Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltnhen

Fabric Frustration!

quiltnhen
9 years ago

I went shopping for backing for my current quilt and didn't find anything I liked. After researching some of the fabrics online that are included in the quilt from my stash I thought I'd gotten really lucky.

I found the fabric on the "Find My Fabric" website. However, the links to the location failed, saying that the website wasn't up yet. It's a shop in Florida and I couldn't reach them by phone either. Do any of you Floridians know the shop, Byrd's Nest Fabrics? Are they generally reputable? If I ever reach them I'll be buying 6 yards, so I really hope they're trustworthy.

Have a wonderful weekend.
LindaB/CA

Comments (10)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Try this link, LindaB.

I've never been there, but it's owned by a gal that was on another forum. The last I knew, they were going strong.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Byrds Nest Facebook

• quiltnhen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Good to know. I guess I'll try during tomorrow's store hours.
    LindaB/CA

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I always have the same frustration with backings, unless you can settle for wide muslin, it's expensive for the wide printed backings, and when you use regular 44-inch fabric it takes a lot of yardage. Lately I have been piecing backings with fabrics out of my stash, just randomly using whatever, but it is time consuming and takes planning, something that when you are in that stage of quilt-making seems daunting since you want to get the dreaded sandwiching done and move on to the next phase. And when I do look at the printed wide backings I usually don't find one that I really want to use. I wonder if anyone has come up with a really cool way to handle pieced backings similar to Bonnie Hunter's leaders and enders idea of gradually doing it ahead of time during other projects?

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

What if you made a plan to cut and sew squares together of a certain size - maybe 10-inch, 12-inch or 15 inch or even larger if you make large quilts - to make a pieced backing for your current project? Set yourself a limited amount of time to stack and cut, the sew together "X" number of blocks all the same size, then set this aside in a "safe place" and label it "back for ---------- quilt.

The other thing that I sometimes do is a "partially" pieced back:
    using extra blocks from the top or "orphan" blocks, I piece these blocks together then add side pieces of lengths of fabric in colors or fabrics that complement the top colors.....or not! You could even use plain or white muslin for the side pieces or even a bed sheet if you desire.

Teresa

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Using Teresa's idea of a partially pieced back, here is a pic of one I did several years ago. I did not have enough of the blue for a full back so I used extra blocks from the front and the yellow also from the front to make the back large enough for the top.
    Theresa
    Ps that little girl, DGD, is now 23 years old.

• quiltnhen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for great suggestions. I often piece the backgrounds. One became so elaborate on a small quilt that it became another top!

Love the photo.

The reason for wanting this one to be plain was that the top itself is kind of busy and loud. I thought if he didn't fancy it, he could turn it over for a change. I'll probably cave and add a few of the front strips since I have some leftovers. Just didn't want to piece 5 yards.

Guess I'd better run inside while I'm thinking about it and call the shop in Florida. Taking break from filling the new planting area for my tomatoes. One already has two tomatoes maturing. Hopefully it will transplant ok from the big black pots I have them in.

LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back to the drawing board. The shop didn't have the fabric they showed.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I finally made the decision. Found a backing I can live with online and on sale.
    LIndaB/CA

• meldy_nva
    9 years ago

Glad you found a backing you like!

I've been looking at the backing fabric I bought on sale for the not-in-my-box top, it's okay, it's fine quality fabric, but the design's not to my taste, the colors don't quite go with the top --- and considering the top is scrappy, that's saying something! I woke up this morning (never discount what your brain does while you sleep) and realized I'd been dreaming about that fabric ... visualizing oversized hourglass blocks, oversized pinwheels, even huge 9-patch blocks, all with the not-quite-right as a uniting theme. I can see it in 15" hourglass (maybe 10"?) blocks using the NQR in combo with some of the scrap fabricS used in front. I don't have many *big* pieces of fabric in my stash but nothing says I can't turn strips into hourglasses ;)

• quiltnhen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amazing what sparks creativity. Sounds like a big new project!
    LindaB/CA

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia