) started quilting (by suprise) and now they have become closer because they have quilting that draws them together. Isn't that great!

I do alot of of sewing. Unavoidable with so many children and 3 of them girls. I also do Australian rug hooking and old fashioned rug hooking. So I guess you could say I am a HOOKER, too :)

I LOVE this forum and am here every morning with my cup of coffee as well as a couple of times a day to be nosey. It is addicting.

Stephanie

• michigoose
    16 years ago

I'm Lisa (Michigoose) who is now living in SW Ohio--born and raised a Michigander (but female so I'm a goose), exiled to CT for 20 years, and moved to Ohio in 2005.

I'm 47 and taught myself to quilt when I was 12--before they had teachers etc. I learned to sew when I was about 8 from my mom who is a fantastic garment sewer, but I got her into the quilty thing. I didn't know anyone who quilted when I was young and was dumbfounded when I was in High School and my great Aunt Amanda gave me my great grandmother's quilting frame and her unfinished tops.

I am a professionally trained museum curator, who left the field to freelance when my daughter was born 14 years ago. I've been married for 17 years in October. I am a two time breast cancer survivor who has been hanging in there after being diagnosed as stage 4 (10% survival rate over 10 years) 9 1/2 years ago (4 years after the first go around). I encourage everyone to do those self breast exams and to not think they are a hypochondriac if they think they feel anything.....I'm in a lot worse shape because I didn't think I was at risk and then thought I was nuts....

I am an avid gardner, raise orchids and live with my engineering dh (a Cuban refugee who came to the US when he was 8) who puts up with all my ridiculousness. I sell books on Amazon to try to make $ to spend on my quilty habit. We are also owned by two cats (rescues) and a 13 year old Siberian Husky who is gorgeous but a pain in the neck (only when she gets me up at 3 in the morning to go out).

I hand piece when I'm in doctors offices or stuck in the car or at a cross country meet. I just bought an Aurora 440 after having a Bernina 153...and I'm scared to death to try the embroidery module. I also have an underused Janome 300e (which I also haven't really gotten the hang of), and an inherited featherweight.

Theorhetically, I am the editor of the FAQs, but I was dumped out of it by accident when Spike Hernandez sold Gardenweb to iVillage and I can't get iVillage to respond to re-instate me. Go figure.

Love hearing about you all! Keep on sewing!

• bkfdwife
    16 years ago

I think I finally have a minute to write this! Welcome all! I'm Lisa, from Brunswick, Maine. I have been quilting for about 3 years now. Before that I dabbled some in girl clothes, until my DD reached about 7. She's 19 now, and pregnant with my first grand, Annabelle, due around July 14th, which just happens to be my anniversary! I also have a just turned 25 year old son, who lives in Longmont, CO and works for Crocs shoes.
    Lately any quilting has taken a back seat to pillowcase dresses and burp cloths, and whatever else I think I can sell at craft fairs.
    I live at home with my DH, Rick, just turned 42 (I'm 44), and my elderly mom. I can't work outside of the home due to mom's needs, so I should have plenty of time on my hands. If anyone finds that extra time, please let me know where I left it! hehe
    We are owned by a dalmatian, Lucy, and a cat, dweezil. They do a good job of keeping us in line. We are a Firefighter family, Rick is a paid volunteer, and I am the volunteer photographer for 2 departments. Rick is also a warehouse manager, long hours but he loves it.
    I belong to the Nimble Thimble and Scrapmaster birthday groups, and occasionally host a swap. I have found an absolutely incredible bond here amongst the sisterhood, and I cherish each and every one of you. You share my coffee in the morning, (and if you really knew me, you'd know, I don't share my coffee..haha) and I pop in alot during the day. We have all been thru alot of ups and downs together, but like any good relationship, we always come out together and more learned from it. Reminds me of that song..."we are family, I got all my sisters with me....we are family, come on everybody...SING!" hehehe
    hum a few bars Bon, k?
    For those interested, Jayme's baby shower went over real well Sunday, here's a link to the pictures....check out the diaper cake I made, THAT was fun!
    So, thanks for coming out of the woodwork all you lurkers, It's great to see the new folks, and it gives room for more to come in! Jump right in with questions, comments, and of course pictures!!!! Welcome to our family
    Lisa

• allycaz9
    16 years ago

I was gone over the weekend and look at all the entries - doesn't take long to get behind on here!
    I'm Allie from Bakersfield, CA and have been quilting since around 1991 but much more in the last few years. I joined a quilt guild up in a little tiny town in the mountains where I have a cabin, and it's a great bunch of ladies. My passion in quilting is making as many quilts for our charity as I can - they go to the processing center where children go first when they have to be taken out of the home for some reason (such as abuse, etc.)

I have two grown daughters - one is a speech pathologist working with early intervention (preschool) children in Brooklyn, NY which she seems to love (New York City, I mean). The second daughter will graduate June 15th (why I can't go to Oklahoma retreat) from UC Davis Veterinary Med School - and has signed on to do a one year internship in San Diego. She went to USD in San Diego for undergrad so she is glad to be going back.
    At home I have two dogs - a white standard poodle and a black golden-doodle (Golden Retriever/poodle mix) from So. Ca. Poodle rescue and three cats from rescue groups also. Wish I could rescue more, but think I'm done for now!!

Anyone visiting CA, be sure to stop by!

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Sounds like several of us use quilting & this forum for therapy. (((Jill & Lisa)))

• new2quilting
    16 years ago

Hi I'm Amy in Los Angeles. As my name states, I'm New to Quilting (and sewing, rotary cutting, etc!) - only about 6 months! It all begin in October when I was turning 40 and came up with my 40 Things at 40 list - things I wanted to do, some big, like travel or learn language, and some smaller like finish projects. I had bought a small pre-fused applique wall hanging at a quilt show years ago when with a quilting co-worker, and I ironed the pieces on blocks and blanket stitched around them, but I changed jobs and she never helped me finish it. So in October I called the LQS and asked about their "Finish That Project" Friday night class. I told the teacher (Francine) I was a "beginner beginner" and she said I could come but had to bring a sewing machine and user manual. I didn't have a sewing machine and hadn't sewn since the 8th grade (and did it poorly back then!). I borrowed my roommate's new machine (and she and I did a quick tutorial since she hadn't even used it yet) and came in for the 6pm to midnight class. Well, with step-by-step instruction, I finished my little top (and was there way after midnight, my roommate almost called the cops!) and Francine told me to come back next class and quilt it. So I quilted it and bound it and I was pretty much hooked at that point. Francine has been my mentor, very patient and knowledgeable and she has helped me with several small projects, rag quilts, pillows, etc. I took my first beginner quilting class this winter and made a baby quilt. I bought my first ever sewing machine, a Janome Platinum which I love. I have been a long time cross-sticher/embroiderer, rubber stamper, cake decorator, baker, and I love putting colors together, so I'm trying to apply some of those skills to fabric. I found this forum earlier this year by doing an internet search for Fat Quarter Swap (and joined Trifles group) and I've joined several fabric swaps and I'm hosting my first two, the Patriotic Fabrics and the Months of the Year, and I participated in the "It's Not Easy Being Green" challenge. I'm pretty much addicted! I have learned so much and gotten so much support from this group, it's really helped me tremendously! --Amy

How it all begin:

• grandmaquilts
    16 years ago

HI,
    I just got home after the weekend from hell at our church camp. On Thursday the temp. here was 26 C (78.8F for my American sisters) and Friday it snowed - oh the joys of living in Northern Saskatchewan. It was cold and wet all weekend around freezing temp. I ended up cooking in the kitchen for about 50 people - it was the best job because the kitchen was warm.
    My name is Patricia Martin,and as you have gathered I live in northern Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm 64 years old, married and we are kind of retired. I say kind of because I still preach at two churches and we're both on a volunteer board for our church camp. Keeps us busy. We have five children, four children-in-law, fourteen grandchildren and a soon to be born great grandchild. Most of my quilting activities lately have been for the coming baby. I'll post some pictures of my quilts soon.
    I've been quilting for 20 years, maching pieced and hand quilted quilts are my favorite but I do machine quilt baby and child quilts. I have a Viking 500 machine and an old treadle machine. I love this forum, there is no quilt guild where I live, there is one in the city about 30 miles but I hate driving at night (too many deer) so this forum helps to fill that role for me. I love to see your quilts and read the messages.
    Thanks for being here for me!
    Blessings,
    Pat

• kathryni
    16 years ago

Hi. I'm Kay,67 and married to DH for 47 yrs. We live in Dallas and have 3 sons and 1 DIL. My husband is still working, in fact he is as busy as he has ever been so I'm by myself most of the time. We have a yellow Lab who is a lot of fun.

I made clothes for my dolls and my pets (especially the more willing ones) as a child. Soon after I got married I bought a Singer and started sewing clothes for myself and later a few things for my boys. I made draperies etc. for our home. In the 1970's I started doing needlepoint, crochet, and crossstitch, embroidery. I think I tried everything that was popular in those days even macrame.
    I only started trying to learn quilting last fall. I had been visiting the Garden Web for quite awhile and one day I noticed the sewing forum and then the quilting forum. I never knew anyone who quilted but to me it always looked interesting but so difficult. Anyway I enjoyed visiting the site so much that I bought a quilting book and a few supplies and a few pieces of fabric. I finished an "I Spy" top and pieced the back & cut out the batting and it has been waiting for the quilting for several months now. I'm making a baby quilt and have been working pretty steadily. All that is left to do is the binding and I can actually say "Im a quilter" then I'm going to finish the (I Spy) before I start something else. I'm still sewing on my original Singer but I did recently find a walking foot and a darning foot that fits it and I'm really excited about how much the walking foot improves the quilting.
    I'm so glad to have found this forum. The members are so kind to everyone and so willing to share their knowledge.
    Everything I've learned about quilting has been through the forum. I'm a member of the Scrapmasters Birthday group and am really enjoying that.

• gillian_41
    16 years ago

Always late here but I,m 66, born in England marrried an American sailor and came to the states in 1960, 2yrs ago I became a widow quilting kept me going I believe. We had 1 DD who lives next door to me here in lower Alabama 7 miles north of Gulf Shores. This forum is the best have made many friends here who have helped me through good and bad times wether with life or quilting.
    Gillian.

• lynn06
    16 years ago

Hello to all from Minnesota. I hope it's not to late to join this wonderful list of quilters. My name is Lynn and I am 44 years old. My husband of 25 years and I own a hobby farm in west central Minnesota. We have 1 DS and 1 DD who are both married and we also have 3 little darling granddaughters. I have been doing childcare in our home for the past 18 years. We have a five month old bassett hound (Tucker) and it's been a tear filled week since we just lost our 6 yr. old St. Bernard (Buzz) to lymphoma. As far as sewing machines, I own a Viking 500 and my husband just recently surprised me with a Viking Designer 1. Now I need to find the time to get some classes on the embroidery part of it. I have a great lack of time so I have only made a handful of baby quilts so far but I'm hoping that I can pick up on that soon. I have been coming to this forum for quite some time and have always been to chicken to join in but have just loved reading and seeing all the pictures and picking up on hints etc. and also sending prayers when extra were needed. All of you have been such an inspiration to me with your many talents.

• auntkk
    16 years ago

Hi All, I'm Karen. Since I've moved all my life (born in Texas, lived in Okinawa for 5 years, Boston for 3, New York for 10,Alaska for 4, North Carolina for 14, and a whole lotta other places; I consider myself a child of the world. Right now we're in N.C. I just turned 50 (whew!), and have been married to the man of my dreams for 28 years. We have 2 grown children, one married, no grandchildren yet (although I tell my DIL that my biological clock is ready to explode), an adorable 2 year old westie, and my daughter's white capped pionus (small parrot). My Mom taught me how to sew at around 12, and I learned and fell in love with quilting about 6 years ago in Alaska (you have to do something in the dark, but gorgeous, winter nights). I also love to tat, do wildlife photography, and love to travel anywhere in the world I can get to. I'm a grad student starting my last class in 1 1/2 weeks (hurray!) in Adult Education, and volunteer at a local GED center. Our area has been hard hit by trade with China - furniture and mills - so there are literally thousands flooding the local GED programs. It broke my heart, so I decided to do something to help.
    Even though I don't have time to post much, I do appreciate all of you. diligently read as many postings as possible, and drool over all the lovely quilts.

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

Hello there, my name is Tamie, and I have been on here for a little while now. I live with my DH of 26 years in Montana. I took up quilting about three years ago to satisfy my artistic urges, and to have something to do in the winter. Never really sewed before, so it's been a learning experience. I use a trusty old Singer 99, and it's been a real trooper. Oops, just turned 50 in February, when I got some fabulous blocks from the Threadheads on this forum! Nice to meet all of you.

• northbound
    16 years ago

Im Sharon and I was a lurker for a couple of years before I had anything to post about. Ive sewn for a long time but am new to quilting and found that I especially like landscape quilts. I just finished a miniature landscape class with Quilt University and now have about a dozen projects in my head. My husband is supportive of my habit and thinks I need a new sewing machine, so Ill be looking for some advice this summer as soon as schools out. This forum has been so inspiring and informativeand FUN!!!

Sharon C.

• mary_c_gw
    16 years ago

Gracious goodness!!

I stay away for a week, and look what happens, LOL. I should introduce myself to the newcomers. This will be a novel of a post, LOL.

Hi, all! I live in Bee Cave, Texas. My address would tell you it is in Austin, but I love the name Bee Cave, and we now are allowed to use it with the post office.

I'm 50, married 22 years to Tony, an ex-pat from Great Britain. I have 2 adult step-children, John living in Japan with a wife Yoko (yes, they are John and Yoko), and 2 children. Step daughter Susan is married with step-children, but none of her own, and likely to stay that way.

Tony and I also have our son, Paul. He's 20, attending the University of Texas at Austin. Last summer Paul raised $4500 and participated in the "Texas 4000 for Cancer Ride". He rode a bicycle from Austin, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska with a team of 20 other riders. 4500 miles over 70 days. He left a boy, and he and the others returned as adults.

I am now sending him off to Kenya to do a 5 week field study in Kenya. It's an environmental study on the effects of the Masai people and how they interact with the local fauna. He leaves on the 31st, and I do admit to being a bit nervous, even though I know he's a capable adult. Color me the nervous mother, LOL.

So, as for me, I am now putting together the 127 blocks sent by the forum members into Quilts of Valor. I will be posting a couple of new photos soon. I do have some quilts planned for the future, and I'm really looking forward to some of them.

• froggyquilter
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I am a newbie here. My name is Angie and I'm from Moorhead, MN. I was introduced to this site by MaryP and I am hooked!! I don't usually spend too much time on the computer but it seems like when I sign in here I can't leave! I have bene married for 16 years and have a 10 yr old daughter and an 8 yr old son, a golden retriever, 2 guinea pigs, and a frog! I really enjoy seeing pics of everyone's quilts and hearing different ideas. I am really excited to get it on some of the block exchanges!

• fran1523
    16 years ago

I'm Fran from Massachusetts and have been hanging around the forum for four or five years now. I started quilting back in the late 70's but have only gotten really serious about it in the last six years. I am a retired teacher, 65 years old, and lost my husband recently. My two daughters live in NYC and I visit them there often. My 12 year old Springer Spanel, Millie, is my constant companion. In addition to quilting, I love to travel and play bridge. In the fall I am looking forward to meeting other forum members at the quilt retreat in North Carolina.

• marty_mo
    16 years ago

Hello ~

I have been on Garden Web since 2002 for gardening but had never checked to see the other potential forums on this site; I came across the Quilting Forum a couple of days ago and have really enjoyed the comments and pictures of the quilts.

I am Marty and will be turning 43 next month. I have been married for 8 years and have no kids. I live in a small town in Missouri and work full time outside of my home (grrrrrr less time for hobbies). I have many hobbies and have tried numerous things over the years as the newest thing pops on the market I buy into it..lol. I had way to many interest so I finally had to limit myself to a few hobbies and got rid of everything else. I quilt, crochet, machine embroidery and make hand made cards (scrapbook) and I garden.

This past January along with a couple of ladies at work we started a quilting group, currently we are doing two blocks a month and it's been a blast to be included in a quilting group. Once the June blocks are assigned and it's completed I will have to post my picture (if I can figure out how) as I love "show and tell".

Marty in Missouri

• ithinkican_2007
    16 years ago

Hello, I hope I'm not too late to join in. I'm new (dabbled a little 10+ years ago) to quilting. Planning on taking a beginners class in a few weeks with my mother. I'm 52, married 18 years (2nd), had a wonderful healthy DS who would be 32 now (he died at 14 of meningitis- the one with a vaccine now that all youngsters should have early on), and have a DD who is 30, lives with us, has cerebral palsy and has been lifelong wheelchair dependent. She's incredible to manage as well with such little mobility. She's just incredible anyway. She has the best service dog, a 9 yr old golden retreiver named Caesar who helps her so that we can work. We live in a rural area on 6+ acres just a few miles from VA Tech. Have a large collection of fabrics, been sewing since I was about 8. I actually use an old 1941 Singer commercial machine, a 30 year old Kenmore, MIL's old Singer, a Bernina Artista 180, and a Bernina serger. Sewing garments and altering purchased garments for DS has been a pleasant necessary. Done a couple wedding gowns, don't want to do that again. We've been remodeling our new house - new to us- to make it more handicapped friendly. I don't think we'll ever get finished but we've come a long way. With decorating this place in mind (window treatments, etc to make) I keep coming back to wanting quilts on the beds and such. Don't like buying when I enjoyed dabbling in quilting before so much. So it's time. Since my machines just got unpacked (been packed for a year) and my sewing room set up finally, I'm ready and anxious. Oh gosh, where should I start;) You all seem like a wonderful group. I read every post and more. Oh yea, I'm Janice.

• glassquilt
    16 years ago

Welcome, Janice. Glad to have you join us. We like pictures.

• scraphappy
    16 years ago

Welcome to all the newcomers! I think you'll enjoy this forum - it seems to be one of the most active ones here! Mary c, you got 127 blocks? - that is just awesome!

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Welcome Janice. How blessed your daughter is to have a service dog, it amazes me how much assistance they can give. I hope you enjoy our little group.

beverly

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

A big welcome to all you newbies! Janice, we share the same name, though I generally answer to Jan. Service dogs and seeing-eye dogs are awesome! Whenever people here post stories or pictures of their animals I really enjoy that.

• bonnie_nmi
    16 years ago

Hi All -

I'm Bonnie, 62-yrs. old, celebrating my 40th anniversary later this summer. DH and I have two wonderful sons ages 28 and 32. We're both retired teachers- DH for 10 years and me for 5. We have been remodeling a lakefront home in northern Michigan for 5 years. We moved into it a year and a half ago after selling our home of 30+ years in southern Michigan. Our sons both live in the southern part of the state, but they come up often to enjoy Mom and Dad's B & B! Our two Labs - big chocolate Bailey and little yellow Murphy - keep us from having a totally empty nest.

Like many of you, I started sewing on my mother's treadle Singer with only junior high home ec and Mom as my instructors. There were many quilters in my family, but I didn't get into that until the 1970's, when I made a scrap 8-pointed star quilt. I didn't know enough to start on something simple! It's still around somewhere, but I couldn't find it to enter in the ugly quilt contest. I'm sure it would have won! Next I made baby quilts for our sons - 1974 and 1978. Those weren't too bad. After that, I didn't quilt again until my SIL introduced me to rotary cutting and Eleanor Burns's piecing methods. Then I couldn't stop!! I have a little attic sewing room in our recent home addition, and I've pretty much filled it up with a Grace Pro frame and Janome 1600P machine. So far, I've only quilted three Linus quilts on the set-up. (I'll post the pics eventually - I'm really behind.) I'm just finishing the top of a quilt for DS#2's wedding gift and am getting nervous about doing a large queen size on the frame. Before I load it, I will have to go back to practice pieces.

I first joined Garden Web as a Winter Sower. I still practice the technique, but seldom post over there, as I don't consider myself enough of an expert to offer advice to others. I still lurk, though, as that is another wonderful group of people - all so friendly and helpful, as everyone here has been. My other crafting hobbies include knitting, crocheting, counted cross stitch, and basket weaving. We are so busy working on our yard and trying to finish small indoor projects that I haven't been posting much here lately. In fact, I made the MIA thread awhile back! I'm dog-sitting at DS#1's for a few days now, and I'm spending a bit of my free time today on his computer.

I'm still a bit of a newbie myself, but I want to add my welcome to all of you who are just joining. This is such a warm and accepting group. I read once or twice a day even on my busiest days - and I'm looking forward to having more time to post before too long.

Bonnie

• mamabear4
    16 years ago

For some reason I missed this introduction, so here I am at the tail end. I will be 73 on Sunday. Born in June and named June by my grandmother. Married almost 54 years. Grown children from 35 to 51, but during the empty nest years I have done a variety of things, including dressmaking, boutique items and finally decided to make a few quilts. It really stuck.
    How about we find out who is the oldest and youngest member of this group. I am so often the oldest it would do me good to find someone else with the distinction of being older. I will gladly give up that title.

I enjoy this group immensely and don't contribute as often as I could, but I do keep track of all the good ideas you have to offer. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. Thanks for sharing your expertise so generously. June

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

I'm known as Minnie on the boards. I don't do much quilting anymore - actually never did too much. I taught myself back around 1984 from magazines and have posted some of the things I did. I enjoyed the quilting lessons at the Sr Center in Lewisville Texas until I moved on up to NE Texas. Not much going on here. I love the board and enjoy seeing what everyone is doing. I think I'm older than everyone.

• northbound
    16 years ago

June,

You got your wish! There was a thread not too long ago to find out how old we are and Shirl UK is already 73. It's fun to read the posts.

Sharon C.

• maryliz
    16 years ago

Well, I think it's finally time to sit down and write something on this thread. I'm MaryLiz. I live in Michigan, about an hour from Detroit, with my hubby of ten years, and one dog and two cats. No kids. I think the stork lost the map to our house. But I keep busy because our house is a real fixer-upper. We marvel at some of the stuff that we find behind our walls. We will have to do a lot of behind the scenes upgrades before we even get to the decorating stage.

I learned how to sew from a home ec class in 8th grade. We made a floor pillow. Big deal. Then, the lady across the street helped me sew a one-piece jumpsuit for my 4-H sewing project. After that, I did a little bit of apparel sewing and, of course, clothing repairs. I made my own wedding dress.

Less than a year after I got married, a car mowed me down in the crosswalk. I couldn't walk worth a darn. All my interests were sports--no sedentary hobbies, except for reading. I needed something to do with my hands. From my perch on the couch, I had seen some PBS sewing programs. I knew about self-healing mats and rotary cutters. I got myself these tools. I had some old shirts. I cut them up and assembled my first quilt top. Wow, I have sure learned a lot since then! And there is still more to learn.

I first found GardenWeb when I wanted to trade seeds. Now I have more seeds than I can ever plant. I hang out on the quilting forum. I also have two local meet-in-person groups. One is for any type of hand needlework, such as knitting and crochet. We only meet once a month. The other is a hand sewing group that meets every Friday at the LQS. I am so lucky to have found these groups.

My other interests are gardening, downhill skiing, taekwondo, dirt biking, hiking and camping. I like to listen to blues and blues-inspired rock. I know how to crochet and I have been trying to teach myself to knit socks, but I'd rather be quilting. Oh, and I train my dog. She passed the test to become a Canine Good Citizen and we have done some informal (fun match) obedience competition and also some tracking on our own at home. I'd love to learn how to teach her to track better. She is a talented sniffer!

• maryliz
    16 years ago

It has been a while since we have tried to coax some lurkers out to introduce themselves. And we have had a lot of new members lately. We'd love to hear from you all!

• maggiemuffin360
    16 years ago

Hello, everyone. I'm one of those newbies, although I've been hanging out on Garden Web for a few years but mostly on the Far North forum. Hey, I live in northern Ontario & that's definitely Far North...:-)

I am 49 years old...actually days away from 50, married for just over 4 years. Have 2 adult sons, ages 30 and 31; no grandkids yet, actually no DIL or even a prospective DIL!

It seems like I've sewn for forever, although I do remember making doll clothes for my Barbie when I was 10. Learned to sew from my mother on her old Singer treadle - which I actually still have.

Actually did a lot of sewing when my sons were babies & toddlers and then did some quilting, mostly applique and a few pieced quilts. As a stay-at-home mom, I did quite a bit of sewing for an area craft store; turned out to be a rather nice source of pocket money.

I recently rediscovered sewing & quilting; having a fabulous time with new projects. Actually have a dedicated sewing room for the first time in my life. It is fantastic to actually walk away and leave a project, knowing that it will be exactly the same when I return.

Over the past few months, I've been reading all the posts on this forum - am learning, refreshing, getting ideas, etc. etc., so a thank you to everyone for sharing your expertise.

Eeks, this is much longer than I planned; I'll end with a Happy Holidays to all!

Margaret

• maggiebooboo
    16 years ago

Hello, This is my first post here, so here goes.

I am single in my early 40's I have a boyfriend a daughter and an adoreable granddaughter. Who ever knew how much more fun it is to be a gramma than a mom!

I learned to sew when I was nine. It was a 4H subject that I took. I remember taking a pair of zigzag printed pants to the fair and getting a blue ribbon. My sister made the same pants in a different color. They were well made and I loved them at the time, but now they seem kind of funny. Aren't fads fun?

My mom got into quilting a couple of years ago and she helped me make my first quilt last spring. I am hooked and do it in my spare time. I was so inspired that I bought a used Nolting Longarm on a 14' frame! It scares me though and I haven't used it yet.

I found out recently that my boyfriends cousins wife also has a long arm. She will be coming to help me with it when I get back from vacation in a few weeks. This wonderful lady was my sewing teacher in 10th grade. small world.

• mcbird
    16 years ago

How did I miss the quilting forum all this time?
    I'm Mel and have spent what seems like forever on the building forum while we were building our home. Just today I noticed the quilting forum!
    I'm 41, married almost 21 years, we have on DS who is 18 and a freshman in college. We live in Granbury, Tx and I'm learning to love it. I've been quilting since 2002. I'm not great at quilting, but I enjoy it. I mostly make baby quilts for Operation Top Knot for the babies of deployed soldiers. I've had so much fun tonight reading this forum, but alas the dishes must be washed.

• robin1962_2008
    16 years ago

HELLO,I`M ROBIN AND I`M FROM SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA.I JUST DISCOVERED THE GARDENWEB COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND ONLY TODAY FOUND THE QUILTERS.THIS IS WONDERFUL!! IT SOUNDS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!I`M 45 YEARS OLD(UNTIL NEXT WEEK),DIVORCED FROM MY FIRST HUSBAND(OF 23 YEARS)AND MARRIED AGAIN TO A WONDERFUL MAN(SHOULD`VE MARRIED HIM THE FIRST TIME).I HAVE 1 DAUGHTER,SON-IN-LAW AND 2 GRANDCHILDREN THAT LIVE WITH US.MY HUSBAND DIDN`T HAVE ANY CHILDREN BUT NOW HE HAS HOUSEFUL AND HE LOVES IT.HE IS DISABLED AND CAN`T WORK.I WORKED AS A VETERINARY ASSISTANT FOR 18 YEARS.NOW I HAVE SOME HEALTH ISSUES AND CAN`T WORK.I`VE ALWAYS LOVED TO CROCHET BUT DIDN`T HAVE TIME FOR IT WHEN I WAS WORKING.NOW I`VE BEEN DOING SOME CROCHETING BUT MY HANDS GO NUMB AND HURT SO I TRIED QUILTING ON MY OLD SIMPLICITY SEWING MACHINE MY MOTHER-IN-LAW GAVE ME.I MADE MY NEPHEW A SPINNING WHEEL QUILT FOR CHRISTMAS.NOW I`M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR PATTERNS AND FABRIC.I`M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS FORUM!!!

• grammyp
    16 years ago

Welcome Mcbird and Robin, glad to have you with us. Please feel free to jump in and join any of our swaps, ask questions, answer questions, or just drool over pictures (drooling is my favorite).

beverly

• idahoqltr
    16 years ago

My name is Debra and I live in Idaho near Boise with my husband of 33 years. He is a peppermint farmer. Our older daughter lives within a mile and just had her first child a month ago. What fun!! Our younger daughter is due to graduate from SDSU in May and then wants to be a international travel person. I've been quilting since 1990 and it is an addiction that grows faster with each passing year. I have quilt checks, t-shirts, ... Vacations are often planned around quilt shows or at least quilt shops. I am on several quilt forums and am in a small weekly group and regularly attend the monthly quilt party at Craft Warehouse. I just got a Little Gracie II frame and Juki 98QE and am trying to get it all figured out.

• naturelover_2007
    16 years ago

Wow! I found another of my passions and can tell from reading this long post that we all share some of the same! My name is Theresa, I am 48, I live in South Carolina and I have been on many of the other garden sites over the past year and saw this one today. I began reading this post and had to join in. I began sewing as soon as I could hold a needle and thread. Over the years I have made every kind of craft I could and still enjoy learning new ones. I have a 1997 Kenmore and an older singer. I started my sons graduation quilt when he was born and finished it just in time for college. His was a crazy patch that used some of the clothes he wore as a child. My daughter designed her quilt and I made it of yellow pink and blue flannel squares that have a rag seam. I joined our local quilt guild several years ago and have made blue jean quilts my thing. I save all the jeans that I beg from my friends and use that as the backing fabric to the quilt tops that I machine piece. I usually tie these as they are rather bulky. I am married to my highschool sweetheart and we celebrate 30 wonderful years this October. My son just finished his degree in broadcast journ. at University of South Carolina, with his mind set on a master in weather..I have a daughter that is a second year education major that just this past Christmas (Dec.23)gave me a wonderful new grandson..Glad to meet fellow quilters and share the personal touch as it seems to bring us all together! Thanks to all of you for taking your time to share!

• treynmama
    16 years ago

Hi there, my name is Jean,from Ohio, I am 73 years young and have quilted (not really very good) on and off for the last 10-12 years, mostly self taught. I am a nurse by trade and do still work occassionally. I have a great husband (the same one for 53 yrs), 7 children (all grown) and 15 grandchildren. There is also 1 great grandchild. Two of the grandchildren, a 7 yr.old and a 2 yr.old I watch daily. My husband bought me a New Joy frame as a gift but I still haven't mastered how to load the quilt on it, I am trying though and I know I'll master it soon. I like the group and their questions, some of which I had often thought of myself. Hope to improve my quilting, greatly. Thanks to all for your input.

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

I could have sworn I introduced myself last month when I joined, but apparently not! I just turned 46, am a homeschooling mother of six girls and a boy. The youngest two are still at home (daughter-17 and son-16). I collect and use antique sewing machines and have had a machine quilting business, finishing quilt tops for other collectors, using one of my treadle sewing machines--the kind with the big foot pedal--no motors in my studio! My specialty is patternless free motion, but I'm phasing out of the business to devote more time to my own projects, including the overdue wedding quilts for our three married daughters. I've really enjoyed this forum--what a lovely bunch of ladies you all are!

Annie

• katy122
    16 years ago

Hi! My name is Sue and I am going on 63 years, I have three daughters, all grown and on there own, three grandchildren, two boys and a 10 year old girl child. Seems like I have been sewing all my life, love to knit and crochet and love quilting to death, my time sewing since my husband has retired is always being interupted and it really drives me nuts, I do not "multi-task" very well anymore, I use to be able to do three things at once and not miss a beat, not anymore, I guess it goes with my age or something. I also like to garden.

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

I thought that I had done this before but didn't see me here so decided to join.
    I am 74 almost 75 (in May). I have 2 daughters, 4 granddaughters, 1 grandson. 5 gr.grandsons and 2 gr.granddaughters. A DH of 57 yrs. Live in fingerlakes reg. of NY. I have been sewing for about 60 years but quilting for 30. Joined the forum last year sometime and have enjoyed meeting everyone. Decided to copy this thread and keep as a reference.
    Besides sewing I like to travel, collect fabric and READ!!
    Jayne

• ddavisgray
    16 years ago

Wow, our forum is so diverse!!

It looks like this thread is streaching a long way. I read it last year and have so much fun renewing aquantiances.
    Then I realized I had never posted on this thread.

Well better late than never.

I'm Doris. I live in Sulphur Springs, Texas with my husband of 30 years, our 14 year old daughter (granddaughter) a cat, Patches, three dogs, Rowdy who really belongs to my other daughter, Benny, he's almost a year old. Then there's Bullet that lives outside. He is a red/Blue Heeler that guards our yard from his cable run from the big bad skunks that likes to sneak under house in the spring.

About two and half years ago, we leased this house because it's next door to my Mom and Dad. I can truthfully these have been the happiest times of my life being near my parents. My Dad passed last year in July and I'm so glad I can be here next door to my Mom.
    The house is so tiny, it's overstuffed and overflowing with 30 years of accumulation. But that's alright, some day I'll have a yard sale and have the money to buy a long arm quilting machine of my very own.

I also have 2 daughters,one that lives not 5 minutes away and one in El Paso, Texas.
    I also have two sons.One in the Navy and stationed in San Antonio, he just returned from Afganstan last month, I'm so glad he's back home for a while.
    My other son did a stint in the Navy and is married to a wonderful woman that's still in the Navy and they have two beautiful children giving me a grandson and granddaughter in Florida.

The is me on the right, and my cuson

I had no idea I was that short until I saw this picture!

I've been sewing forever and just began quilting and piecing 2 years ago.
    I too come from a large family of crafters. I was blessed enough to have sewn with my Great Grandmother when I was a teen. She pieced quilts, wove rugs, embroidered and just about everyting you can think of.

Granny Jones

Taken when Granny was 97 years old

I garden and like to can my vegetables and make jelly. I do a little woodwork but can't sing or dance.

I'm so glad to be apart of this forum.
    You guys are great.

doris

• adpi4
    16 years ago

Hi, my name is Lori from suburban Chicago. I have to admit I am a bit glassy-eyed from reading this thread...it will take a while for me to remember you all. I am glad to meet you and enjoyed reading your stories. I laughed when I read about the Hookers... I used to tell people I was a drug dealer (I am a Pharmacist, part-time, large chain) I am closing in on 50, married to my college sweetheart (27 years) have 2 sons, 18 & 17. My first memories of sewing are in 8th grade. My mom was an awesome seamstress, but I mostly leaned on my own. I did some garments through high school and college, left sewing for a while, came back when I had kids. I found less pleasure in sewing for boys so I started sewing for my nieces (dresses, doll clothes). Then my college roommate (home ec major) sparked my interest in quilting. My first quilt was for a beloved pre-K teacher who's husband was being transfered to MN. It wasn't a "quality" product...I had the kids (3 & 4 year olds) and their parents to my house to make quilt blocks using fabric paint and who knows what...then I pieced it and stitched in the ditch. That started it all!
    I will admit here, although most who know me, know this about me.. I am a fabric junkie. I have yet to complete a successful rehab of my addiction. I don't think I own a quilt that I have made. (UFOs don't count) The pre-K teacher's quilt got me started on a series of teacher's quilts. I made a quilt for each teacher (through 6th grade) when my youngest son finished the grade. Both sons went to a small Lutheran school, one son right after the other.. I kind of felt like it was combat pay for the teacher, surviving both boys. I had a common theme for these quilts, Each year I would trace the hands of the students in the class and formulate a quilt around the choosen theme of the school year. My youngest son transfered schools after 6th grade. I had planned on his 8th grade quilt to have had a current handprint and an "original" handprint (from JK or whenever a student arrived at the school), but that quilt never came to be.
    I found the GardenWeb when I was doing a kitchen rennovation a couple of years ago.(a 20+ year in the making project) I stumbled upon the quilt forum when I did a google search on longarm machines. I recently purchased a Tin Lizzie (used from Ebay) I haven't recieved it yet, a bit nervous about it. I own an old singer (was my high school graduation gift),an antique treadle machine, a babylock serger (LOVE IT)and my workhorse Brother Ult 2001. I also love machine embroidery (many of my quilts have some embroidery somewhere) and digitizing. It's kind of amazing for someone who never thought she had an artistic bone in her body.(Math and Science -yes).
    I am currently working on:
    1. a quilt for an assistant pastor who is retiring. (should be working on that right now...)
    2. college for son A (senior in high school)
    3. college for son B (junior in high school)
    4. sorority items for nieces and friend's daughters... found I loved to make gift items when my oldest niece joined a sorority her freshman year. I have made tote bags, pillowcases, night lights, sweatshirts, pillows, photo albums..My favorite is the quilt I made for my niece (picture in the gallery)
    Notice missing from this list... housework... never on my to do list if I can help it.

Ok, I will also admit I like to chat... I can be wordy...
    thanks for listening..

Lori

• rivgdn
    16 years ago

Hi, my name is Jenny and this is my second year in the birthday swap.

My first quilt was a dresaden plate. My wonderful Mother - in-law of 35 years taught me how to quilt and her words were; IF I TEACH YOU AND GIVE YOU MATERIAL YOU HAD BETTER FINISH IT! God's truth, she scared me. We machine sewed all the plates, then appllqued them onto blocks. I did not think it would ever be finished, and guess what?? She has never finished hers!!!! She is 82 and when she visits we do at least 6 quilt tops, within 3 weeks. She wears me out!

Ron and I have three wonderful "children", 5 grandchildren and in December we had our first G G daughter. We live in Terre Haute, In. (Born and raised in Davenport Iowa). I went back to college when my last left home and became a landscape architect and own and operate a landscaping company. I love the outdoors, so quilting for me is done mostly in the winter. I have had the time to set up an awesome sewing room. Awesome to me, cause 3 years ago, I only had 3 blue totes and an antique table. My friends think it only lacks a fridge and a long arm. When business gets hetic, I can hide there.

I just turned 60 and Ron is retired and helps me with the business. I am cutting back on hours this year, so I can sew, garden (for me only)and enjoy life a bit more. We love to travel and use our camper and boat. The camper has a cubby just for my sewing things. I also bought a GPS, you can plug in quilt stores and it will get you there.

Again, I have enjoyed the forum and the birthday swap group, Jenny

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio